HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

VZ Clubsport Radiator Fan Set Temperatures

I recently purchased an OBD2 reader for the first time and have had a look around at the various engine parameters it can monitor. One aspect I was quite surprised about is the temperature at which the radiator fans cut in.

With the car parked and the air conditioner switched “off” the fans (both large and small), seem to cut in at 108oC ECT and back out at 104oC ECT – a much higher temperature than I thought they would. I understand this would change with the air conditioner enabled (the fan logic looks at AC pressure also).

Do these set points sound correct?

The vehicle is an early VZ Clubsport fitted with an LS2. I have done extensive internet research and these numbers are definitely different to the earlier LS1-engined cars; they do compute with the settings on the Pontiac GTO vehicles GM sent to the United States though.

Are these readings similar to everyone else’s experiences? I initially wondered if I was missing the “Stage 1” (low speed) fan setting and just getting “Stage 2” (high speed). The 108o on/104o off set points are similar to the LS1 “Stage 2” temperatures from what I can understand. If this is the case, I need to go looking for a fault on the low speed fan circuit (relay?).

Look forward to everyone’s thoughts.

Thanks.

Sounds too high to me.
    Like you say, you're likely not getting the low speed kicking in. I'd check the relay first of all, even swap it with one of the others in the box that are the same....Whilst it won't exactly break the motor, anything over 100 will be thinning your oil a fair bit. If mine was running that hot, I'd be throwing the AC on just to force the fans on.

Double post

Its actioning the fans under condition 2, see attached

Double post
    Last edited by dgp; 20-03-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Tripple post, strange happenings with the reply on the forum.
    Last edited by dgp; 20-03-2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling

completely normal, even VE stock is 1st fan 105 and second 109 then off at 99, just looking at VZ ls2 tune file 1st fan is 109 and second fan 113 deg the off at 103, the a/c fan is done using a/c pressure so its totally different control

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies - all very interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    Sounds too high to me.
    Like you say, you're likely not getting the low speed kicking in. I'd check the relay first of all, even swap it with one of the others in the box that are the same....Whilst it won't exactly break the motor, anything over 100 will be thinning your oil a fair bit. If mine was running that hot, I'd be throwing the AC on just to force the fans on.
    I agree - 108 degrees engine temp before the fans even start is too hot for my liking - hence my questions

Quote Originally Posted by dgp View Post
    Its actioning the fans under condition 2, see attached
    Thanks for the information - the temperature set points quoted in those pages are more like I was expecting to see. Where are those pages from - genuine service manual? It's interesting that the wiring diagram shows the three relay setup which I think is the "heavy duty" 430W fan arrangement. Mine definitely only has two relays (one white five pin, one grey four pin) like VY etc so I suspect it only has the "normal" 400W fans fitted. Perhaps this was an update during the model run as my VZ is an early one.

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    completely normal, even VE stock is 1st fan 105 and second 109 then off at 99, just looking at VZ ls2 tune file 1st fan is 109 and second fan 113 deg the off at 103, the a/c fan is done using a/c pressure so its totally different control
    Thanks for that information - I suspected that might be the case but hoped otherwise. My VZ has been tuned but they obviously haven't touched the fan set points as part of the changes which is unfortunate. I don't know why Holden/HSV would use fan set points so high - these temperatures are pretty well equivalent to the V6 models.

Thanks again for the replies - I've searched everywhere for this information.

its all for emissions, one of the first things i changed was the fan temp, fan1 to 94 and fan2 at 103 your tuner should be able to do it easily

archie, yes the info is out of the genuine manual.

I checked the wiring diagrams the third relay, X6 in one of the pics above does not appear in these other images, only X5 & X7 in the fuse block..not sure what is going on with that.

Last edited by dgp; 20-03-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Thread Information