HSV Forum

Console shifter surround won't fit

Hi guys, only just had a few small panel work touch up jobs done and also replaced my console surround that had a broken mounting clip. Since it was silver they had to paint the new part to match. The problem is when I got the car back the insert is just sitting on the rear edge of the console recess, the clips barely located and just held in place by the screws up front. No matter how much I try to force it I can't get it to move enough to let it sit down into the recess and clip properly too.

VX console shifter insert problems (3) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

VX console shifter insert problems (2) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

VX console shifter insert problems (1) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Looking at this VX console light instruction post it shows a few areas that may be able to be adjusted. I've already tried just the two nuts inside the console bin with sliding room, the console body needs to come back about 1-2mm to let the insert drop down, but it didn't budge at all. There's also 2 screws up front under the insert once removed that face down, but I cant see many that really offer adjustment, only single area fastening. Many would need a spacer washer or similar which is obviously not right. Any ideas?

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au...e-light.75600/
    Last edited by Aus78Formula; 16-09-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    Ben
    1978 Firebird Formula 6.6L W50
    2002 HSV Clubsport R8 255

same response from the panel shop that left console in this condition calling it complete
    Ben

can I ask what colour you had it painted

I believe it was a custom mix, they gave back my damaged original console surround but with about 5 different silver stripes sprayed on it where trying to match. Done a good job, pity they can't assemble consoles.
    Ben

Did you get it to sit properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet, I've only had time to undo a few things and probe at it, without any obvious cause. Next is to pull entire dash facia and hope it's somehow now seated properly by a few mm and sitting out, because there's no other obvious thing showing.
    Ben

Ok finally got it sorted, as expected something simple yet still nearly missed it.

At some point in previous few weeks when Smash Repairs had shifter surround painted and swapped over, someone assembling has had a a complete miss with the self-tapper screw, and made their own hole next to plug. This cause a large burr on both the plastic frame and the plug so that when corrected, the plug was no longer mounted flush, which also meant it would pull through when tightened. And of course when the panel wasn't seated properly and tightened, it pulled the second plug out as well, distorting both, and so it goes.

Plug retainer with damage next to replacement
    13243 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Damaged plug hole, had to trim off to allow new retainer to mount flush again:
    13245 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Much better:
    13247 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Much better also, still sits up a little at rear but could be just layers of paint up front where faces meet, at least the metal clips under surround actually line up now!
    Ben

Ok finally got it sorted, as expected something simple yet still nearly missed it.

At some point in previous few weeks when Smash Repairs had shifter surround painted and swapped over, someone assembling has had a a complete miss with the self-tapper screw, and made their own hole next to plug. This cause a large burr on both the plastic frame and the plug so that when corrected, the plug was no longer mounted flush, which also meant it would pull through when tightened. And of course when the panel wasn't seated properly and tightened, it pulled the second plug out as well, distorting both, and so it goes.

Plug retainer with damage next to replacement
    13243 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Damaged plug hole, had to trim off to allow new retainer to mount flush again:
    13245 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Much better:

Much better also, still sits up a little at rear but could be just layers of paint up front where faces meet, at least the metal clips under surround actually line up now!
    13249 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
    Ben

Glad it's finally sorted for you. That would have annoyed the hell out of me - like I'm sure it did to you
    MY12.5 Clubsport Manual in Alto Grey, MY16 SV6 auto in Phantom, MY11 SV6 auto in Voodoo, 1964 EH Manual wagon in Cream.

'annoy the hell out of me' is such a calm term! Yes, moreso that the lack of interest by the guys who returned it like that to a repeat customer and then followed by being too busy to really look at it and the disinterest in the car as a whole.

My luck continues. Took the week off to get things done, first annual leave in 10 years, but an unfinished job on car on friday saw them need it back monday, perfect, I have day off. It's now Thursday. I no longer have time to get what I needed done on my one day tomorrow if car back this afternoon. Awesome.
    Ben

Thread Information