HSV Forum

Page 2 of 2 First << 12

Looking into the VF HSV

Quote Originally Posted by a.froio View Post
    Yes very true I think. Anyone have a rough idea on how a tune with just intake and extractors (leaving stock exhaust) would go? Is the stock catback a good bit of gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stock headers and exhaust are pretty good, so just an OTR and tune will make a big improvement

2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

Quote Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV View Post
    Stock headers and exhaust are pretty good, so just an OTR and tune will make a big improvement

Might have to look into that. I think I will be happy with the stock exhaust note. They've really upped their game with stock exhaust notes

Might have to look into that. I think I will be happy with the stock exhaust note. They've really upped their game with stock exhaust notes

You can reverse a valve in the engine bay to have the bimodal exhaust open permanently if you like louder exhausts

2014 Gen-F GTS

Quote Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV View Post
    You can reverse a valve in the engine bay to have the bimodal exhaust open permanently if you like louder exhausts

I like the fact that when cruising it's nice and quiet and when you open it up you get that nice V8 sound

I like the fact that when cruising it's nice and quiet and when you open it up you get that nice V8 sound

See how you go. I didn't like the exhaust switching on and off all the time around town, so I have it open all the time now and find it sounds good, all the time

2014 Gen-F GTS

I have the 325 R8. First thing I did was reverse the bi modal valve to keep the exhaust open, excellent mod for better sound. I too hated the exhaust switching on and off at preset RPMs. Once valve was reversed, it sounded good across rev range all the time and kept me happy for about a year, though still pretty quiet.

Couple of weeks ago I installed a set of Pacey 1 3/4 4-1s / 100 cel cats / Manta twin 3" catback myself and had OTR and tune done the following weekend. Completely different beast! Highly recommend, sounds amazing, and goes like it should have from factory (303rwkw), should keep me happy for another year or so.

If you intend on doing intake and exhaust mods, I would choose the 325 version as you stand to gain more. If leaving factory, go the SV.

If you do go the 325, and just do headers/cats and intake/tune (keeping factory catback) I'd be very interested to see what power figure you get, to see the difference between factory catback and twin 3"(factory is twin 2.5", but is press bent and drops close to 2.25" in parts, particularly the 90 degree bends on the mufflers - I did consider doing just headers/cats/mufflers and keeping stock mid section).

Either way keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by commander_dan View Post
    I have the 325 R8. First thing I did was reverse the bi modal valve to keep the exhaust open, excellent mod for better sound. I too hated the exhaust switching on and off at preset RPMs. Once valve was reversed, it sounded good across rev range all the time and kept me happy for about a year, though still pretty quiet.

Couple of weeks ago I installed a set of Pacey 1 3/4 4-1s / 100 cel cats / Manta twin 3" catback myself and had OTR and tune done the following weekend. Completely different beast! Highly recommend, sounds amazing, and goes like it should have from factory (303rwkw), should keep me happy for another year or so.

If you intend on doing intake and exhaust mods, I would choose the 325 version as you stand to gain more. If leaving factory, go the SV.

If you do go the 325, and just do headers/cats and intake/tune (keeping factory catback) I'd be very interested to see what power figure you get, to see the difference between factory catback and twin 3"(factory is twin 2.5", but is press bent and drops close to 2.25" in parts, particularly the 90 degree bends on the mufflers - I did consider doing just headers/cats/mufflers and keeping stock mid section).

Either way keep us posted!
    Good info mate.

To be quite honest I think I will get bored of the stock exhaust but I don't think I will have room to play around with it too much in the first year or so.

Could always go down the varex road and use that system to keep it quiet or loud..

Who tuned and fitted your OTR if you don't mind me asking?

Good info mate.

To be quite honest I think I will get bored of the stock exhaust but I don't think I will have room to play around with it too much in the first year or so.

Could always go down the varex road and use that system to keep it quiet or loud..

Who tuned and fitted your OTR if you don't mind me asking?

It was Active Automotive in Perth, they do some good deals currently and I'm very happy with their work. Can also recommend WA Performance for tuning work, I have used them in the past with great results.

I considered varex, but the manta twin 3" with centre muffler and centre hotdogs (think this is called their "quiet" system) is good and livable. Has a really deep and muffled note to it, not raspy or tinny at all, which is what I like. It's loud when you step on it, but when cruising on the flat it's only maybe 10% louder than stock.

Thread Information