HSV Forum

Page 5 of 6 First << ... 3456 Last >>

Thread: Oils

Oils

Id like to know from an engineer why its deemed ok?

I would assume slight oil usage is normal. Eg full at service and at low marker 15000km later.

Even the work vans dont really use any oil

is it actual oil usage or just oil going thru the crank breather to intake getting burnt prob to pass emissions..?

The H6 Subarus and some of the H4s are the same - 1l/1000km considered acceptable.

Acceptable to everyone except the owner that is.
    MY12.5 Clubsport Manual in Alto Grey, MY11 SV6 auto in Voodoo, 1964 EH Manual wagon in Cream.

Haha, Yeah, in reality, it's not that bad. Just means you have to monitor it in between 15K service intervals. (Not that I'm doing that schedule.)

Now that you all are back on track. I just thought. Shit, I used AC Delco oil In a car that's should have the preferred Mobil 1 stuff. Anyway, got a slight tick at idle after 400K and I'm not dealing with that!
    DO NOT USE AC DELCO 5W/30 lol. Mind you, I did use a Ryco 668 because they didn't have a 668Z? in stock. This could be my slight tick from the left hand side fender area.

Maybe this cheap shit will help with the consumption in the next 5K and I will have a look at Mobil 1 and other's. I'm going to steer clear of Nulon for now, maybe run some through the L77 and see how it goes..

Moral is. Stay away from AC Delco 5W/30 unless you drive an SV6.
    Country Family 2.2 working for the Big Australian. Dual-trade mechanic LV/SME.
    Favourite saying: Go Dad! Go! Ohh, Alright then.
    Rides:
    2015 Gen-F2 Clubsport R8 LSA 6 speed Auto Slipstream Blue: Mum's family car.
    K&N panel filter.
    2010 VE SS Redline Ute 6 speed Manual Red Hot: Dad's play rig.
    Pacemaker headers, 3" exhaust, 2.5" DPE rear mufflers, OTR.

2011 JG Cruze CDX 6 speed Auto Velvet Red: Dad's drive to work car.
    HSV badges lel.

Quote Originally Posted by 8pack View Post
    Thats a long read - I need to lay down

Interesting opinion on Oil Heat range:
    An ideal oil sump temperature range is between 215*F and 250*F. If your sump temperature runs hotter than this range, you should add an oil cooler, or upgrade your oil cooler, if you already have one. This range is hot enough to quickly boil off the normal condensation that always forms during cold engine start-up, before that water dilutes the oil.
    And that range is cool enough to do three things:
    1. It is cool enough to keep the oilís wear protection capability at the highest level achievable by that oil.
    2. It is cool enough to provide critical cooling for engine components, which of course are directly oil cooled. Remember, engine components are only indirectly water cooled.
    3. It is cool enough to keep most oils below their onset of thermal breakdown point.
    But, motor oils do NOT stop working the instant they reach their onset of thermal breakdown point. However, it is not a good idea to run oil above its thermal breakdown point for extended periods of time. Because that will degrade its capability more and more as time/mileage goes on.

LS2 V3 Vortech Supercharged
    607rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by NU13 View Post
    I'm another that uses 5w-30 fully synth. Great oil. I also run penrite in my diff and gearbox.
    You using Nulon or Penrite?

I see penrite is on special at supercheap for NZ. Might give them ago.

Oils

I've always used Penrite in mine, the 10-40w ten tenths stuff. Zero dramas, like NU13 I run it in my gearbox too, not sure what brand is in the diff, what ever the shop put in when they put the 4.11 in but when I change it, it will be penrite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather than starting a new thread, thought I would post it here, Repco has Mobil 1, 5W-30 half price at $49.99 starting this Thursday (15 June 2017 - Sunday 25 June 2017).
    MY12.5 Clubsport Manual in Alto Grey, MY11 SV6 auto in Voodoo, 1964 EH Manual wagon in Cream.

Thanks mate.

Thread Information