HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

HSV Track Edition on the track

I took my HSV Track Edition to the track yesterday. I've never had a car on a track and I've been wanting to do this since I bought the Trackie. So I went to Marulan DTC for a practice day.

It is is totally stock. I don't know anything about setting cars up for the track, so I just drove it the way it was. It even has the original air from Fishermans Bend in the tyres.

It was awesome! I was possibly the fastest car on the track on the day. The power and brakes were great. It's 2nd gear all the way around expect for kicking it into 3rd for the straight. It just was brushing the limiter in 2 places. Top speed is a mere 130kph on this track.

I set the knob to 'Perf' and that seemed OK. The default 'Sport' mode interfered too much. I didn't trust myself enough to turn off the TC completely. What does this know actually do? Is it just the ABS and traction control?

I have to learn the best way to corner as you could slide the front or the rear around the corners but getting the balance without too much slide was tricky. My best lap was a 46s which apparently is pretty good, especially for a first timer.

The front tyres were pretty knackered at the end and I think they've past their use by date now. Instead of being flat between the grooves, there are now ramps. The car has 10,000km on it and the tyres looked pretty good at the beginning of the day. I wouldn't want to be going through a set of front tyres per practice day so I need to learn how to make them last.

Highly recommended fun!

Great to see your enjoying the car.
    If you intend to do more track days, you should think about investing in a second set of rims with track tyres, they will perform much better and last longer than using your road tyres.

I always say that driving on the track is the best fun you can have with your clothes on..
    Tyres sadly are the cost to your fun.
    Like "dgp" mentioned, you need a dedicated set of track only wheels & tyres.
    Because of the weight of our cars the front tyres suffer on the more twisty, slow tracks.
    Be careful though, once the bug bites, you will be addicted
    Bathurst Light Car Club are hosting the essess next Sunday.
    I'm sure entries are still open.
    You should do that.
    Running from the top of Conrod to Skyline (reverse direction to normal race)
    it is an awesome event. (i'm not entering this month due to being away )

http://bathurstlightcarclub.com.au/w...2017-08-20.pdf
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Awesome stuff! Track days are addictive just watch!

Your next step should be Wakefield. It's a bigger track and probably the next step up after marulan. It has plenty of run off also so you will feel more comfortable with pushing the car a little more.

If it does become a frequent outing I would also recommend a second set of rims with some stickier tyres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaarh... someone else with the bug!

I started with my street car and as you found some things (tyres brakes for example)
    are not really meant for track work but hey.. if you enjoyed it, that is important!

Me? I got the bug and built a dedicated trackie
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

That Bathurst esses event sounds awesome. I'd love to have a go at those legendary bends. However I'm doing a Vintage Enduro next weekend on my XR250R up at Buladehlah so that rules that out.

Yes, I could easily get hooked on this track stuff in the Trackie. It sounds like a spare set of wheels with a set of Nittos would be beneficial. I guess they have to be 20s to clear the big brakes.

It sounds like Wakefield is the go for next time. You sure have keep the proximity of the tyre walls in mind when you drive MDTC. However it was great to only have a few cars on the track at any time at MDTC.

Time to look up the Wakefield calendar......... I'll see if there is a quiet mid-week event.

My front tyres after last weeks hill climb -
    https://flic.kr/p/WpbaXZ
    https://flic.kr/p/XCCrMt
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Wow! Those tyres are shagged. It's amazing they get so flogged in a short hillclimb.

Here are mine. Mine are new in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud977 View Post
    Wow! Those tyres are shagged. It's amazing they get so flogged in a short hillclimb.

Here are mine. Mine are new in comparison.

everyone forgets how a track can chew up rubber....

I took my Kwaka 750 for a track day at PI

no chicken strip there
    Last edited by Smitty; 13-08-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Thread Information