HSV Forum


Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,588

    Summer is almost here, do you plan on racing?

    Because everyone with a chiller is going to be!

    How does the chiller effect your HP in summer time?
    Typically on the dyno (with a dyno fan which favors the non interchiller run) we see a 40-45rwhp gain throughout the entire power curve. This is on a typical 20-25c day.

    This example would be say you currently make 600rwhp on a 20-25c day well now you will make 645rwhp with the chiller.

    However when we tested on a 37c day we didn't find 40-45rwhp we found 77rwhp.

    Now don't get confused here thinking now you're going to make 677rwhp that is not the case.

    What will happen is the car will make 568rwhp on that 37c day without the chiller and it will still make around 645rwhp with the chiller.

    Now in the real world you don't have a dyno fan there for your non interchiller run, based on ignition timing and 1/4 mile MPH we are seeing on average a 60rwhp gain on a 20-25c day with the chiller at the track. (Customers and workshops can confirm)

    Last year on a 41c day a customer raced his car and lost only 1mph compared to the week prior when it was 26c.

    Any form of Forced Induction creates heat, and in summer time it's even worse, the solution, fix and HP gain + retention of HP is to install a chiller.


















    2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

    Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    29
    Hi GenF GTS. This is the first time I've seen pictures of a chiller system on a LSA. Is it normal for the pipes to ice up on the system. Only reason I'm asking. I don't know nothing about how the chill system works,but I've read a lot of good things on this forum. I work as a air conditioning tech doing repairs and maintenance on commercial buildings. When I see ice build up on the suction pipe, I normally think its short on refrigerant or there's a blockage in the system. I know the Ac systems in cars are critical charged. I'm just wandering cause I know R134A is a low pressure gas. Do you need to add extra refrigerant in the system to compensate. I can see your temps with your digital temperature gauge and it seems to be working well. Temps are spot on. Anthony

    Sent from my E6653 using HSV Forum mobile app

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    544
    I'm doing the 6 hour regularity at Eastern Creek next Easter in my GTSR. (And cook in the VE)
    I know you don't think S/C engine's are any good at circuit events, but I'm
    going to give it a red hot go...
    What is one of your kits worth? I was going to leave mine standard but thinking
    chiller, maybe Harrop air intake, pulley, injectors & tune???
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    6,910
    Quote Originally Posted by antr8lsa View Post
    Hi GenF GTS. This is the first time I've seen pictures of a chiller system on a LSA. Is it normal for the pipes to ice up on the system. Only reason I'm asking. I don't know nothing about how the chill system works,but I've read a lot of good things on this forum. I work as a air conditioning tech doing repairs and maintenance on commercial buildings. When I see ice build up on the suction pipe, I normally think its short on refrigerant or there's a blockage in the system. I know the Ac systems in cars are critical charged. I'm just wandering cause I know R134A is a low pressure gas. Do you need to add extra refrigerant in the system to compensate. I can see your temps with your digital temperature gauge and it seems to be working well. Temps are spot on. Anthony

    Sent from my E6653 using HSV Forum mobile app
    Those lines are holding coolant, not refrigerant. They feed/return to/from the intercooler. The chiller works by super chilling the coolant, which feeds in to a water to air intercooler inside the supercharger. The hot, compressed air then passes thru this before entering the motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    I'm doing the 6 hour regularity at Eastern Creek next Easter in my GTSR. (And cook in the VE)
    I know you don't think S/C engine's are any good at circuit events, but I'm
    going to give it a red hot go...
    What is one of your kits worth? I was going to leave mine standard but thinking
    chiller, maybe Harrop air intake, pulley, injectors & tune???
    You need the AC running for the chiller to work. The AC will cut out at higher RPM on a circuit so it doesn't work as well as it does on a quarter mile which is only a short duration at higher RPM (and the FII reservoir has enough capacity to last the 9-11 seconds that most LSA's are running).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    20
    After a few hot days in Sydney I am already enjoying the benefits and feel the purchase was worthwhile. Sydney traffic with basically no airflow the system still performs outstandingly well.

    The IAT is very low and consistent each drive. Flick it into Comp/Race mode and the IAT is ice cold in a few minutes.

