HSV Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 Last >>

VE1 R8 Amp and sub install

I have searched far and wide for a how to but i can't find one. Is it possible to hook an amp up to run a 12" sub straight from the boot without wiring from the head unit? The 8" subs are ok but i want deeper bass. I've read of people hooking up an amp just to run a sub but am yet to find a how to.

I don't want to run new speakers, i am happy with the vocals, i have turned the existing amp up to 3/4 and changed the wires around on the 8" subs but i still want more bass.

u can run an amp from the wiring in the boost but there is no trigger so will have to use the input sensing for turn on, the factory sub just has the rear speakers run thru it for the sub sound so its all there just has to be rewired for an external amp then off to what ever sub u want

Yes. Call me. PM sent.

Mick
    MY09 Senator Signature
    Cleaned --- Protected --- Driven

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    u can run an amp from the wiring in the boost but there is no trigger so will have to use the input sensing for turn on, the factory sub just has the rear speakers run thru it for the sub sound so its all there just has to be rewired for an external amp then off to what ever sub u want
    Can anyone explain this? So there is NO remote wire in the stock amp loom? I was going to wire the new amp to this loom when I get around to doing it, but if there is no remote wire. Does the stock AMP stay on 24/7?

Also where/what's the easiest place to wire the remote trigger from? Anything in the boot?
    Last edited by xplaya; 20-04-2017 at 08:27 AM.

It doesn't stay on 24/7 but likely just runs completely off the ignition. It's not a big amp by any means so would be possible to run it directly off a fused ignition source.
    I'm sure you could pinch that as a power source but it will be on even if the HU is off if that's the case. Otherwise do as 07 says and get an amp that turns on with sound detection

the stock head unit and amp use the "can" data or speaker input for amp to turn on and off it just has a constant power to it otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    the stock head unit and amp use the "can" data or speaker input for amp to turn on and off it just has a constant power to it otherwise
    Would it be wise to cut into the Stock loom and use this as a remote wire if its coming off the can data?

I found a post online

Dont quote me but its something about running a line convertor from your stock amp into your new amp and then to the new sub...
    What is your thoughts about this setup? Is this ok to do (Not to much power)? Plugging a LOC up to the stock amp speaker output then onto the new AMP? This would save me chewing through the rear door wires?

the head unit uses "can" and i think the rear amp uses speaker inputs (all tho it turns on before sound so maby can also) i have a media player in mine for the screen and i wanted a trigger so it stayed on with the head unit but there is none so i ended up using a timer so its triggered with accessories on and stays on for an hour after loss of acc power (or any set time) then turns off

Aerpro APU8SUM. Same as the AudioControl LC8i. Has remote trigger from audio signal.

https://aerpro.com/apu8sum

Mick
    MY09 Senator Signature
    Cleaned --- Protected --- Driven

Thread Information