HSV Forum

Page 4 of 4 First << ... 234

Thread: New car

Once it's finished I should be able to give Kirk a run for his money, can't believe how fast he has got that GTS going
    When enough just isn't enough!

The R32 Skyline is an awesome bit of gear. Looks way better in my opinion that the later R33 that looks like it's had too many chocolate cakes and put on some beef.

I've played around with / tuned a number of RB26 engines. If you wind the boost up over 25-30psi I don't think you will have any problems at all out running Kirks car (I tuned it), you will just need to give it plenty of rpm off the mark to prevent it from coming off boost/bogging with that turbo when / if the AWD hooks.

What ecu are you using? Are you still using the factory cam sensor as the trigger feed into the ecu? I have noticed that they get a lot of "timing scatter" at high rpm.

If you decide to get serious, it would be worth looking into having a crank pick up installed for more precise ign timing at elevated rpm.

Those R32's are only increasing in value as time goes by. Awesome car.

Quote Originally Posted by moray066 View Post
    Thanks white lie,
    There has actually been a lot going on with this car but I didn't want to flood this forum with it but thought the occasional update would be ok. I'm still around reading what's going on.
    Didn't think the comment would come from pickles though, I'm surprised
    And the bottom end is out of a VL turbo so there is a 'Holden' link in there
    Naahhh, Don't be surprised, it's just my opinion,....like I said, it could be the best car in the world.
    That's one good thing about this great Country we live in,.....we can all have our own opinion without any sort of drama at all,......at the moment?
    All is good, Pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by BMEP View Post
    The R32 Skyline is an awesome bit of gear. Looks way better in my opinion that the later R33 that looks like it's had too many chocolate cakes and put on some beef.

I've played around with / tuned a number of RB26 engines. If you wind the boost up over 25-30psi I don't think you will have any problems at all out running Kirks car (I tuned it), you will just need to give it plenty of rpm off the mark to prevent it from coming off boost/bogging with that turbo when / if the AWD hooks.

What ecu are you using? Are you still using the factory cam sensor as the trigger feed into the ecu? I have noticed that they get a lot of "timing scatter" at high rpm.

If you decide to get serious, it would be worth looking into having a crank pick up installed for more precise ign timing at elevated rpm.

Those R32's are only increasing in value as time goes by. Awesome car.
    Thanks for the kind words BMEP. I'm running a Vipec ecu. I actually have a crank trigger kit but it needs to be fitted. I'm not going to push it too hard (rpm wise) limiter is set at 8000rpm now, when I get it tuned going to increase it to 8500rpm, I know the boys with the 26 bottom end are going over 10,000rpm. Crazy, getting well into motorbike territory.
    The 32, is my favourite I don't mind the 33 but they are the 'ugly duckling' of the family.
    Do you tune these?
    When enough just isn't enough!

1100HP turbo... F'me

Racing... Because football, rugby, basketball & golf only require one ball

Quote Originally Posted by moray066 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words BMEP. I'm running a Vipec ecu. I actually have a crank trigger kit but it needs to be fitted. I'm not going to push it too hard (rpm wise) limiter is set at 8000rpm now, when I get it tuned going to increase it to 8500rpm, I know the boys with the 26 bottom end are going over 10,000rpm. Crazy, getting well into motorbike territory.
    The 32, is my favourite I don't mind the 33 but they are the 'ugly duckling' of the family.
    Do you tune these?
    I have tuned a number of Skylines (RB26), mainly circuit cars running low to moderate boost (1.5 bar, approx 22psi) as they are running full tilt for approx 20min stints at a time on the circuit. My back ground is Autronic / Motec systems so mainly play with them when it comes to the aftermarket. That said, the Vipec is a good ecu (I tuned a Vipec on a Turbo bike years ago, that spun to 12,000 rpm with no issues from the Vipec at all), from what I have been told, the Vipec was back engineered of an Autronic SM4 in NZ.

Once large turbo's are fitted to the RB's it does start to become all about higher rpm's as normally full boost (on drag applications is at least 35-40psi) and sometimes isn't reached till 6,500-7,000rpm so the 10,000 rpm shift points are needed to make the engines work.

I've seen plenty of guys running 35psi boost on similar turbo's at WSID on E85 on their R32 GTR's. One guy simply couldn't get the car to hook if he popped the clutch at 8,500 + rpm and it would spin all 4 tyres, any less rpm it would bog. That car was running 11.2 - 11.5 (was inconsistent due to wheelspin or bogging) BUT at 148-150mph so its an easy 9 sec car and some. The problem is that once the rpm's are so high, the cars gearing gets all messed up. I'm not sure if there are aftermarket diff gears for both front and rear diff's as that would certainly help the cars leave the line without needing to dial up the rpm's as much.

The 3 Lt bottom end will certainly help reduce the lag on your set up. The RB30 bottom ends are very strong and the cast iron blocks are well suited to high (40psi) boost.

Thread Information