HSV Forum

Cool My Trip To The HSV Factory

After a many, many years of dreaming I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the HSV factory in Clayton yesterday to see my GTSR being built

First up, I'll post up some photos as soon as I can

What I'd really like to say is several things.

It makes you immensely proud of what we as Australian's can do in the automotive world, but also very sad to see basically the end of our local automotive industry too. The level of engineering and work HSV/WG do is simply first class and can match any manufacturer in the world. HSV/WG will be the only local vehicle manufacturer left in Australia.

To actually see all the front and rear bars lined up, side skirts, to see the GTSR and W1 wheels are actually painted red first just to get the red in the "R" and "1" before they are painted black and dark stainless, how they position the badges for application, those enormous 410mm front discs (I mean not even pizza comes that big), the entire bare front end of a W1 being built right (I mean no guards or skins whatsoever and every single thing removed from the engine bay only showing the bare chassis rails) through to the DATA DOT application is absolutely amazing! The ingenuity and engineering HSV have been performing now for 30yrs is simply amazing and then some.

I was lucky enough to have a look at the Dodge Ram trucks WG change to RHD for the Australian market. Now there is great speculation and anticipation of an number of USA based LHD vehicles coming to Australia very soon, and yes I even mentioned on behalf of a dealership that gave me the information about the SS Camaro that will hit our sales rooms after July 2018.
    There has also been comment from a lot of people about the price that we will pay for these vehicles once they are transformed into RHD. I can assure every single person here that the cost is well worth it and then some and here's why.
    First up for the Dodge Ram is took 30 of HSV/WG top engineers 18mths working on this vehicle to make sure it could be made in RHD correctly (I shudder to think of the cost of that there alone!). The word "conversion" is actually a very dirty word for the work WG do for this vehicle as the entire vehicle is remanufactured. Yes that's right "remanufactured". The entire cab is totally removed from the chassis, leaving only the engine and tray on the chassis. The cab is put on a rolling jig and then the firewall is totally modified to make it into RHD. There are new fully fabricated inserts that are welded into place and then the firewall is painted just like it is from Dodge. The entire dash is removed with a brand new dash chassis made and installed to accept the brand new dash pad. In the engine bay brand new brake lines and brake fluid bottles are installed, even right down to the new RH power steering box. Honestly I would be happy to say that I think this vehicle is actually better coming from WG as it's hand built rather than Dodge in the USA.
    I would also say this, that those smaller companies out there doing their own "conversions" are not anywhere near the same league as WG! WG are a registered vehicle manufacturer and therefore they must fully comply with all ADR's as too what the vehicle manufacturer want. The smaller operations are not. I went over the dash with a fine tooth comb and I couldn't find one single piece that looked like it wasn't totally 100% from Dodge.
    The workmanship and craftsmanship that goes into these is simply just first class!
    It takes 4 working days to perform the remanufacturer from LHD to RHD.

So the next time people complain about the price of USA vehicle hitting our shores and being turned into RHD by WG, don't, because what you are getting is a hand built car actually better than what it's left the USA as.

2017 GEN-F2 HSV GTSR Heron White 6M 844
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Nitrate Silver 6M 098 (Gone)
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Heron White 6A 617 (Gone)
    2013 VF SSV Redline Nitrate Silver 6M (Gone)
    2002 VX SS II Quicksilver 6M
    Dream Car:- HSV VL SS GRP A

Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!

Nice one, your a lucky man to get a tour through the factory!

The VF HSV platforms are truly a world class car, they offer such a well rounded package of technology, handling, brakes, interior, power! Light-years ahead of last ford/fpv's that's for sure and now giving the big euro brands a real scare too!

Enjoy your GTSR mate, such an awesome vehicle!

Thanks for sharing your visit with us - hanging for photo's
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by RCBVFGTS View Post
    So the next time people complain about the price of USA vehicle hitting our shores and being turned into RHD by WG, don't, because what you are getting is a hand built car actually better than what it's left the USA as.
    The price complaint isn't directed at WG because there is the extra work involved, the problem is the Camaro added cost due to this being an added process & not a factory tooled process like the foresight Ford used for the Mustang. The Camaro will sell even at the inflated cost but the simple fact remains it's direct competitor in the US at the price point is the Mustang. Ford has spent the R&D & tooling to supply RHD Mustangs with a much lower price point than the Camaro will cost here in Australia. Just because WG great work doesn't overshadow Holden dropped the ball & expects loyal V8 enthusiasts to foot the bill, that is a fare complaint.

Hanging for some pics. I also did a tour of the factory, but i literally rocked up and they let me in.

I had just bought a 2017 Maloo LSA, and upgraded to the bigger wheels, but i wanted to first see the plastic mould they put around the wheel, so GWS Holden organised it for me, but when i rocked up to clayton no one had been told... i talked my way in and the guy realised i was genuine when i showed him my invoice for the HSV and showed me around the place.

Very impressive.

I went there in 2006. I had to leave my phone at the front.
    They also took me through the HRT part because they were prepping their cars for Bathurst
    Toy - VS11 at VT Maloo #082 in Diablo Red
    Toy - 1997 30th Anniversary EL GT

** looking for devonish (VN Group A shape) front seats

I'd love to put some photos up guys but every time I upload them to Photobucket it says on each image "processing video" but they are photos not videos

Andrew did take me over to the old No.22 car that is being striped down at present. He gave me the chance to sit inside it. I absolutely love V8SC in particular Walkinshaw Mobil 1 HSV Racing = The True HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Unfortunately no matter how I tried there was no way my frame was getting inside the roll cage. I'm sure Andrew's still laughing his head off at me LOL

It's a true credit to everyone at HSV/WG. From all the hard work Tom started to see it where it is today. The passion and drive that HSV staff have for their products is truly Australian.

Anyone else can recommend somewhere I can host my photos to post up? This time next week I'll be a few hours off taking delivery of it. The wait is unbearable!

2017 GEN-F2 HSV GTSR Heron White 6M 844
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Nitrate Silver 6M 098 (Gone)
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Heron White 6A 617 (Gone)
    2013 VF SSV Redline Nitrate Silver 6M (Gone)
    2002 VX SS II Quicksilver 6M
    Dream Car:- HSV VL SS GRP A

Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!

Try postimage.org, that is where I went after photobucket lost tge plot.

Flickr is also good for posting and hosting pictures.

www.flickr.com

LS2 V3 Vortech Supercharged
    607rwhp

Thread Information