HSV Forum

Page 6 of 6 First << ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by R8VXF View Post
    With regards to the fuelling, I bought the BAP back in February and decided to not fit it unless it was needed, which as you point out the logging shows it is needed for certain extreme circumstances which are not a part of normal driving. I will get round to fitting it before this years standing mile though as that is the best part of 30 seconds at WOT mostly in higher gears which puts a large strain on the fuel system. You wouldn't even notice it on a drag strip it is that minor of a problem. Certainly not so much of an issue as everyone is making it out to be.

I posted that screenshot because it shows that on the face of it, it is a "bad" tune, yet anyone with an unmodified Gen-f GTS drives with that every day. I could show a lot more pids from that tune file, that was just a default dashboard in EFILive showing those selected PIDs. Without the full picture it is easy to jump to conclusions such as "7 degrees knock, OMG!!!!", whereas that actually shows 7 degrees knock retard bought on by a predictive algorithm called burst knock retard.

I know enough about tuning to know that I don't know enough, unfortunately many people who tune cars for other people do not know enough or cannot explain why they are doing certain things when asked, and these are the tuning shops that are a danger to our cars or who supply cars that do not run properly having cold start issues, hot start issues, stalling etc. It is a sad state that over here in the UK, the main tuning shops have managed to get it into peoples heads that a car with even a small cam is a bitch to drive, whereas even with the BTR3 in my car which is a medium to large cam I have none of these issues.
    I think you're incorrect.
    I think you are up it for so long in that airport run, highly likely the spark plug is glowing red hot and you do actually have engine knock....were you logging KR, burst knock/predictive knock?.....post that log

As for your fuel system needing upgrading for "extreme circumstances", well yeah umm anytime you exceed IDC or your desired fuel pressure is off target too much you need the fuel pressure to come up higher, regardless of being at WOT for 0.1sec or 1min, rule of thumb you are tapped right out at 95% and anything above 80-85% you should really have a think about going bigger on the injectors and if needed bigger on the fuel system.

I upgraded my fuel system as I was targeting 65psi and it was hitting 55-58psi....not ideal at all.

There is no such thing as lets just leave it, that guys a pussy he only drives it on the street, you build the bloody thing to have enough fuel for whatever that particular engine combination is capable of...end of story.

If you're doing otherwise...well when that pussy driver does get into it or increases his confidence and go all out woops not enough fuel supply, lean AFR's

Otherwise tune around it and short shift the car if it's auto...if it's manual then set the limiter lower and explain why, how and when it needed to be shifted....again still comes back full circle to do your fuel system (pump/injectors) to suit your engine combo's needs.
    Last edited by GenF-GTS; 07-07-2017 at 12:51 AM.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

I'd tend to agree if a shop was building/tuning the car. If you're tuning it yourself and you know exactly where you're at, it's not so much a necessity if you know exactly how hard you can push it or don't give in to that temptation. If a shop was tuning it, it's certainly safer to detune it or set the shift points/limiter lower so it removes the issue from the equation.

Taking the car to 260-270km/h, you're up it for a fair while...that's not an "extreme case on the street", that's racing. Taking it to that level, 1/4 mile, 0-1000m, roll racing, circuit racing, whatever is popular right now, then you should know exactly where the cars at prior to doing so. That's the whole purpose of this thread. Not to bad mouth any workshops but that a lot of people pay for work to be done so they can do things like this as just assume the guy doing the work knows what they're doing.

If a car is tuned to a knife's edge and that not explained to the customer simply because they had no interest in racing prior to building the car (or worse that the guy behind the laptop doesn't even log these things or know where it's at), then as a workshop, you're leaving yourself open to failure. What happens when that spur of the moment pops up that their mates are heading to the track and they suddenly get the interest in seeing what it can do?

Guys I've cleaned the thread up as that was never the intention of this thread.
    It's purely to give some information and insight in to things that may be happening without you knowing.
    Keep it on topic or I'll lock it up.

my tune has been judged safe then I presume

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Generally speaking, no, they won't know it's been tuned
    I guess may be on file if down upgrades via shacks ect

I hope this issue doesn't happen with me. Since there seems to be only 1 tuner in NZ that has a great rep for tuning Holden / HSV's who I will be taking mine to when i get the coin.

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Guys I've cleaned the thread up as that was never the intention of this thread.
    It's purely to give some information and insight in to things that may be happening without you knowing.
    Keep it on topic or I'll lock it up.
    perhaps posts can be put back and edited to not name and shame certain shops or tuners
    removing the posts entirely is pulling the wool over our eyes about real world information
    I view forums as a pub conversation with a bunch of guys who all enjoy our cars together deleting the posts is a bit much sensoring them I can understand.

The scary thing here is that we, as the average punter, really dont know whether we are getting a good tune or a "off the shelf" tune as GTS GenF says. We would always think that after putting our faith in our local tuner, after the mods that most of us do, that we are getting an optimized end result. I agree that knowledge of your tune is vital.
    Maloo GTSR Interchiller

Thread Information