HSV Forum

Page 3 of 6 First << 12345 ... Last >>
    Keen to know abit more about these data logs etc ill be getting my gts re-tuned and will be heading out to the track in a few weeks to see what it runs..

I would also be interested in a quick 101 of what to look for.

Yeah me too as I'm looking to get more mods done

Quote Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
    Keen to know abit more about these data logs etc ill be getting my gts re-tuned and will be heading out to the track in a few weeks to see what it runs..
    Guys read Post #1
    You will see some pointers

You'll need to purchase HP Tuners to log the car or EFI Live.
    Mentioned issues in the first post cover the basics of what major things to look for, other things are harder to explain on the forum.

Or at least download the free version and request copies of your cars log files.
    You can also confirm the log files are from your car and not someone else's from the VIN number on the log.
    If certain engine vitals are out of spec or not being logged all together run for your life.
    Last edited by GenF-GTS; 02-07-2017 at 10:42 PM.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Its abit of a gamble, letting any tuner fiddle with the ECU, especially on a 80 gran car, just for abit more horsepower. Arnt these cars quick enough from Factory.

Quote Originally Posted by rodders188 View Post
    Its abit of a gamble, letting any tuner fiddle with the ECU, especially on a 80 gran car, just for abit more horsepower. Arnt these cars quick enough from Factory.
    There is no such thing as "enough".........
    There is NOT enough money or enough time in one lifetime to get enough cars....nope, never enough...
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
    MPH rarely lies. Once you take in to consideration track conditions, temp etc, the MPH will ultimately tell you what the car is making. It won't run X MPH unless it is making the hp to do so, even with an average driver behind the wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgp View Post
    I would also be interested in a quick 101 of what to look for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler5 View Post
    Yeah me too as I'm looking to get more mods done
    As said, most of the stuff is in the first post. You're not going to see the logs unless you ask specifically and then what's on the screen will depend on what the tuner specifies to log.

As per the first post, I would be speaking with the tuner, before tuning, mentioning that you're interested in IDC, fuel pressure, knock etc and if they can give you the details on these things when finished. If they give you a blank look or don't want to give you the info, find another tuner before the heartache begins.

If they're worth what you're paying them, they won't have a problem showing you a log or two and explaining where everything is on the screen, what it means and what the safe limits are. A good tuner will point out if you're pushing things, if they've taken it back a notch to keep it safe or if there's room for improvement by doing other mods.

The biggest thing to me is fuel. Running lean is never a good thing, especially when boost is concerned. AFR around 11.5-12 (richer won't hurt things but there may be room for improvement), 65PSI fuel pressure, an IDC under 85% and no knock.
    There's always a little wiggle room with these but if you're in that ballpark, it's going to be pretty safe.

Good thread, knowledge is power

Racing... Because football, rugby, basketball & golf only require one ball

I'll throw this one out there as another quiver in the bow if you like, what is the general hp/kW levels that things need to be upgraded?

For example, what are the stock injectors capable of?
    What is the stock pump capable of?
    Where is the limit of a boost a pump and when does something more serious need to be implemented?
    What are the "more serious" options?

There's a lot of big hp LSA's getting around now that there's a decent understanding of what works and what doesn't and a lot of guys will happily list off the engine mods but no one is ever interested in the fuel system.
    What are the guys at the pointy end running? Cars making 700+ rwhp like the latest in the Interchiller thread or Kirk's car, surely that's well beyond the capability of the standard pump, even with a booster? I vaguely remember Kirk saying he had fuel issues long ago with the boost a pump not supplying enough and he upgraded to something else.

There's a lot of online calculators around to give you an idea of injector sizing for your target power level, but the pump is what's going to give you pressure issues.

Thread Information