HSV Forum

Page 2 of 3 First << 123 Last >>

Thread: tesla s

Batteries will move from lithium (rare and expensive) to a more readily available alternative. There is an Aussie firm (1414?) heading up molten silicon batteries that are cheap and efficient.
    Couple cheap, swappable batteries with automated driving on major highways and you'll only be driving the back streets and using that travel time productively to troll HSV forums.
    My Rides: 2013 VF SS Auto Sportswagon in Nitrate (OTR CAI, Headers, Brembo 4 pots all around, DBA T3 rotors, Paddleshift kit, Bilstein shocks on King springs);
    2014 Gen F HSV GTS Auto in Sting Red (stock for now)

Quote Originally Posted by markalan1two View Post
    Petrol cars might be a thing of the past, but in this country how in the hell will the Australian power grid cope with the influx of charging all those electric cars? We don't even have enough power to run everyone's air con in the hotter months without offering movie tickets to turn off your appliances. Big trouble ahead........................
    Coal, nuclear and hydro power stations produce power 24/7, with usage at nighttime dropping to below 50%, but the power stations cannot be turned off at night time, so people can charge at night time without needing to increase a city's power output.

[QUOTE=GenF-GTS;188422]Australia is a big country and many people drive long distances, those who dont drive far are going to be able to easily commute with an electric car, eg drive to work, charge it up, drive home charge it up or just charge once per week etc.

Less than 1% of people drive long distances, i've heard it so many times... "i cant drive to sydney", "when was the last time you drove to sydney", "5 years ago", "well next time you drive to sydney hire a car for $200

[QUOTE=white_lie;188424]I don't quite get why they don't swap batteries already. Not everyone wants (or is able) to wait around for 20-30 minutes for a quick charge. When filling the tank with petrol takes all of 5 minutes and you're on your way again.

You really need to charge that bad? when do you ever do more than 350km's a day? recharge at night time, its not that hard.

There is a lot of misconceptions about electric cars, by 2030 most countries will have prohibited the sale of petrol cars, starting with europe. I have spent a fair bit of time in my mates Tesla P90D and it is the most amazing car ever, hard to find a better daily. Except the price, but with the new Model 3 coming out, and within 5 years mercades, bmw, VW, will all have 100% electric cars in every single model.

It will spurn battery technology, and most of these arguments which are barely relevant now will be negligable in 5 years.

P.S i LOVE V8's, i LOVE V12's... i'm waiting on my HSV Maloo this month. But fact is cars emit close to 20% of the worlds emissions, and like i said above, electricity gets wasted at night time coz you cannot power up or down the power plans, so it is essentially free fuel for everyone, except i'm sure the power companies will remove their off peak rates... bastards!

2017 HSV Maloo R8 LSA - Heron White - #142

[QUOTE=gmak;188442]
    Less than 1% of people drive long distances, i've heard it so many times... "i cant drive to sydney", "when was the last time you drove to sydney", "5 years ago", "well next time you drive to sydney hire a car for $200

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    I don't quite get why they don't swap batteries already. Not everyone wants (or is able) to wait around for 20-30 minutes for a quick charge. When filling the tank with petrol takes all of 5 minutes and you're on your way again.

You really need to charge that bad? when do you ever do more than 350km's a day? recharge at night time, its not that hard.
    Pretty common in WA to travel long distances, 350 doesn't get you that far really

Gen-F GTS with your #4 i was reading to other day that by adding carbon into Li-ion batteries allows them to be charged in 1/100th of their usual charge time.
    Not sure what that means for the car industry though. But I'd expect battery tech to advance faster than it has since it's inception.
    Last edited by Audi; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:31 PM.
    Zorst video: https://youtu.be/R0oKu5PMQG4
    Water Proof Arrma Kraton on 6S: https://youtu.be/ZZMs7dDCCAY

#21 2001 VX R8 series II
    #16 2006 HSV Dealer Team ClubSport
    #771 2010 E2 GTS

Coal, nuclear and hydro power stations produce power 24/7, with usage at nighttime dropping to below 50%, but the power stations cannot be turned off at night time, so people can charge at night time without needing to increase a city's power output.

i think you missed my point, we don't have nuclear, and coal is now becoming extinct with no plans to build new ones, all we have is wind sun rain, if the uptake one electric vehicles is near the targets the companies are hoping for their will not be enough power.

We still get over 2/3rds of our power from coal.

Dont be fooled by what the greenies tell you, it really wont drop below 50%, unless they replace coal with nuclear.

Totally agree people in rural area's will need petrol cars, but again, half their population is in perth. imagine where electric cars have come since 2007... now think where they will be in 2027.

2017 HSV Maloo R8 LSA - Heron White - #142

Power plants do change load and coal fired plants can and do shut down over night. Not ideal because the cost of oil and gas to kick them in the guts in the morning is horrific. Plants go ftom base load to cyclic operation as part of their design life.

There will be no new coal plants built here and that includes HELE designs.

Large scale storage is the big roadblock at the moment and the best solution is pump/storage hydro but batteries will get better and better and they and renewables are the future. Storage is key because that will allow time for peaking gas fired plant to start up when extra power is needed and renewables cannot deliver.

Nor will there be a nuclear station built though I can sell you one if you want. It will be expensive.

i dont see mass adoption until Graphene batteries become widely used. Lithium ion, both for cars and storage aren't good long term, their capacity and voltage drops over time.

im also of the belief we couldn't mass adopt electric cars with our current baseload power. no govt has the guts to put forward nuclear power. low carbon coal fire plants maybe... but we arent solving it with windmills and solar.

the labor party should show bipartisan support for new coal fire projects, they can always use the libs signing off on them in their election campaigns. who cares, as long as we get more baseload power.
    2017 Tourer R8 30th Anniversary
    2013 Gen-F R8 SV Tourer manual - gone

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    Power plants do change load and coal fired plants can and do shut down over night. Not ideal because the cost of oil and gas to kick them in the guts in the morning is horrific. Plants go ftom base load to cyclic operation as part of their design life.

There will be no new coal plants built here and that includes HELE designs.

Large scale storage is the big roadblock at the moment and the best solution is pump/storage hydro but batteries will get better and better and they and renewables are the future. Storage is key because that will allow time for peaking gas fired plant to start up when extra power is needed and renewables cannot deliver.

Nor will there be a nuclear station built though I can sell you one if you want. It will be expensive.
    You are on the money with pump hydro for storage. It's incredibly efficient and can be produced wherever you have grade (i.e. dividing range mountains) and water. Renewables plus pump hydro will more than adequately replace coal in Australia.
    My Rides: 2013 VF SS Auto Sportswagon in Nitrate (OTR CAI, Headers, Brembo 4 pots all around, DBA T3 rotors, Paddleshift kit, Bilstein shocks on King springs);
    2014 Gen F HSV GTS Auto in Sting Red (stock for now)

So this video was uploaded 9 years ago, he managed to make perpetual energy from a pool pump and some spoons attached to a bicycle wheel, surely if a home tinker-er can make free energy and nearly electrocute himself these companies can also do it.

Skip to 2:15sec

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Thread Information