    The added bonus is the colder than stock AC.
    2016 VF II SSV-R Wagon with LSA Blower

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by antr8lsa View Post
    Hi GenF GTS. This is the first time I've seen pictures of a chiller system on a LSA. Is it normal for the pipes to ice up on the system. Only reason I'm asking. I don't know nothing about how the chill system works,but I've read a lot of good things on this forum. I work as a air conditioning tech doing repairs and maintenance on commercial buildings. When I see ice build up on the suction pipe, I normally think its short on refrigerant or there's a blockage in the system. I know the Ac systems in cars are critical charged. I'm just wandering cause I know R134A is a low pressure gas. Do you need to add extra refrigerant in the system to compensate. I can see your temps with your digital temperature gauge and it seems to be working well. Temps are spot on. Anthony

    Sent from my E6653 using HSV Forum mobile app
    As whitelie said what you're seeing there is condensation and ice formation from the intercooler fluid being so cold compared to the ambient air temp, the chiller works by supercooling the intercooler fluid, that fluid then cools your chargers intake air.

    The AC system is definetly charged correctly we've video proven it to have better than GM spec for vent temps on a 41c day and we have tested it on a 48c day but without video, cabin AC in my opinion especially in our pride and joy cars is of the highest importance.

    Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    I'm doing the 6 hour regularity at Eastern Creek next Easter in my GTSR. (And cook in the VE)
    I know you don't think S/C engine's are any good at circuit events, but I'm
    going to give it a red hot go...
    What is one of your kits worth? I was going to leave mine standard but thinking
    chiller, maybe Harrop air intake, pulley, injectors & tune???
    There are various package prices eg add a reservoir knock money of the price add a spacer plate knock more off the price etc so best off emailing for the break down.

    Whilst I do highly disagree with circuit racing a supercharger I have customers that do it and they are better for it.
    With the 6.5L reservoir plus chiller, hoses you have about 10L of fluid volume with the front heat exchanger also retained it would be 11-12L.

    What you do is cool your fluid volume down before racing get it all nice and cold and then your charger is going to struggle to heat that volume back up, customers have noted better intake temps on the circuit with the chiller.

    In my opinion if you really wanted to last as long as possible you would use the chiller, heat exchanger, reservoir and also a decent 20L boot tank so you just have so much volume that the charger will struggle to heat it all up.

    2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

    Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty82 View Post
    After a few hot days in Sydney I am already enjoying the benefits and feel the purchase was worthwhile. Sydney traffic with basically no airflow the system still performs outstandingly well.

    The IAT is very low and consistent each drive. Flick it into Comp/Race mode and the IAT is ice cold in a few minutes.

    The added bonus is the colder than stock AC.
    Yes as you know our charging method of the AC system results in a perfect 100% charged AC system and many people note the AC is better than factory, something that is only done via the methods that have been employed into the system.

    And I think you had a -4c intake temp from memory?

    2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

    Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    Yes as you know our charging method of the AC system results in a perfect 100% charged AC system and many people note the AC is better than factory, something that is only done via the methods that have been employed into the system.

    And I think you had a -4c intake temp from memory?
    Hey Kirk,

    Yes specs given in the instructions were spot on.

    Yes -4*C is my best IAT.

    Had a 33*C day at Richmond a few weeks ago with an IAT of 9/10*C in Normal
    Mode driving back home. Pre Chiller I would have been around low 40's *C IAT.

    Cheers
    2016 VF II SSV-R Wagon with LSA Blower

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    29
    Thanks for the info guys. Very interesting to know. I'm impressed how it all works. Very smart technology. Is it worth putting a interchiller on a weekend cruiser.

    Sent from my E6653 using HSV Forum mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by antr8lsa View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Very interesting to know. I'm impressed how it all works. Very smart technology. Is it worth putting a interchiller on a weekend cruiser.

    Sent from my E6653 using HSV Forum mobile app
    Yes it is.

    Once you drive a car with a chiller you wont go back.
    Every customer and I mean every customer loves their chillers, I have guys telling me how great it is all the time, plenty of them daily drive them or weekend cruise the car.

    On a hot day when you lose HP to heat it's all over and you can feel the car lacks power, not only does that not happen with the chiller but you are gaining HP.

    NickGTS said when he first bought his senator that he wasn't going to put a chiller on it as he was going to go mild with the mods etc (he previously had a chiller on his GTS).

    After 1 meeting at the drags and 1 hot day driving home from work the phone call came through of when can i get one.

    The facts are these blowers make heat, lots of heat, cooling them down gets you back what you lost to heat and then some.
    The blower without a chiller has no consistency where as with the blower you can run back to back times or power runs with the exact or very near exact same numbers.

    You've got consistency and more HP

    2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

    Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.







Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •