HSV Forum

Air Con Electric + Fan On always

Hi all,

I've a VX HSV 255 since new (yes, 16 years!). Been a dream. Still plenty of squirt left in it.

Anyway a few problems I'm hoping to fix and hoping anyone might have any ideas:

-- Start the engine, engine light comes on after 5 seconds
    -- Idle is a pig (gets much better when warm. Drives OK)

I'm guessing this is the O2 sensors and have replacements for both and will fit in the next day or three.

Long term problem (4 years?):

-- The radiator fans are always on when the engine is on
    -- Click over key to start ignition, they are off
    -- 2 seconds after starting the thermos kick on
    -- Turn engine off and fans are off
    -- Engine temp is OK, gets up to normal no problem
    -- But they run all the time!!!

Next problem:

-- Aircon ran out of gas 3 years ago and had it filled in February (I've been pretty broke for a while). Anyway, now perfect chilly cold, but....
    -- Since refilling, the aircon compressor is off.
    -- Button on dash is OK. The light goes on/off.
    -- Replaced the relay with a new one to see if that was it... nope. Still off regardless of dash switch.
    -- So I pulled the relay and hard-wired it "on" with a 5cm wire and push-in ends. It activates the AC just fine. Insert it, "clunk" aircon on, take out, its off. Perfecto. Try it with the relay back in, its always off.... weird....

So, it appears there is some weirdness between the relay and the interior switch? Any ideas?

BTW, is there an aircon fuse anywhere??? I can't find it.

On the first matter, I'll do the O2 sensors and go to supacheap and have them clear all the codes. I included it as someone may have seen this collection of issues previously.

Other than a clunky diff in reverse (I'm going to grab some PRO GEAR 80W-140 diff oil and swap it out) all seems OK.

Any ideas or help would be vastly appreciated.

Evanism (Canberra)
    Last edited by evanism; 6 Days Ago at 03:32 AM.

wonder if thermo fans are triggered by AC issue thinking there is extra load on the engine with AC being on, even if not functioning
    Ben
    1978 Firebird Formula 6.6L W50
    2002 HSV Clubsport R8 255

Yes, the thermos will come on if the AC is on. There's a few other criteria but that's the gist of it.

Have you checked the fuses under the dash as well as the engine bay?

Yes, I've searched very carefully the engine bay fuses and the under driver side steering. Not one fuse for aircon..

There is a relay, but that's not a fuse.

The thermos are on even if I pull the relay (my jury-rig wire) and the dash switch is off.

If the thermos are staying on with no relay in place then there's likely a short somewhere. I'd check the wiring/plugs above the radiator as my first port of call

Quote Originally Posted by evanism View Post
    Hi all,

I've a VX HSV 255 since new (yes, 16 years!). Been a dream. Still plenty of squirt left in it.

Anyway a few problems I'm hoping to fix and hoping anyone might have any ideas:

-- Start the engine, engine light comes on after 5 seconds
    -- Idle is a pig (gets much better when warm. Drives OK)

I'm guessing this is the O2 sensors and have replacements for both and will fit in the next day or three.

Long term problem (4 years?):

-- The radiator fans are always on when the engine is on
    -- Click over key to start ignition, they are off
    -- 2 seconds after starting the thermos kick on
    -- Turn engine off and fans are off
    -- Engine temp is OK, gets up to normal no problem
    -- But they run all the time!!!

Next problem:

-- Aircon ran out of gas 3 years ago and had it filled in February (I've been pretty broke for a while). Anyway, now perfect chilly cold, but....
    -- Since refilling, the aircon compressor is off.
    -- Button on dash is OK. The light goes on/off.
    -- Replaced the relay with a new one to see if that was it... nope. Still off regardless of dash switch.
    -- So I pulled the relay and hard-wired it "on" with a 5cm wire and push-in ends. It activates the AC just fine. Insert it, "clunk" aircon on, take out, its off. Perfecto. Try it with the relay back in, its always off.... weird....

So, it appears there is some weirdness between the relay and the interior switch? Any ideas?

BTW, is there an aircon fuse anywhere??? I can't find it.

On the first matter, I'll do the O2 sensors and go to supacheap and have them clear all the codes. I included it as someone may have seen this collection of issues previously.

Other than a clunky diff in reverse (I'm going to grab some PRO GEAR 80W-140 diff oil and swap it out) all seems OK.

Any ideas or help would be vastly appreciated.

Evanism (Canberra)
    My VE was doing something similar. It turned out to be a bad earth. All sorted now.
    Wow, member since 2009 and only 2 posts - thats discipline right there

LS2 V3 Vortech Supercharged
    607rwhp

I'd be checking what codes it has before doing anything. Might help to understand whats going on.
    FYI my ECT sensor plug broke off recently and it threw the engine light (ECT code), the fans stayed running and the air-con was disabled. Also the temp gauge still operated but was reading higher than usual.
    Your fans and air-con issues could be related to the ECT sensor or something in that circuit.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Binny, interesting thinking on the ECT. Given they are only a few bux it's worth a shot. Such a little thing, but it can cause havoc.

HEDSUP, good thinking on the earth. Those can be a real bugger to find. I might have to go over all of them....

As for being a member, I've been lurking for absolutely ages. I've read heaps and enjoy some of the threads. I'm not smart enough to do what a lot of others do (upgrades, fiddling with the computer, etc) but I do enjoy it none the less.

+1 for a Coolant Temperature Sensor problem. Accidentally damaged the sensor on my VX GTS the first time I changed the spark plugs. Fans staying on was actually what happened.
    GEN-F2 GTS, VS Clubsport 185i

Thread Information