HSV Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 Last >>

Thread: Bonnet venting

Bonnet venting

So i'm looking for opinions please. After going for a spirited drive yesterday i opened the bonnet noticed more heat than i had previously noticed before supercharging. So i figure i have three options.

1, Leave bonnet as it is.

2, Add discrete bonnet vents as can be seen in the picture.
    http://www.3rdesign.co.uk/RS_Style_B..._16119167.aspx

3, Or go with this option which most of us have seen before
    http://www.revheads.com.au/images/Pa...s/BS50_big.jpg
    Last edited by NU13; 08-10-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Im a fan of the camaro type bonnet vents! Whilst on the topic of venting i was very disappointed to find out that the Gen F fender "vents" are not real vents! They were actual vents on the E-Series and i remember feeling a fair bit of heat escaping through them on my E-Series GTS!

Option one is good. Gen-F GTS doesnít have any vents or over heating issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

I went for option 3.
    My 07 GTS is also SC ( vortech ) and it generates a lot of heat through the exhaust.
    Long story short - I bought it in 2016, it was already SC ( no bonnet scoop ).
    I did a few fun events and the heat was so bad that my AIT and oil temps were through the roof.

We open up the bonnet, put the Walkinshaw scoop on things settled down.
    Looks great too.[IMG]25 January 2017 (1) by John Lancuba, on Flickr[/IMG]

HEDSUP walky scoop 6.12.2016 by John Lancuba, on Flickr

LS2 V3 Vortech Supercharged
    607rwhp

So bonnet donít have the vents in or open ? Sorry if a silly answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u want any additional vents on the bonnet to allow the hot air to exit the engine bay area, some that allow more air to enter the engine bay can make it worse u want the bay to be low pressure and bonnet and underneath to be high pressure areas that way more air is drawn in thru radiator and more is drawn out via underneath or vents in bonnet like hedsup style would work well

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    u want any additional vents on the bonnet to allow the hot air to exit the engine bay area, some that allow more air to enter the engine bay can make it worse u want the bay to be low pressure and bonnet and underneath to be high pressure areas that way more air is drawn in thru radiator and more is drawn out via underneath or vents in bonnet like hedsup style would work well
    Would that mean, the e2 / e3 bonnets are actually doing more harm then good?

Quote Originally Posted by HEDSUP View Post
    We open up the bonnet, put the Walkinshaw scoop on things settled down.
    [IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/X27z8b]
    That is a smooth install. Love how its been blended in with the bonnet. And not look like something was just just thrown on top.

Thanks xplaya.
    I had the scoop moulded to the bonnet, then sprayed the whole front end, guards, bonnet, bar.
    Looks OK.

Its functional too. The mount of heat that it lets out is amazing.
    I'll pull up. switch off the engine and within seconds the heat soak starts to gush through vents.

LS2 V3 Vortech Supercharged
    607rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by xplaya View Post
    Would that mean, the e2 / e3 bonnets are actually doing more harm then good?
    id say they are more for looks but may help a little depending on vehicle speed, all depends if engine bay and outside are same pressure then air wont flow in, air wont always flow into radiator because u are driving there has to be a high pressure in front and low pressure behind it adding more air behind it increases the low pressure in engine bay making it closer to pressure in front causing less flow

Thread Information