HSV Forum

Page 2 of 8 First << 1234 ... Last >>
    Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    Join any Cams affiliated car club that does motor sport.

Then apply to Cams for a Level 2 speed licence (paperwork & send money)

You are then able to enter any Cams event, with any club, wether it be track days, hill climbs, super sprints etc.
    Obviously clubs give members priority at events, non members get given a chance to
    grab left over spots.

You will need approved helmet & wrist to neck to ankle clothing. (Nylon forbidden)
    Some scrutineers will also knock back non-leather shoes.

The car will need battery location triangle, tow points & tow location stickers & an approved
    fire extinguisher. Also has to be roadworthy.
    The car will always go through scrutiny, and depending on who checks it how
    severe they are.

Depending on the track & event, you will usually get more than enough track time
    to satisfy the desire.

You should also remember that on track, no insurance.

Thanks TPKW30, some good tips there, was wondering how the CAMS licensing thing worked. Any suggestions of which club?

Air, considering you are purchasing an HSV, you may as well join the HSV Owners club in the state where you want to participate. You can then join other club activities when you are back in Aus.

Oil sump baffles are not factory because of GM.
    Yes the car is marketed to "track racing" but it's far from a capable track car, your oil temp will go high very quickly it does need an oil cooler as well as a sump baffle. (Both have been proven by forum members)

If the car "was track capable" it would have insurance or warranty at the track yet it has none unlike others cars like Porsche who do cover racing use.

What most people also forget is superchargers are not built for circuit eventually you will cook the intercooler rupture the brick and hydro your engine with coolant.

Superchargers provide instant power and torque for drag racing and street use, turbos are for a track or naturally aspirated.
    As said this is why you will not see any professional race team use superchargers in circuit racing, it's just not the right application for it.
    Last edited by GenF-GTS; 15-04-2017 at 01:14 PM.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post

What most people also forget is superchargers are not built for circuit eventually you will cook the intercooler rupture the brick and hydro your engine with coolant.

Superchargers provide instant power and torque for drag racing and street use, turbos are for a track or naturally aspirated.
    As said this is why you will not see any professional race team use superchargers in circuit racing, it's just not the right application for it.
    Thanks GenF-GTS, i understand your Chiller helps alot for drag racing, would it help much on keeping the intercooler from cooking on trackdays?

Do many LSA owners take their cars to track days? or is this a rare thing now?

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    Oil sump baffles are not factory because of GM.
    Yes the car is marketed to "track racing" but it's far from a capable track car, your oil temp will go high very quickly it does need an oil cooler as well as a sump baffle. (Both have been proven by forum members)

If the car "was track capable" it would have insurance or warranty at the track yet it has none unlike others cars like Porsche who do cover racing use.
    Would it be more beneficial trying to convert it to dry sump? I will do some forum searches for those posts. Can you recall what the best solution was for track racing the LSA. Oil cooler and baffle packages? Or mostly find a shop and go custom?

Kinda wondering now, damn, maybe i shoulda bought a Porsche lol

Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    Thanks GenF-GTS, i understand your Chiller helps alot for drag racing, would it help much on keeping the intercooler from cooking on trackdays?

Do many LSA owners take their cars to track days? or is this a rare thing now?
    The setup we sell for the GTS is for drag, street, powercruise and mile racing, it cannot keep it cool any longer than that.
    We have not yet tried it but an electric AC compressor could be used on a standalone system for circuit racing.

Would it be more beneficial trying to convert it to dry sump? I will do some forum searches for those posts. Can you recall what the best solution was for track racing the LSA. Oil cooler and baffle packages? Or mostly find a shop and go custom?

Kinda wondering now, damn, maybe i shoulda bought a Porsche lol
    Dry sump is much better for circuit racing, but very expensive.
    Hence the conversion of a cheap baffle and an oil cooler are used.
    Along with this you can also increase oil flow and pressure to ensure longevity.

But as I keep saying superchargers are simply not designed for circuit it will reach a point where you simply destroy the intercooler and hydo the engine, this isn't a case of maybe it's a case of when.

The only thing convincing me otherwise would be to run an electric AC compressor but again thats untested and would need to be installed, proven to work then data logged on a track.

Since I'm not into circuit racing I have no intentions of being the one to go first on a project like that, I'd be happy to build it and make it work the best I can but not on my own car as it's setup for drag racing not circuit.

In my opinion you would run a system like this in 1 of 2 ways...1 of the ways will work better than the other.

25L reservoir in the boot, electric AC compressor and possibly also use the front HX for cooling, if the front HX isn't required then the system will be colder and more efficient. Run the system for 10-15min before racing to cool down all of the coolant volume and then simply try to keep it cool for the circuit race.

As you can see it's possible but not practical, if you were building a race car it simply would not be supercharged.

Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

putting equipment aside for the moment, what is a typical track day composed of?

Morning Briefing, inspection by scrutineers, suit up, and go for a cruise?

putting equipment aside for the moment, what is a typical track day composed of?

Morning Briefing, inspection by scrutineers, suit up, and go for a cruise?
    Hi Air have done many track days ,

This is my experience with it all,

I joined the ARDC at Sydney Motor Sport park , Just fill out the paper work , nothing dramatic .Cost around $140
    Then you need a CAMS L2 licence spped licence, just more paper work , filled out at the same place or online about the same cost .
    The track days are normally divided into morning or after noon sessions they will be run in 20 minute sessions ,
    You will divided into 3 different groups to fit the 3 groups into a 1 hour run . You may get 4 driving sessions in.
    Helmet and long sleeves and long pants, No racing suit needed . They may checked your vehicle, they have never checked mine .

I have a VF GTS and i have never any any issue with oil surging or problems with oil temperature, its does get hotter than normal , but i am canning the living daylights out of it. 3 sets of tries in 40,000 klms ,one of those was a set of semi slicks .
    I have seem many other cars stopped with issues from overheating to brakes etc but my VF gts LSA gave me know problems , it also had a stage two kit as well , its was done at about 2,000 kls mark

This is just my experience

Did you monitor or log oil and intake temp2 (IAT2) Prussian Steel

I know on the street not even a track when my GTS was bone stock I could get the oil temp up to 140c in under 10min of spirited street driving I'd hate to see what it gets to on a track because when I saw 140c I decided that was enough abuse purely based on the oil temp.

So how much hotter would oil temps get in a lsa compared to na ls3 under identical circumstances. Got me second guessing my lsa purchase genf.

Thread Information