HSV Forum

Rear wheel to flywheel conversion.

How do you figure out flywheel conversions. I have 649 rwhp and 825 nm at the tread. What would flywheel be? Roughly obviously.
    VF GTS, 22.5% overdrive pulley, 2" primary 4-1 extractors on to twin 3" exhaust, Cold Air, 160 deg thermostat, Cam, double valve springs, 65lbs injectors. 649 rwhp.

I've always said rwhp is close to flywheel kW. If you run up a car in standard form, it's generally pretty close

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    I've always said rwhp is close to flywheel kW. If you run up a car in standard form, it's generally pretty close

I am not sure I get that.
    Are you are saying he has 649fwkw?
    or
    870fwhp?
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

It's going to vary dyno to dyno.
    With dyno numbers you always want to be on the same dyno strapped into both rollers for consistency.
    Use the dyno purely for tuning.

If you drag race the car the track will tell you your engine HP with your MPH versus weight.
    There are plenty of cars that claim big HP numbers but can't back them up at the track and mph never lies.

I'd rather use a low reading dyno that's consistent than some of the Disney dynos out there.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    9.912 @146.61mph 17/May/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.56sec
    V-Box Results 0-60mph in 2.43sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I am not sure I get that.
    Are you are saying he has 649fwkw?
    or
    870fwhp?
    Yup.
    Some will say the drivetrain loss isn't a constant percentage (34% when converting HP to kW) but if you take a 100kw 4 cylinder and it makes 100rwhp then compare it to a 400kw V8 that makes 400rwhp, they're generally pretty similar, give or take for dynos, freak engines, some engines being constantly under rated, etc etc

Cheers for the replies but was only looking for a rough estimation, all dynos vary. My driving on the strip might no pay homage to the car.

Kind of want to know the torque figure
    VF GTS, 22.5% overdrive pulley, 2" primary 4-1 extractors on to twin 3" exhaust, Cold Air, 160 deg thermostat, Cam, double valve springs, 65lbs injectors. 649 rwhp.

Quote Originally Posted by Remdogg View Post
    How do you figure out flywheel conversions. I have 649 rwhp and 825 nm at the tread. What would flywheel be? Roughly obviously.
    Roughly speaking - 649rwhp = 791hp at the flywheel ( 791fwhp ).

LS2 V3 Vortech Supercharged
    607rwhp

Another way to look at it is this,

Modified rwhp figure minus 100% stock rwhp figure added to the manufactures claimed standard flywheel figure to find new flywheel HP.

Thread Information