HSV Forum

Page 2 of 4 First << 1234 Last >>

Thread: Exhaust Note

Quote Originally Posted by LSExpress View Post
    Series 1 MY15 scored the nicer note and electric bi-modal. Rather than pull my fuse I have a little remote that I just flick on or off as I got tired of getting in the boot all the time. Lol
    That sounds interesting. Any more info?

Quote Originally Posted by Killawots View Post
    It's a 2013 build so I gather it will be vacuum operated.
    Yeah. Pull the engine cover off the drivers side and reverse this valve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

Quote Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV View Post

Cheers for that. I assume this is a vacuum non-return valve or similar? Also, do you know if the bimodel should open and stay open all the time when the drivers preference dial is set to track? I know on sport it opens at idle but closes once the engine gets off idle and only opens if the throttle is wide open.

Cheers for that. I assume this is a vacuum non-return valve or similar? Also, do you know if the bimodel should open and stay open all the time when the drivers preference dial is set to track? I know on sport it opens at idle but closes once the engine gets off idle and only opens if the throttle is wide open.

Yes it's a vacuum valve. In factory spec the bimodal never stays open all the time, regardless of setting. This is why we are reversing the valve to stop the flaps from closing
    2014 Gen-F GTS

I would be surprised if the centre section is different. The sound difference is likely to be in the rear muffler design and the programming

Well I can confirm you're correct in that the centre section of the exhaust is the same between the GTS-R and my MY14 GTS. The exhaust note difference appears to be in the rear bi-modal mufflers. The guy I took my car to have it fitted said the GTS-R rear muffle when open is straight through i.e. you can physically see daylight, where as with mine you can't.

I did swap the vacuum valve around under the engine cover and that worked fine and does now hold the bi-model open all the time. So the exhaust note is better that it was.

On a side note, I had the car on his new (4 week old Mainline) dyno whilst in the shop and I was a little surprised at the power recorded, 527RWHP. I was under the opinion that a standard M6 GTS was around the 450RWHP.

Cheers

That’s a very happy dyno

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS with a Stock Bottom End
    9.700 @143.14mph 17/July/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    That’s a very happy dyno
    hahahaha - I wonder if he charges by the horsepower when he does a tune???
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Well I can confirm you're correct in that the centre section of the exhaust is the same between the GTS-R and my MY14 GTS. The exhaust note difference appears to be in the rear bi-modal mufflers. The guy I took my car to have it fitted said the GTS-R rear muffle when open is straight through i.e. you can physically see daylight, where as with mine you can't.

I did swap the vacuum valve around under the engine cover and that worked fine and does now hold the bi-model open all the time. So the exhaust note is better that it was.
    I might try to find some MY17 rear mufflers and bolt them up to my MY14 GTS. I'm well aware the bimodal won't work, but it doesn't worry me as I've had it disconnected since day 2 of owning the car
    2014 Gen-F GTS

I might try to find some MY17 rear mufflers and bolt them up to my MY14 GTS. I'm well aware the bimodal won't work, but it doesn't worry me as I've had it disconnected since day 2 of owning the car
    Good luck. Let me know if it makes the difference I've been led to believe it will. If it does, I'll head to the performance shops over here and see if I can pick a set as well.

Thread Information