HSV Forum

Page 3 of 8 First << 12345 ... Last >>
    You might be better off trying a power cruise or something similar. Not complete racing but get the opportunity to get some side by side speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an naturally aspirated LS3, the LSA will be even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by VFR8 View Post
    Bit more of an update, although a fair few already know.

Went to Calder Park a few weeks back. Started off with a 1:14.9 down to a 1:10.1 after 9 laps in 6 or so sessions... Only managed to get 9 laps due to pretty high VF Oil Temps. Two issues really (ambient was 22 by lunch and 25 in afternoon)

Part 1
    1. First session - After a warm-up/opener, oil temps are already @ 109-110 degrees (factory operating). 1 flying lap and oil temps are at 120c, continue another half lap and they are up around 125-130c. So I lifted off as that's pushing the friendship a little. Temp continued to climb quite a bit past 130c over the next 60 seconds after having lifted off, so either lots of residual heat or the sensor is a bit slow. Not sure which.

Part two:

2. Heat dissipation. Once the car reached anything over 125c, established it would climb at wildly rapid rate. It would take 4-5 cool down laps (8mins) for the temps to come back to 120c from their peak. By then the session is all over red rover, it would take a further 5mins cruising around a 'parade' area at 20km/h to come to 110c where I felt it was safe to turn the car off.

I tried short shifting @ 5000rpm for the next session, no joy - only 1.5 laps on the loud pedal. So yeah after that I was basically restricted to one flying lap in a 12min session.

ESC/ABS was quite generous in Perf mode. You don't even realise it's coming on sometimes unless you really upset it then it gives you a nice smack
    It did start to invade a little bit too much towards the end of the day as I was getting used to the big beast. There was certainly more left in it if I turned off the ESC or even did more laps to get used to 'working with' it... It was actually my first time doing a full lap of the Calder circuit so learning both the car/circuit was enough for that day as mid afternoon everything was as fast as it was gonna get for the day.

Brakes - excellent. Didn't reach any limits there and Calder is pretty much all about brakes.

Tyres - ok - left front took an absolute beating. Totally expected that to happen. Won't use the Conti's again though, a mate is running them at the moment and said the same thing having come from Bridgestone/Dunlop RFT which were a lot better with a heavy car better and about the same price. So even for street duties that should improve things once the Conti's have had it (which wont be long haha).

Overall the oil temps left a pretty bad taste over what was otherwise a reasonable day.

Very uneasy about driving it hard again (spirited/hills I've no doubt in my mind I'll see 135+), let alone a club track day. To the defence side, and Mr Purcell has been helpful after getting in contact with him - HSV have said today that 120c is pretty normal for a VF LS3 Oil Temp, 160c is where the warning light comes on and oil needs to be changed (obviously).

I've seen 120c just driving around in traffic on a 22c day so not sure myself that I'm comfy with it 130c+ being safe on a 40c ambient day just driving around (let alone being driven hard)... That is really getting up there for a 5w-35w oil as per service manual.

Take from it all what you will I guess.
    Last edited by GenF-GTS; 15-04-2017 at 03:14 PM.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Steel View Post
    Hi Air have done many track days ,

This is my experience with it all,

I joined the ARDC at Sydney Motor Sport park , Just fill out the paper work , nothing dramatic .Cost around $140
    Then you need a CAMS L2 licence spped licence, just more paper work , filled out at the same place or online about the same cost .
    The track days are normally divided into morning or after noon sessions they will be run in 20 minute sessions ,
    You will divided into 3 different groups to fit the 3 groups into a 1 hour run . You may get 4 driving sessions in.
    Helmet and long sleeves and long pants, No racing suit needed . They may checked your vehicle, they have never checked mine .

I have a VF GTS and i have never any any issue with oil surging or problems with oil temperature, its does get hotter than normal , but i am canning the living daylights out of it. 3 sets of tries in 40,000 klms ,one of those was a set of semi slicks .
    I have seem many other cars stopped with issues from overheating to brakes etc but my VF gts LSA gave me know problems , it also had a stage two kit as well , its was done at about 2,000 kls mark

This is just my experience
    You're right in what you have written, but the days you talk about (I was there March 21 with both my cars)
    are non timed/non competitive, very different to a club super sprint.

That's why your car wasn't checked. (which IMHO is nuts)
    I use days like these as cheap track practice time. But, again, nothing like a club super sprint.

But, also in saying that, what a great way to drive the car with some purpose in an controlled
    environment away from public roads.
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    This is an naturally aspirated LS3, the LSA will be even worse.
    I think VFR8 would greatly benefit with an oil cooler, and a better brand of oil.
    Oil temp in the 110 to 118/119 'c is ideal IMO.

Doing hill climbs where there is no warm up, practice etc
    I hold the revs up on mine in the pits until oil temp hits 110.

I wrote once before that at Wakefield one time my VE had the 150'c warning "light up"
    in the centre display.
    Since fitting a cooler no more probs.
    I had the VF there on the same day & it gave no problems.

I think preparation is the key to longevity for our cars.
    Part time track day racers where the car will see 7 or 8 laps at a time in
    a non race scenario should be fine with an unmodified car.
    But if you want to do super sprints that are timed, some research & car mods are
    much needed..........

look for a 'come and try day' as we in Vic do . easy way to test the idea out.at ours we do familiarity run, then with instruction, then go for it.u can go as hard as u want.great way to see what their like!!

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    I think VFR8 would greatly benefit with an oil cooler, and a better brand of oil.
    Oil temp in the 110 to 118/119 'c is ideal IMO.

Doing hill climbs where there is no warm up, practice etc
    I hold the revs up on mine in the pits until oil temp hits 110.

I wrote once before that at Wakefield one time my VE had the 150'c warning "light up"
    in the centre display.
    Since fitting a cooler no more probs.
    I had the VF there on the same day & it gave no problems.

I think preparation is the key to longevity for our cars.
    Part time track day racers where the car will see 7 or 8 laps at a time in
    a non race scenario should be fine with an unmodified car.
    But if you want to do super sprints that are timed, some research & car mods are
    much needed..........
    Exactly thats why I said a sump baffle and oil cooler are a must, however the next issue for those with a supercharger is cooking the intercooler brick, springing a leak and hydroing the engine.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Thanks for the replies so far chaps,

I think i may be overshooting my skill levels now that i am getting the picture of what a track day is. Something what Prussian Steel mentioned might be more my thing to start with.

and

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    non timed/non competitive, very different to a club super sprint.

But, also in saying that, what a great way to drive the car with some purpose in an controlled
    environment away from public roads.
    Like to sound of no pressure enjoyment to begin with. Will have to go visit track day when you are particapating TPKW30 to get a good idea of it

Having said that tho,

I am currently researching baffles and oil coolers.....

Baffle

Oil Cooler?

I look forward to getting to a club meeting or other track day to see first hand what people have done mods wise.

So what oil are you track guys using, would a group 4 100% synthetic be worth trying if your not already using this.

Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far chaps,

I think i may be overshooting my skill levels now that i am getting the picture of what a track day is. Something what Prussian Steel mentioned might be more my thing to start with.

and

Like to sound of no pressure enjoyment to begin with. Will have to go visit track day when you are particapating TPKW30 to get a good idea of it

If you look at the CAMS website, you will see the dates for the 2 events I am entered in.
    My "PASSION" :- Cams NSW Hill Climb championship &
    the Cams NSW Super Sprint series..

Thread Information