HSV Forum

Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last >>

Question about Track Days

Track Days, what are the general requirements, rules and accessibility?

My initial understanding is the easiest way is to join a club and attend the scheduled track day each month or set interval.

As I work overseas full time, my chances to attend scheduled track days is very limited. So was considering whether it was possible to join multiple interstate HSV clubs to increase the chance and opportunities to attend them.

I did notice that the Wakefield track even allows ad hoc track days.

Assumption is, full face helmet , wrist to ankle fireproof suit?

What can I expect on these days? How many laps can you expect to get in? Briefings? Tips? Guides or instructions?

I have plenty of questions and hoping to hear first hand from other HSV enthusiasts that partake in track days.

Superchargers are not designed for circuit racing. This is why you will not see any professional race team using superchargers, they are for the street and drags.

If you do circuit race it the LSA will also require a sump baffle for circuit.

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    If you do circuit race it the LSA will also require a sump baffle for circuit.
    Mmmm sump baffle, will have to do a bit of research on that.

I'm not intending to race it, just wanted the opportunity to drive it legally over the speed limit and learn to handle it and enjoy the ride.

I lived in the NT before they put up the limited signs. Was thinking track days would allow one to release that desire to push the car.

Are the sump baffles required by track rules, or for the possibility of g during cornering?

You need the baffle for cornering you will lose oil climbing up the side and running the pickup dry
    Members of this forum have destroyed engines from this on the LSA

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Question about Track Days

Quote Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
    You need the baffle for cornering you will lose oil climbing up the side and running the pickup dry
    Members of this forum have destroyed engines from this on the LSA
    Would this happen on the streets? Say a big long corner on steady throttle?

Any idea of the cost to put a baffle in and are there any negatives to having one fitted for general street use?

I'm also thinking about using mine on the odd track day - not racing, just 4-5 laps at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

There are private companies that do track days

Id suggest do 1 and then see if you want to join a club

Ive done quite a few at phillip island and to be honest it was fun but cant say ill be doing it again in a hurry

Mainly because once you start getting fast it's incredibly taxing on your car and i dont fancy the idea of ploughing my car into a fence

Of course the above is all imho some people love track days

Join any Cams affiliated car club that does motor sport.

Then apply to Cams for a Level 2 speed licence (paperwork & send money)

You are then able to enter any Cams event, with any club, wether it be track days, hill climbs, super sprints etc.
    Obviously clubs give members priority at events, non members get given a chance to
    grab left over spots.

You will need approved helmet & wrist to neck to ankle clothing. (Nylon forbidden)
    Some scrutineers will also knock back non-leather shoes.

The car will need battery location triangle, tow points & tow location stickers & an approved
    fire extinguisher. Also has to be roadworthy.
    The car will always go through scrutiny, and depending on who checks it how
    severe they are.

Depending on the track & event, you will usually get more than enough track time
    to satisfy the desire.

You should also remember that on track, no insurance.

GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post

Ive done quite a few at phillip island and to be honest it was fun but cant say ill be doing it again in a hurry

Mainly because once you start getting fast it's incredibly taxing on your car and i dont fancy the idea of ploughing my car into a fence

.. which is why I stopped using my VX Clubbie way back
    and bought an old VK interceptor (in yellow of course) and converted
    it into a track only vehicle (complete with cage, single race seat + harness etc)
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Whilst I Definitely appreciate the quick tips provided by GenF-GTS, I read a lot of your posts looking for information on how best to safeguard and protect engine (thanks GenF-GTS for all your contributions to this forum), my thoughts drift a little.....

HSV market this car for the track. Almost everything i read and see about the product subliminally tells me....."this car made for the track", from the advertisements of GTS's been flung around Bathurst sideways in corners, to invitations to try out the cars on tracks to prospective buyers, car review companies driving them on the tracks for their reviews, up selling the fact that the cars all have the tracks preloaded onto the mylinks. HSV car clubs promote track days as a big part of their club activities. The car even displays your g-loads and drift angles.

If the LS series of engines have been known to have issues with loss of oil pressure due high sustained g loads during cornering, resulting in engine failure, I'm curious why baffles couldn't be installed at the factory?

Whilst there will be the enthusiastic among us that will want to push their car hard on the track, with the pedals in binary mode, i was wondering how many people go out for the "enjoyable" factor, easing in and out of corners , holding the loads smoothly, as opposed to thrashing the HSV. (I don't mind driving in "granny mode" ). Would driving in granny mode slow down the others on the track or be considered "interrupting "?

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post

Thanks Craze, I'm thinking that may be a good idea, as I think I may have had the wrong assumption about what a track day was.

Thread Information