HSV Forum


Page 4 of 4 First << ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    67
    Hey Jester! Depends what your looking for in a car mate, I was in the exact same position as you were back in 2012. The GT engine blew me away vs. the sluggish LS3. However i much preferred the features on the HSV. I ended up buying a 2011 Cammed E3 Clubsport R8 and I then slapped a blower on top. Fantastic car.

    I eventually sold it and have been driving 4x4's for the last couple of years. That V8 urge won me over last week and I bought a 2006 Manual VZ Maloo R8. Love it! my VZ Monaro CV8z was always one of my favourite vehicles so i knew i wanted another VZ. Although i do love Senators, i wanted to buy a manual which made it difficult...

    Anyway, what i'm saying is that to most people 'newer is always better'. But just go for whatever car you like the look of and go from there. My Maloo is 11 years old but i had an audio / bluetooth / reverse camera system installed today that no new HSV's would even compare too. Plus i love the rawness of the LS2 in the VZ (Before anyone says anything, i have owned 3 VE's also and driven high powered VF's).
    Because life's too short to drive boring Cars.
    Supercharged HSV E3 Clubsport 500RWHP 1000nm
    Previous Rides: Monaro CV8z, VE SS Ute, VE SV6 Ute.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,477
    Quote Originally Posted by RAT8AG View Post
    Hey Jester! Depends what your looking for in a car mate, I was in the exact same position as you were back in 2012. The GT engine blew me away vs. the sluggish LS3. However i much preferred the features on the HSV. I ended up buying a 2011 Cammed E3 Clubsport R8 and I then slapped a blower on top. Fantastic car.

    I eventually sold it and have been driving 4x4's for the last couple of years. That V8 urge won me over last week and I bought a 2006 Manual VZ Maloo R8. Love it! my VZ Monaro CV8z was always one of my favourite vehicles so i knew i wanted another VZ. Although i do love Senators, i wanted to buy a manual which made it difficult...

    Anyway, what i'm saying is that to most people 'newer is always better'. But just go for whatever car you like the look of and go from there. My Maloo is 11 years old but i had an audio / bluetooth / reverse camera system installed today that no new HSV's would even compare too. Plus i love the rawness of the LS2 in the VZ (Before anyone says anything, i have owned 3 VE's also and driven high powered VF's).
    Nothing to be worried about ... the Z series LS2's were awesome ... I had 2. A Senator and a S2 Maloo. I am thinking about another Z Senator in Barbados Blue. For the money these are great cars. Maybe something the Op should think about.
    '06 VZ Senator 4A - 416
    '10 E3 Senator 6M - 26
    '06 VZ S2 R8 Maloo 4A - 31

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV View Post
    No no no. I would never recommend an L76 or L77 VE/VF after mine had a lifter failure at 60,000kms - not covered by warranty either. Read up about those engines, there are plenty of people having the same issue. For me it has to be LS2/LS3/LSA, or pretty much anything without AFM. Essentially a series 1 VF SSV is 260kw, quieter than an SV6 and can't be modified without risk of lifter failure. You can remove the DOD/AFM, like I ended up doing as part of my repair, but it's not a cheap exercise
    Buy manual, just an option for the OP as it seem he wanted to get back into a V8 and the VF Redline has lots to offer

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by markalan1two View Post
    Buy manual, just an option for the OP as it seem he wanted to get back into a V8 and the VF Redline has lots to offer
    Manual is the same engine, same problems as the auto


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    222
    manuals dont have AFM, different cam and lifters
    Last edited by markalan1two; 15-06-2017 at 10:58 PM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    6,666
    Weren't they all L77's in the VF, the AFM was just disabled in manuals?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Weren't they all L77's in the VF, the AFM was just disabled in manuals?
    Correct


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by markalan1two View Post
    manuals dont have AFM, different cam and lifters
    AFM disabled in the tune. Same engine hardware


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    104
    You have to remember in 2011 the dealers could name their price on a GT as everyone wanted that engine. I know my uncle paid $61500 for a brand new one in 2012 when the market calmed down. They did have partial electric seats. I'm sticking up for the falcon here as I sold my fully loaded FG XR6 Turbo for my current E1 Clubsport and kind of regret it. I still would have sold the FG as it was auto and i wanted back in a manual. What i can't believe is the build quality of the VE, it is just atrocious compared to the FG and i'm comparing a falcon to a HSV here. My old VY Clubsport was built better. I pulled the door trims off to install dynomat today to try and get the road noise down and 5 clips snapped off! The road noise is out of control and the seats are just spongy and horrible (cloth).

    I love the Clubsport and i spent 12 months looking for it but its only really the engine and manual transmission that i enjoy. With you saying the VE was far superior to the FG just doesn't make sense to me. If i was you I would be buying that black Senator you linked if it checked out fine, that is a really good price for what it is. I spent 12 months looking for mine because 99% of the ones i looked at (around 20) had been flogged by kids or bogans, really hard to find cared for HSV's as those that care for them seem to hold onto them. If you could stretch to a VF then that is what i would be buying, they are an amazing car!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    You have to remember in 2011 the dealers could name their price on a GT as everyone wanted that engine. I know my uncle paid $61500 for a brand new one in 2012 when the market calmed down. They did have partial electric seats. I'm sticking up for the falcon here as I sold my fully loaded FG XR6 Turbo for my current E1 Clubsport and kind of regret it. I still would have sold the FG as it was auto and i wanted back in a manual. What i can't believe is the build quality of the VE, it is just atrocious compared to the FG and i'm comparing a falcon to a HSV here. My old VY Clubsport was built better. I pulled the door trims off to install dynomat today to try and get the road noise down and 5 clips snapped off! The road noise is out of control and the seats are just spongy and horrible (cloth).

    I love the Clubsport and i spent 12 months looking for it but its only really the engine and manual transmission that i enjoy. With you saying the VE was far superior to the FG just doesn't make sense to me. If i was you I would be buying that black Senator you linked if it checked out fine, that is a really good price for what it is. I spent 12 months looking for mine because 99% of the ones i looked at (around 20) had been flogged by kids or bogans, really hard to find cared for HSV's as those that care for them seem to hold onto them. If you could stretch to a VF then that is what i would be buying, they are an amazing car!
    Simo, I had the Y series 2 Clubsport before my LS3 E1 Clubby, and the difference in build quality in my opinion is like day and night. The E series is so much better in every way except for weight. My car has dynamat throughout, and the road noise is minimal at worst. The doors close with a solid thud and no rattles, especially when compared to the Y2.

    The FG XR6T was a quick car, even without any mods, but refined wasn't a word I'd associate with the way it drove.
    My old man had the FG F6, and my brother in law has an FG XR6T, and on anything other than perfectly smooth roads, those cars felt like they had cheap taxi underpinnings that liked to rattle anywhere and everywhere. Probably because they sat on a platform that debuted with the AU falcons, albeit with the Barra upgrades that came with the BA Falcon.

    I don't know how long ago it was that you last drove your FG, but I'd bet if you drove the FG after having driven your E series for a while, you'd be very surprised just how good your HSV actually is.







Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •