HSV Forum

Page 8 of 9 First << ... 6789 Last >>
    I used to run an old '93 XR8 years ago ( before I saw the light ) on AvGas because it rattled it's head off on 98 Pump fuel. It wasn't modified much at all, it was just a lemon with a blue badge.
    I dread the thought of spending 10k+ on modding an LSA, taking it to the strip and finding out the hard way that the last tank full of 98 fuel was dodgy. It is a little difficult to do a fuel analysis out of your boot......I'd be making absolutely sure that the "Pump Fuel" from the local servo wasn't going to be the cause of a catrastophic bang. I'd also add a little something to simply make sure that the fuel was not less than 98 RON before holding the pedal hard against the firewall down the 1/4 mile or worse still the full mile.

Will 10% toluene pick up 0.2 or 0.5 seconds on the 1/4 mile ??..no idea !!

Will 10% toluene help save metal fragments sitting in the bottom of the sump ????.....More likely than not !!

Would I top up the octane with Toluene or similar prior to a strip run ????...Bloody oath I would..

Would I care if some people got their noses out of joint because they thought i was being dishonest.

Nah !

Would I care if someone else's car was faster than Mine.......

Nah !

........and yes, I do have a Chiller.......Might not be all that handy in Birmingham in winter but pretty useful in Brisbane all year round...
    GTSR Maloo Interchiller

Whyc does it bother you so much, no one cares except you

Bit of a thread revival here. Again, as per the OP, this isn't aimed at bashing anyone, more educating others.

As many members on here know, a fellow member recently had an engine let go while racing.
    There is a lot of information and pics in this link, with the tuner passing blame on to some very "questionable" excuses.

https://www.ctsvowners.com/for...0-e...-bad-tune.html

The end result may well be the holes in the Swiss cheese lining up but just my opinion, is that the tuner has a lot to answer for. Around 350 passes between two cars with the same tuner and it didn't miss a beat, new tuner and it didn't do 30 before self destructing.

Remote tuning is always risky business but even with a car being tuned in person, you need to choose very wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Bit of a thread revival here. Again, as per the OP, this isn't aimed at bashing anyone, more educating others.

As many members on here know, a fellow member recently had an engine let go while racing.
    There is a lot of information and pics in this link, with the tuner passing blame on to some very "questionable" excuses.

https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/#/t...146900?page=18

The end result may well be the holes in the Swiss cheese lining up but just my opinion, is that the tuner has a lot to answer for. Around 350 passes between two cars with the same tuner and it didn't miss a beat, new tuner and it didn't do 30 before self destructing.

Remote tuning is always risky business but even with a car being tuned in person, you need to choose very wisely.
    here is the direct line, its an interesting read in-deed!

https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/66-...-bad-tune.html

Was: E3 S/C Maloo
    Now: Audi RS3 (11.00 & 136MPH)

Quote Originally Posted by Nath View Post

Thanks Nath.
    Link updated.

If you push the limits. Expect the consequences
    Previous 2011 MY 12 VE R8 Maloo -Perfect Blue
    Current 2013 VF GTS W507 - Herron White

Quote Originally Posted by Nath View Post

Itís a bit of an Arse of a thread, I know reading back itís a bit disjointed.
    Rest assured Iíve learnt heaps,

-: Iím kicking myself, I should of known better after Jakes lessons and help.
    Warnings weíre all there and I chose to ignore it.

Goes to show I was spoilt by Jake and assumed others would have same diligence.

The blatant lies I just canít deal with.
    The facts pointed out to me and soooo obvious are

Old tuner
    :- used to run around 16 degrees timing out of the hole with an occasional touch of Knock Retard shown maybe 1-2 degrees
    :- zero other issues car run awesome full track mph (130-132)
    :- hi 10ís low 11ís afr on wideband (recent install just before changed tuners)

New tuner
    :- 20-25 degrees zero knock retard out of hole and 12-12.5afrs
    :- car showing knock retard now in 4th 3+degrees
    :- find out later he had weakened knock settings so actual amount of knock retard higher than thought

So in summary more timing / leaner / and bad settings
    And I drove it like that...
    through rose tinted spectacles because I gained 2mph in 1/8 mile

Im angry and frustrated that i believed internet about him and put trust in him, not once has he even said yep my bad,
    has blamed too much fuel
    has blamed water injection
    has blamed fuel octane
    blamed me for changes

To cap it off have heard of 2 other engine failures since mine.

Read and chuckle

I have made mistake it has cost me massively

Anyway Iím out of this not getting embroiled in it all anymore too pissed
    Hyundai Accent 1.6 manual (current PB 590kms til fuel redlight!!!)
    GenF2 30yr Senator (stock cam/heads 10.63@131.99)
    Previous GenF my15 Gts (was fastest stock cam/heads 10.68 @ 130.3)
    Previous VXR8 (vxr
    Previous GTS-r (uk)

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Having read through that thread I think the tuner involved was foolish to get involved in remote tuning a car that is being pushed so hard on stock components, the tuner posted screen shots of phone conversations where he was asking the owner to read the plugs which the owner didn't know how to do, when pushing a car to the limits like that you really need a tuner who'll go to the track with you and do that sort of thing, and pay them accordingly! Or be able to tune yourself.
    The owner is also to blame IMO, the car was already tuned well and running hard so why did it need to be retuned, he obviously wanted to go faster, without making mechanical changes to the car the only way a tuner can make the car faster is more HP, the path to more power is more timing or run it leaner, so he owner got what he was wanted really.
    Its always a shame to see something let go at the track, I do think about it almost every time I buzz my stock bottom end LS3 to 7000+, at the end of the day it come down to the old saying "don't racing race something you cant afford to lose", definitely on the surface there appears to be some questionably tuning going on but that is far from the whole story here in my opinion, for certain water/meth injection can go bad very quickly if something goes wrong and GM only warrants the engine to make factory horsepower for a reason.

It can all be summed up by, 'You play, you pay.'
    HSV Senator 300 - the Classy C4B..

C4B - ETP215s 62cc, Comp 215/223 .601/.609 @111+3, Manley 8.050" 5/16" P/R, Morel Link-bar lifters, Powerbond 25% UDP, 36lb injectors, SLP pump, Rollmaster chain, OTRCAI, T-56 - RipShift, 3.91:1 rear, DiFilippo 1.75" 4-1s, twin 3" st/st cat-back, 3" metal substrate hi-flow cats. AP-Racing 6/4-pots. EFIlive COS3 SD tune.

308rwkW(413rwhp)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389253...lden-commodore

Easy for guys to say you play you pay. But you dont expect the worst to happen when you modify your ride. You try to get the best performance from the $$$ you can afford and hope and rely on peoples experience. , especially tuners.
    My own thoughts are the higher level of mods the more emphasis should be on reliability especially if its a dailyi driver or at least look at mods that have been proven in the past

Thread Information