HSV Forum

Supercharger rattle?

I have a 2017 LSA Tourer that sounds like there is something loose within the supercharger. Is this possible?
    Just after I got the Walkinshaw 507 upgrade, I noticed the supercharger whine significantly more that when the car was standard which I put down to the upper pulley spinning the rotors faster. Fabulous sound, I totally loved the improvement. But over the last couple of weeks, the sweet whine is still there, just seams to be less of it. Today I was idling near a wall and had my window open, and I was very aware of my engine sounding like loose bolts. Once I got home I popped the bonnet to get a better listen. Now I'm not that mechanical, so please bear with me, over the exhaust I could hear what I assume to be the rockers doing their job, but the rattle was more central. I put my ear close to the supercharger lid and it sounded like something inside it was rattling like crazy. Obviously I'm a bit concerned and will be taking it back to who did the W507 upgrade for them to listen too, but I also wanted to reach out to you all for any advice or theories.
    Thanks.

I believe some forum members have said that GM/Eaton have gone back to the spring loaded isolators in the supercharger, these rattle and wear down the shaft, you likely have a spring loaded isolator, you should change it out for a solid one.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    I believe some forum members have said that GM/Eaton have gone back to the spring loaded isolators in the supercharger, these rattle and wear down the shaft, you likely have a spring loaded isolator, you should change it out for a solid one.
    Harrop change these in the upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    Harrop change these in the upgrade
    Yes but the belief is that Eaton made a better spring isolator so maybe they want to try and see how it goes.

Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Yes but the belief is that Eaton made a better spring isolator so maybe they want to try and see how it goes.
    I would put the solid in and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    I would put the solid in and be done with it
    I have a solid in mine

I have a solid in mine
    Yes me too,pretty soon I'll be giving you a call for a interchiller kit

Unfortunately the spring is not the problem because when doing the upgrade they replaced the spring with the solid version, and they gave me the spring version back as proof that they had changed it. But I do appreciate the theory. Any more ideas?

When they put the top pulley on they could have knocked the bearing out and then it worked lose and noisy

Thread Information