HSV Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 Last >>

will standard exhaust cause any damge

Just after a 2nd or even 3rd opinion on if safe on engine, I am having full standard exhaust system put back on my VE SS on Friday, car is tuned with dpe bigby system and 224/228 580 600 110 cam on a safe road tune, to have any chance of passing 5 gas analyser tet and noise test ect the standard system has to go on, GOD DAMM IT!
    Putting on VE HSV Headers and cats +plus ve ss stock catback,

Anway he tuner said its ok, to run current tune with std system, what is it ok in your opinions?

It will be fine. Somewhat strangled but fine to drive.

The bigger question is are you going to be happy with the car like that? I'd imagine not and you'll bolt the big system back on. If you get pulled up, any decent cop will be able to spot the noise a big cat back makes compared to the stock system so if it has "factory exhaust" on the permit, its not worth anything and you'll go thru the whole process again.

Why don't you put the headers and cats on with a quietish cat back? The cat back won't effect the gases coming out the back, that's all in the cats and the right headers getting them hot enough to work. I'm sure I've said many a time that factory cats (or equivalent CPI) will be required to pass

Don't worry, ive tried every way possible to get around the test or easiest solution, which the cat converter has to be in OEM location and OWM Equilivant, the CAM, once permitted wont never be required to do a gas 5 test again, yes I can get pinged but its a great deal easier taking the car over the pits if you already have the permit for the cam, you have two choices leave on the headers and cats the car got the permit with and run a aftermarket catback or put the whole old system back on and just bolt it back on in the event you get pinged..
    For catback , the noise has to be under 90 decibles, the cheapest one I can find is a redback 2.5''which dunno how loud it will be
    Im getting VE HSV Headers and cat converters put on, at this stage a factory catback, but I can run any catback as long as its under 90 decibles.

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    It will be fine. Somewhat strangled but fine to drive.

The bigger question is are you going to be happy with the car like that? I'd imagine not and you'll bolt the big system back on. If you get pulled up, any decent cop will be able to spot the noise a big cat back makes compared to the stock system so if it has "factory exhaust" on the permit, its not worth anything and you'll go thru the whole process again.

Why don't you put the headers and cats on with a quietish cat back? The cat back won't effect the gases coming out the back, that's all in the cats and the right headers getting them hot enough to work. I'm sure I've said many a time that factory cats (or equivalent CPI) will be required to pass
    I need to find a aftermarket catback under 90 decibles, your right no point getting engineered with a factory catback.
    As for the headers, how good for HP are factory VE HSV Headers and cats? Im not going to say what I will do after I get this permit thing done and dusted, to be honest it the thought of having a modded car and the rules , has taken away the fun

Rodders, are you going to put the dpe back on? If not, you can have my walkinshaw catback system and I'd be happy to buy the dpe one from you ��

Try to find an HSV 2.5" GTS centre system, then bolt it up to your factory rear mufflers, and your HSV headers. Everything bolts up nicely and will look like an aftermarket catback, but will be quiet at the same time
    2014 Gen-F GTS

Pacemaker do a short try y that the std cats bolt to, and then can run a aftermarket quiet catback. The thing is, the car has to be gas 5 tested as it will be presented for noise and engineer report, and pit inspection, so as whitelie said complete and utter waste of money if take the car in with factory exhaust setup as on the permit will say factory exhaust system and cam. Cops pull me up and I have a aftermarket catback on and the permit says factory ' its back over the pits for whole process'
    Only way around it is put the pacemaker headers on PH5377 Std cats and a quiet aftermarket catback. Once its all approved then the permit will read aftermarket headers , std cats, aftermarket catback and modified camshaft, brembo hsv brake upgrade, induction, Its all done. Abit more worthwhile Yes this is a pain in the backside but im thinking ahead and in the event of being pulled up, id rather be covered then have 2 weeks to get it all done otherwise they revoke the cars rego

If you have an SS with HSV headers, HSV cats, HSV E3 2.5" centre, and HSV E1 rear mufflers it's definately not a factory exhaust system, as none of those parts came factory on your car. The nice thing about this setup is it's aftermarket, cheap and super quiet
    2014 Gen-F GTS

You know they take photo's of the exhaust (engine bay and under the car on a hoist)? These pictures are supplied in your engineering report..

Having gone through it, i don't believe you'll pass the 5gas with cam and current performance tune.

By keeping cam and placing full OEM exhaust/cats, I'm betting the car will still need to be detuned on the day to pass. Book your tuner out for a couple of hours and take him with you.

My engineering permit lists aftermarket exhaust (not the size or make) and the DB noise of 85 (which was true, OEM extrators, OEM cats and 2.5" no name cat back).
    Last edited by Nath; 13-01-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Click for mods

On the exhaust side of things, how long does the gas test take? Does the gas test shop, write down exact what the exhaust setup is or even ask?
    Do you think a Euro5 cat converter like VF GTS, would be suffice if replaced the current difilipo ones. Id like to get the whole car passed with what is has now but seems only OEN Headers and cats will

Quote Originally Posted by Nath View Post
    You know they take photo's of the exhaust (engine bay and under the car on a hoist)? These pictures are supplied in your engineering report..

Having gone through it, i don't believe you'll pass the 5gas with cam and current performance tune.

By keeping cam and placing full OEM exhaust/cats, I'm betting the car will still need to be detuned on the day to pass. Book your tuner out for a couple of hours and take him with you.

My engineering permit lists aftermarket exhaust (not the size or make) and the DB noise of 85 (which was true, OEM extrators, OEM cats and 2.5" no name cat back).

Thread Information