HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

Thread: VE exhaust

VE exhaust

My mate is on a budget and wants some sound, nothing crazy. He doesn't care about power or tunes. Has anybody tried the rear muffler delete pipes on a VE. Do they drone or do they make much difference at all.
    VF GTS, 22.5% overdrive pulley, 2" primary 4-1 extractors on to twin 3" exhaust, Cold Air, 160 deg thermostat, Cam, double valve springs, 65lbs injectors. 649 rwhp.

No mufflers on the end will def give a louder sound.
    He can always take the mufflers off to get an idea what it would sound like. (They are only held in by 2 bolts per muffler.
    Last edited by xplaya; 19-05-2017 at 10:28 AM.

I saw these muffler delete pipes that have a j pipe on them, never heard of them before but it's meant to get rid of the drone. Any had experience with these.
    VF GTS, 22.5% overdrive pulley, 2" primary 4-1 extractors on to twin 3" exhaust, Cold Air, 160 deg thermostat, Cam, double valve springs, 65lbs injectors. 649 rwhp.

Quote Originally Posted by Remdogg View Post
    My mate is on a budget and wants some sound, nothing crazy. He doesn't care about power or tunes. Has anybody tried the rear muffler delete pipes on a VE. Do they drone or do they make much difference at all.
    Funny you should mention this, I recently did this last week. I have a walkinshaw 2.5 system but was pretty quiet until you stepped on it....So last week took to a shop to sort it out.....removed rear mufflers and went straight through 2.5....sounds tough(well I think so).

Upsides: You will scare the sht out of anyone within 3 suburbs. The grin on your face doing so. Flybys through tunnels now shatter eardrums. Everyone gets out of your way now.
    Downsides: Drone....if u remove mufflers there will be drone. Cruising on the highway at 110 in 6th can be annoying. But around town its pretty good.

ill try put up a sound clip when I can work it out.
    2008 MY09 HSV VE SENATOR #0270.
    Life's pretty straight without mufflers

Quote Originally Posted by WhipLash View Post
    Funny you should mention this, I recently did this last week. I have a walkinshaw 2.5 system but was pretty quiet until you stepped on it....So last week took to a shop to sort it out.....removed rear mufflers and went straight through 2.5....sounds tough(well I think so).

Upsides: You will scare the sht out of anyone within 3 suburbs. The grin on your face doing so. Flybys through tunnels now shatter eardrums. Everyone gets out of your way now.
    Downsides: Drone....if u remove mufflers there will be drone. Cruising on the highway at 110 in 6th can be annoying. But around town its pretty good.

ill try put up a sound clip when I can work it out.

Does yours have j pipes

sedan or sportwagon?

if wagon, I do not suggest it... the drone booom noise is appalling
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    sedan or sportwagon?

if wagon, I do not suggest it... the drone booom noise is appalling
    Sedan

Does yours have j pipes
    Pipes are in the shape of a J so I can only assume this is what you meant.
    2008 MY09 HSV VE SENATOR #0270.
    Life's pretty straight without mufflers

the j acts as a resonance chamber and can remove most of the drone, look up Helmholtz and you will see what they do, had them on mine and the only drone left was at about 1600rpm in 6th and you squeeze the throttle (very minimal too) the sound is also subjective, some people like some dont

these are J pipes

Thread Information