HSV Forum

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last >>

Thread: 2018

There is always something interesting coming across my desk and this one has popped up a couple of times recently . . . so Ill set the scene first and elaborate in a minute

The Next Gen Commodore is a damn fine looking car - sure there is plenty of neg going on and yes 4dr sedans are a dying breed "at the moment". . . but lets be clear its got all the available chassis tech to be one of the best 4 door sedans on the planet . . . AWD . . 9SPD . . . Great Interior . . trick lights . . . and a lot of other goodies . . . but the numbers are not overly brilliant at 230kw/350nm - or thereabouts . . . but that's a good start and given I currently get around in a 9spd TTV6 AWD Coupe with 270/520 . . . the new Insignia - AKA Commodore has a fair starting point
    So imagine a Harrop developed 1320 (I think) EATON Charger and there you have a nice tidy quality machine . . .

Google Lotus EVORA - HARROP for a bit of insight . . . its no world beater but when added to a sharp trans and AWD its possibly a nice combo that could run 0-100 in 4.9 - the yardstick for affordable performance these days
    Now let me be clear, this is by no means factual but it certainly adds up given the ability of Harrop to supply some nice OEM stuff - especially recently developed gear for Ford and Lotus plus a few leading US aftermarket groups

Would HSV go down this track? . . . only time will tell . . . and will GM warrant it - well that's an interesting challenge

I'm not sure HSV would go down that track but certainly Walkinshaw would dabble with it if they don't.

The 1320's make over 50% more power and torque on the FA20's in the Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ so they can pack a bit of a punch, not sure it will be big enough on a 3.6L if they run them on 2L's though....Maybe something around 1600cc would be ideal?

HSV have made it clear that they won't be touching the new Commodore. Even if they could do something mildly cool with it, I don't think it would be good look if they went backwards in power from their VF based product

But who knows in the future, maybe they'll work out a was to shoehorn an LSA into it
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

From the wording of all the info I have read re HSV future product it looks like they are considering options other than Holden direct supply vehicles.
    The 'new' Commodores may appeal to some but are not in the same league as VF to me.
    Rear drive sedans are the rare breed now and probably will be close to gone when the next gen of platforms come through for most manufacturers.
    No doubt 2018 will see big changes to HSV business. But with a shortened contract renewal with Holden I can't see them gearing up in a big way to to make this 'new' commodore a cracker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally don't want the new "Commodore" to begin with.
    FWD? Or even in east west config AWD? No thanks.
    I'm sure HSV would be hard pressed to see any long term business case selling 4 or 6 cylinder crap boxes with a body kit and wheels as a performance car.

Surely it can't be too long until they announce a Gm 2 door as their next proper performance vehicle.
    As for a sedan, I can't see Cadillac allowing a relatively small Aussie company to modify their V series vehicles.

At a guess, I'd say RHD conversions are in HSV's near future, until GM either replaces the SS sedan with an Alpha based product, or they start offering factory RHD RWD V8 models.

.. the new Holden coming to replace the VF Commodore (which isn;t really a Commodore by any shakes)
    could not be described in anyway as a 'fine looking car'

It copies a lot of the design elements of the MAzda6 (not a pretty car itself), the wagon version
    has better proportions than the shatch (NOT a misspelling) version a mishmash of sedan and hatch,
    both are far too high and also have weird addons in an attempt to appear different from the rest of the pack...
    plus don't forget Holden are stating the volume selling version will be the 4cylinder FWD version (NOT the all singing
    dancing bells and whistles V6 version)

Opel also need to get it together with their build quality, the current INSIGNIA available out here is pretty rough
    build wise with poor paint and some shocking cabin gaps based on the versions I have seen.. and having driven
    Opels in Germany over the past couple of years, their build quality is probably 10 years behind VF Commodore

so who will buy one?.... current VF owners? nup (not based on the noise from them)
    current Camry or Mazda6 owners? nup (they wouldn't be caught dead in a Holden)
    current KIA Optima buyers.? hahaha no way (my soninlaw has one of these and would never consider a Holden)
    ummm...
    so who will buy one?
    Last edited by Smitty; 02-04-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Taxi drivers? And possibly Police?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

Opel has been sold to Peugot, so will we still get Insignia, & will Holden still get Astra?
    And, what will Holden's "racecar" be?
    Interesting times ahead, Pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Opel has been sold to Peugot, so will we still get Insignia, & will Holden still get Astra?
    And, what will Holden's "racecar" be?
    Interesting times ahead, Pickles.
    maybe 888 should try to get Ludo back if the French owns opel

Think it has been said, the new commodore is by badge only, why holden want to call it a commodore only the pr fools know because any Australian that enjoyed our home grown commodore isn't that big a moron to think for a minute that os made replacement is a commodore. Exciting times ahead I think not, no more holden commodore hsv inspired cages & no more ford fpv inspired cages means I might as well buy a suv. Not than a suv is that bad when our powers that be keep dropping speed limits & our roads are becoming more like car parks you want a cage that can fit a coffee espresso machine inside.

Thread Information