HSV Forum

Simmons FR-1 rims v AP Brakes...

Searching historical threads on this topic has lead to me being a little confused as to what the real situation is.....
    OK, so I want to know the whole story of fitting Simmons FR-1 rims onto my VX that runs AP brakes.... There seems to be some conjecture as to whether or not this is possible due to brake clearance issues...
    Ideally, I want to run a staggered combination with 19" X 9.5" rims on the rear, 8's on the front.... Has anybody on this forum got first hand knowledge in regards to this...?
    Thanks in advance...

The VT-VZ brakes aren't really that bad for wheel fitment, certainly not like the VE onwards.

Best bet would be to ring Simmons/Tempe but I've seen it done numerous times before. Generally a 255 on the rear will fit very easily, a 275 is a bit more of an ask

This reason is why I went with a standard Clubsport and not the R8 version as to use the rims I wanted and then look at brake upgrades after. I plan on using Simmons FR-1 18" wheels myself (18x8.5 Fronts with 18x9.5 Rears). Is AP the best option?

Do you know what the offsets of those Simmons are.
    My Senator has the Big AP6/4 brakes, 362mm front and 343mm rears
    I run BBS 8&9",18's on mine with 235 and 275 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres.
    Wheels are 18 x 8" 35P and 18 x 9" 45P and just fit with those tyres and rolled guards.
    The fronts sit dead level with the outside edge of guard and do touch lightly on big bumps or dips in the road.
    On the rear my old Contis did rub but my Michelins don't as the Conti tyre carcass is wider even though tread widths are identical.

The original AP's that came on the VT-VZ's are quite expensive if you can get hold of them. They're 362mm 6 pots up front and 343mm 4 pots in the rear. You'd get the Harrop or PWR aftermarket upgrades a lot easier/cheaper. I'd just go with the 343mm up front if it's a general street car which is what the R8 premium brakes were anyway.

You might struggle to fit some 18's over the fronts if you go with the 362mm AP's but it depends on wheel design.

Tempe told me that 19x9.5" FR1 in any of the offsets they offer would not fit the rear of my Monaro without guard modifications since I run the HSV AP racing brakes.

Thread Information