HSV Forum

Lsa swap or supercharge stock ls3

Hey forum
    So I've recently purchased a vf maloo 325 r8 stock as a rock (manual). I will be wanting to look at forced induction in the next 12 months or so, so I'm lookin for help with planning. Reading on I've seen a few comments about the compression ratio of my ls3 motor not genuinely liking the upgrade. I was wondering if it would be easier to buy an LSA ready to go and build on it in the years to come or is it easier to just start building my current motor. Coming from a JDM and 4x4 background the V8 work is a little new to me
    Cheers guys

You'd have to work out the costs involved to do it both ways.

LS3 change out pistons and rods for low comp and then wack a blower on it.
    Or swap it out for an LSA engine.

Or build an LSA engine...

Regardless of the comments that may follow about running boost on a high conpression engine think of it this way.

When manufacturers like Porsche, BMW, GM, Audi etc reduce comp on their factory forced induction engines, who the hell do these goof balls think they are here in Aus when they up the comp on boosted engines. There is a reason to why manufacturers do it but these idiots think they know better.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

I have to ask, if you only recently purchased it and plan on adding boost, why didn't you get an F2 to begin with? Would work out cheaper and everything is built to suit

You can buy a boost ready 416 short block for between 6-8k, add your blower and tune and your looking at 20k.
    A standard Lsa installed and tuned is about the same price. The built 416 will see about 450rwkw, the standard Lsa about 350rwkw.
    Then will cost $$$ to work up from there, ie heads , pulleys, injectors, fuel pumps etc

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    I have to ask, if you only recently purchased it and plan on adding boost, why didn't you get an F2 to begin with? Would work out cheaper and everything is built to suit
    Pockets weren't deep enough and the missus left the ultimatum to either buy now or not at all 😂

What does your budget permit mate?

There is a similar thread to yours here.

http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthrea...am-experiences

I have gone down the LSA eggbeater on top of the LS3 path. You can contact me via PM if you like. It does have limitations which have been stated above.

Cheers
    2016 VF II SSV-R Wagon with LSA Blower

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    You'd have to work out the costs involved to do it both ways.

LS3 change out pistons and rods for low comp and then wack a blower on it.
    Or swap it out for an LSA engine.

Or build an LSA engine...

Regardless of the comments that may follow about running boost on a high conpression engine think of it this way.

When manufacturers like Porsche, BMW, GM, Audi etc reduce comp on their factory forced induction engines, who the hell do these goof balls think they are here in Aus when they up the comp on boosted engines. There is a reason to why manufacturers do it but these idiots think they know better.
    they might reduce the comp ratio... but where is it?

LS3 - 10.7:1
    LSA - 9.1:1

Audi 3.0 V6 - 10.5:1
    Audi 3.0 V6 TFSI - 10.3:1

Audi 5.2 V10 FSI - 12.5:1
    Audi 5.0 V10 TFSI - 10.5:1

BMW M54B30 - 10.2:1
    BMW N54B30 - 10.2:1

an LS3 will take boost any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
    they might reduce the comp ratio... but where is it?

LS3 - 10.7:1
    LSA - 9.1:1

Audi 3.0 V6 - 10.5:1
    Audi 3.0 V6 TFSI - 10.3:1

Audi 5.2 V10 FSI - 12.5:1
    Audi 5.0 V10 TFSI - 10.5:1

BMW M54B30 - 10.2:1
    BMW N54B30 - 10.2:1

an LS3 will take boost any day of the week.
    All the engines that you have mentioned are higher compression as they are direct injections and are far less prone to detonating compared a conventional wet port engine such as the LS3 and this is why the manufacturers have upped the comp because they are all direct injection now.

Yes an LS3 will take boost any day of the week but at what sacrifice to ignition advance?...thus not much HP....really it's not right.

If you want a direct comparison to our LSA engine of 9.1:1 the new LT4 is the same platform at 10.0:1...but with direct injection.

Also the LS3 came out in 2008 if comparing apples to apples to Audi turbo at that point the 2008 Audi A4 is 9.6:1 turbo

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Thread Information