HSV Forum

Page 2 of 3 First << 123 Last >>
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    only real sensor to kill the engine is the crank sensor, they can get too hot and fail then when cool down come back to life or just be intermittently failing ect, any codes being logged ?
    Its looking more and more like this.
    Drove 20 min each way to soccer in the cool of yesterday morning. Didn't miss a beat.
    Drove to local shops a bit later, all good. Left with family in the car a bit later (car still hot) to go to my sons birthday party and it completely died 3 times and coughed multiple times in the first 4 kms. Had to turn it around and come back and get the mother in laws Hyundai broomstick instead.

Id say if you had a crank sensor " 100 % that would be IT

if its the crank sensor and it starts to play up bring a container of water with u and pop the hood and poor a little on the crank sensor and that cools it down then start up and drive and if its all good again for a bit then looks to be that

Thanks for the tip 07GTS. I'll keep that in mind for tomorrow. The sensor is at the back of the engine near the starter isn't it?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

hmmm could be back there with the ls1 i think, if it is the fault might be worth some heat shield if u have extractors on

So binny do u have a crank sensor on your car on the vs 50 ltrs it was on the distributor , not sure what your driving but when the car warms up and then it starts to surge and then cuts out..up to ten mins later the car start as normal like nothings wrong but when u start to drive on 5 klms down the road has the same prob again that's what it is ..distributor with crank sensor from holden is around $300 last I knew..

It's an LS1 Poorman.
    There's no dizzy so the crank sensor is at the back of the engine on the drivers side. You have to remove the starter motor to change it.
    It also has a cam sensor as well that is up higher at the back of the engine as well.

It sounds like the same symptoms though so I think you guys are on the right track.
    I put the stock airbox and ECU back in last night and I'll drive it to work as usual again tomorrow. If the issue is still there, which I fully expect it to be I'll take it to the dealer and get them to fix it. I'm over it. I'm always on edge driving it now wonder if its going to die on me at an inconvenient moment.
    If I had the money I'd keep this as a weekender and buy something more mundane and reliable as a daily.

Had the crank sensor replaces today by a mechanic near work. They tried to reproduce the issue prior to replacing the sensor by getting it hot but were not able to get it to do it.
    Will have to see how it goes now.

Don't you just love intermittent issues that will never show up whilst a mechanic is looking at the car..

Going good so far. Quite heavy traffic today and no coughs or issues at all.
    Nice to see a new issue step up to replace it in Saturday. Could do with air-con today while it's 34 deg

Thread Information