HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

Suspension upgrade.

So, I think the time has come.

After persisting with an annoying rattle that happens only over slight bumps in the road and aching from the seriously rough ride my car has given me, I think it's time I accepted my shocks are stuffed.

So, going to be lining up some replacements soon, and wondering what people think. Going to throw in a whiteline sway bar kit from harrop and replace all bushings while I'm there, but what are people's personal opinions on suspension setups?

As stated above, going to be swapping the whiteline kit in (which I believe includes some decent link pins and bushes, along with slightly thicker sway bars). Thinking of throwing on a strut brace from a vy s2 seeing as they're dirt cheap for the rigidity they provide.

Though I am unsure of what shocks and bushes to get. Been doing a lot of reading and people often recommend koni or bilstein setups, but the strut conversion for them seems pretty damn expensive just to fit the damping cylinder. My question to you is this, are Monroe shocks worthwhile getting at the price of 300-500 a set instead of 1000 odd for a set of bilstein with modification of my strut housing needed, and better yet, has anybody got experience with cheap ebay brand shocks to any degree of success? Also, nolathane or regular bushes? Ride quality doesn't bother me too much, though I don't want to feel every little crack in the road through the steering wheel.

Thanks to everyone who replies.

I'm a big believer in getting what you pay for with shocks. Converting the Koni inserts isn't difficult at all, no welding required like the Bilsteins. You will definitely notice the difference between these and Monroe's and I think you're leaving a lot on the table going for the cheaper shock and doing everything else. If the budget didn't allow, you'd be better off going with the Koni's and not doing the swaybars yet but that's just my opinion

Suspension upgrade.

I've had Koni Bilstein and Monroe in various cars and Koni have always been fantastic. Bilstein were hard to get the valving right and Monroe was crap crap crap and never again

What model do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

I'm running Koni Sports adjustable's with HSV luxury springs so the damping is as stiff or comfortable as I want.
    The only thing that would be nice would be a way to adjust the shocks on the fly similar to MRC.
    But I still think the Koni's are a better shock.

I have been looking at all options for my VX GTS over the past months as it is still running the stock suspension 17 years old and 140XXXkms on it now lol.
    The options i have been looking at:
    - Koni Yellows with king springs, couple of mates had them in their cars similar model and were great - around $1800
    - Bilstien and Lovells - I had bilstiens and eibachs in my VE sportwagon road stock but handled like a monster - Around $2000
    - HSD coilovers but changing the springs to a slightly softer than what they come with to retain ride but still gain good handling. - around $1400

I am going to take a mates VY with the HSD setup im looking at for a drive when in melbs in a few weeks to see what i think as not normally a coil over person but if it rides fine i am open to the possibilities.

Hey Maccas and Test Pilot,

What did you's end up going with?
    I have put the following down below in mine.
    - Monroe GT Gas w/- Reflex Front: Part No. (R.Hand 35-0575) (L.Hand 350576) Rear: Part No. (15-0566)
    - King Springs Super Low Coil Front KHFL-47HD and Rear KHRL-46HD

The ride quality is completely shit. From what I am reading, its either my Monroe GT Shocks or due to running 20" rims on tyres 245/30/R20. Or a combination of both.

I would say a bit of both. There's not a lot of sidewall with 245/30's. They're the right size compared to stock but a lot of people run a 225/35 for a little extra cushioning. I don't like the stretched skinny tyre look personally.

Monroe GT's aren't much chop though, a Koni or Bilstein will improve it substantially. Koni reds aren't hugely expensive

I was going to get 18-19's for extra profile. But I might try going Koni like you mentioned first. When its time to change tyres I will look into 35's.

I also think I made a mistake going for HD springs. I was going off King Springs recommendation for my model... arr. Maybe they will be alright with Koni shocks.

For the Kings HD springs you needed to use Monroe GT Sports not GT Gas.
    The Sports have softer bounce setting than the GT Gas.
    I still have the HSV luxury springs in the front but as the rear sat a little too high for my liking I fitted std Kings lowered springs not the HD version as I wanted a more supple ride.
    Plus I run Koni Sport Yellows F & R.
    I do run 18"x 8"& 9" w 235/40 and 275/35 Michelin Pilot sports4 and ride is perfect.
    For better handling I fitted larger swaybars rather than stiffer springs.
    Last edited by surfwagon; 4 Days Ago at 09:00 PM.

Currently I have just fitted kings SL HD all round with standard shocks, but am saving up now for BC Coilovers which i was put onto by a friend. They produce Pedders, but run a slightly softer spring rate and are really good build quality.
    http://bcracing.com.au/zw-02-rn

Thread Information