HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

HSV VF2 R8 LSA Manual - Engine/clutch/gearbox Knocking

Hey guys first post here, so hi...
    Guys I got a VF2 HSV R8 LSA manual... just dont 4800k's on it...
    Last weekend after an oil change it developed a knocking sound, and I thought it must be low pressure... it went away however it then came back. I decided to change oil again thinking maybe I got a dud oil filter, so fresh oil and change again.
    After a 100k drive the sound came back, listen here >
    I could have sworn it was engine knocking however when I press clutch in the sound would also most vanish!! I am baffled, swore it was oil pump knocking or piston slap…
    But a clutch? Hoes to Holden Wednesday, thing is the noise has not come back for 50 k’s..
    Send videos to Holden… they just said bring it in...
    He comes the merry go round...
    Anyone heard this sound or knocking?
    any ideas...

Could it be a lifter?

Racing... Because football, rugby, basketball & golf only require one ball

It sounds like it's going to drop a leg out of bed. I don't think I would be running that engine.

Without hearing the noise in person, and going by your description, I would say
    gearbox "rollover" noise which is normal/common/nothing to worry about.
    When you put your foot on the clutch, you have disengaged drive
    to the front gearbox shaft, and hence the gearbox internals stop spinning, and noise stops.
    In neutral, foot OFF the clutch, the gearbox internals are still spinning, but under no load, but you
    do get the rollover noise...
    It is almost impossible to identify a noise from a phone video.
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    Without hearing the noise in person, and going by your description, I would say
    gearbox "rollover" noise which is normal/common/nothing to worry about.
    Sorry, but there's nothing normal about that noise. Agree, impossible to diagnose over phone vid. Get it checked out/warranty etc asap.

Quote Originally Posted by commander_dan View Post
    Sorry, but there's nothing normal about that noise. Agree, impossible to diagnose over phone vid. Get it checked out/warranty etc asap.
    Yeh, Nothing normal thats for sure!!!! Goes in tomorrow morning..I thought it was piston slap, or major engine failing.. like big end bearing knock due to no oil pressure.. or something.. ... very surprised clutch effected it.. its a very loud, and solid knocking.. you can record on a phone in the car.. it loud.. Just hope they can re produce as it was not present last night... fingers crossed..Not a great start for me and this car

Quote Originally Posted by commander_dan View Post
    Gearbox rollover noise is normal is what I meant.
    Noise in OP car is anyone's guess without being there to actually hear it..
    Good luck with it - keep us posted with news...
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Sounds terrible, hopefully they can find and fix the issue. It doesn't sound like a lifter to me, my VE lifter issue got faster as you rev it, which yours doesn't from what I can hear on the vid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

If worst when cold, leave the vehicle at the dealer overnight. Initial thought was belt or bearing slap but whatever it is, make sure the dealer hears your recording as well as doing their own checks - if 'nothing wrong' is their response; a please explain will be in order.

Is that a standard exhaust? When i got a new 3" exhaust on my GTS it sounded just like that, it was hitting a bolt as it vibrated just near one of the mounts. It was at its worst when cold, I got the pipe heated and pressed in a little where it was knocking.

Thread Information