HSV Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 Last >>

Valvetrain noise?

Hey guys,
    Having some noises at the moment that I'm concerned about. Well I'm having a few issues due to this car being driven a lot more than it's used to since I bought it. It had averaged under 7000km a year when I bought it. I did that in 4 months and in a lot of heavy stop start traffic.

I've noticed it getting a bit noisy, a bit of a tick at at idle and could hear it reflecting off the concrete barriers when rolling along in traffic. I sit in traffic a lot and the cooling system is working fine but I figured the oil temp gets quite hot so I put some fresh oil in this weekend. I went with Penrite's recommended HPR10 10w50 for a bit of extra protection. I don't know what it had in it before but now it seems worse. I assumed it would have had the standard 10w30 put in by the Holden dealer.

I also replaced the plugs and leads and apart from the sound it's going great. I can't hear anything under acceleration, it sounds really strong. But for some reason its very rattly when decelerating and doesn't seem to matter whether the clutch is in or out.

Its got me worried, Any ideas? I think I need to take it somewhere like WSM that do a lot of LS engines and get them to have a look.

Oh, I should add it has 99,000km on it. So just a baby really, or troublesome teen haha.

LS motors can be very picky on oils. Most will say a semi synth is the way to go but I've been using Castrol edge 10w60 for a very long time with no noise issues. My only suggestion would be either trial and error until you find an oil that works for your motor or try throwing in an additive to try and quieten it down

White lie is on the money, try different oil as the issue with the LS1 is shitty lifters, probably were most of the ticking noise is coming from.

Thanks fellas.
    Any suggestions of an additive to try before I try a different oil?

Binny, I hate to say it but mate that's how mine started off too. I think yours will go down the same path as mine and you will hear a terrible rattle on start up, particularly when cold and you will see the flicker of the engine oil light about 5-10 sec after you start it. I reckon for sure it's lifter related. Have you had a compression test on yours yet?

We should go together to WSM and see if they can offer us a discount as a "group buy" lol.

Might be worth getting the valvetrain looked at , could be the beginning of the end

Ive had a noisy lifter since engine was built. Was using 10w50 ten tenths but changed to 5w40 last oil change.
    Ticking has gone and also a higher grade oil will be hotter so going lower has dropped oil temps a few degrees.

If ya handy with the tools id pull the heads and drop new lifters in it just to be safe.

When i did the rebuild in my VX GTS i used LS7 lifters, my cam has around 600 lift too so my lifters are noisy, does my head really as their always chattering away. Have been using Castrol Edge 10w60 but am thinking of trying Penrite next service to see if it helps.

Cheers

Maccas

Quote Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
    When i did the rebuild in my VX GTS i used LS7 lifters, my cam has around 600 lift too so my lifters are noisy, does my head really as their always chattering away. Have been using Castrol Edge 10w60 but am thinking of trying Penrite next service to see if it helps.

Cheers

Maccas
    Penrite didn't help me but it may be my situation.
    I went with the Penrite apps recommendation of HPR10 10w-50 full synthetic. As alternatives it suggested Semi Syn 10w-40 and Racing 10W-40.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyinc View Post
    Ive had a noisy lifter since engine was built. Was using 10w50 ten tenths but changed to 5w40 last oil change.
    Ticking has gone and also a higher grade oil will be hotter so going lower has dropped oil temps a few degrees.

If ya handy with the tools id pull the heads and drop new lifters in it just to be safe.
    That's interesting but also confusing lol.
    Here I am thinking a thicker oil would have made it quieter and you fixed yours with lighter oil.

I've rebuilt and IL6 before so I'm not a total numpty but I would have to take it slow and easy to make sure I did it right. Would probably lose more skin off my knuckles too lol. I lost enough doing the plugs on the weekend. I need it as my daily too for the school and work runs.

Its strange because it is really going well. I don't drive it hard much but since I changed the plugs and leads on the weekend it has heaps more torque. So I wound it out in 3rd on the freeway on ramp this morning and the traction control started pushing back as I approached 100. I wondering if it has a cam in it.

Thread Information