HSV Forum

Page 3 of 4 First << 1234 Last >>

Thread: Tuners in Perth

Actives or Marks Workshop 👍

So I ended up taking the GTS to MCE, gotta say that the guys did a great job on the tune, more than happy.
    I'll be back for sure.

Good stuff Gary. Nothing worse than being recommended a shop and having dramas with them. MCE have been around a long time now and have a solid rep

Wanted to bumb this thread.

I'm curious to see what else is out there.

In my experience, I had shocking all round service from active automotive. this is one place I do not recommend at all. Happy to elaborate in pm if you want to know more.

I'm now searching for a tuner to correct what should have been corrected.
    Last edited by Domin8or; 17-03-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: incorrect
    03 VY II R8 STING RED
    400RWHP

If 6 of one is half a dozen of the other.. would a pair be a double?

Quote Originally Posted by Domin8or View Post
    Wanted to bumb this thread.

I'm curious to see what else is out there.

In my experience, I had shocking all round service from active automotive. this is one place I do not recommend at all. Happy to elaborate in pm if you want to know more.

I'm now searching for a tuner to correct what should have been corrected.
    Give Shannon a call at Tunecorp , Maddington or Justin at BYE Performance both will fix your tune. I too have been to Actives and wouldn't recommend them, they pump the cars in/out and its all about the money, when actives did there stage 2 package on my VZ Maloo a couple years ago, cam, exhaust, tune, I remember I dropped the ute off at 10am, and the car was sitting in there customer parking at 2pm same day , all done. They lied to me , saying the car wouldn't be ready till the following morning, when I accidentally popped into there shop to get something out of the car the day I dropped it off, it was all done in 4 hours, generic tune, run up on the dyno , the Idle was absolute rubbish, set at 1000rpm, sound stink, car had no balls down low, soon after the cluch went, and the local workshop who put in a new clutch, asked who did the cam, said it drove pretty bad, and they even said actives are properly the last shop you would want tuning your car let alone a cam.

I understand exactly. my tune is rubbish, and yeah idol is at 1000rpm, skinky asf running fairly rich, it was on and off the dyno in less then 10 mins, the original quote was 4500 and walked out paying 6200 for cam and radiator replacement. they had the car on Monday, booked for Tuesday, and to be ready by Wednesday and waiting for my arrival after fly in from work in the AM of Thursday. was not ready until 3pm Thursday afternoon. Tried to sell me a battery, but my battery was fine, hoeever it died on the way home and had to make a call out to battery world for a new battery..?? car was filthy, 2 weeks prior I spent 700 on a full professional detail in and out then garaged and covered while I worked away, so it was clean as a whistle. they even lost paperwork from my car. also got charged for coolant, the next day after it had cooled I checked oils and coolant only to discover my radiator is full of water... water! I checked all round the engine bay, found the radiator not sitting right or bolted in correctly. oil was black? my oil changes are every 4th week I'm home, so its only driven for 4 weeks in every 13 weeks. I know my oil, and it always looks new when draining to the point where my dad bottles my old oil to keep for himself.

if I wanted to pick at everything I could go on. but I think you get the idea. this place is shonky if your not a regular or a mate of theirs. after 14 nights of 12 hour shifts, tired asf when I got back to work then waiting around all day for the car, I just wanted to get the f out of there. paid the bill and left.

LESSON LEARNT!!
    03 VY II R8 STING RED
    400RWHP

I did forget to add... my tune is all top end... I mean... when ever do I drive down the FWY at 200kmph?
    id asked for it all at lower end, red coolant, and a sticker... got none of these
    03 VY II R8 STING RED
    400RWHP

Reading some of the posts, I genuinely feel for you guys that get done over by workshops that see you as just another dollar.

Unfortunately these days it seems most shops want to pump out as many tunes a day they can with their "generic" tunes. The money they charge for what you are actually getting (lack of time invested in properly tuning your car for what you are paying) is a joke these days (let alone the lack of talent/experience).

When you way it up, what you guys get charged for a "generic" tune that is uploaded in 10 minutes is what I use to charge in years gone by to tune a Motec/Autronic ECU that's starts with a totally blank ecu/tune (every load cell, correction tables etc needs to be filled in). No simple copy / paste job. That's really where you get your hard earned money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Domin8or View Post
    I did forget to add... my tune is all top end... I mean... when ever do I drive down the FWY at 200kmph?
    id asked for it all at lower end, red coolant, and a sticker... got none of these
    Active would have locked your ecu. My advice is look at a retune somewhere else. Active will unlock the ecu but flash in a stock file or the shop you take the car to for retune, can send your ecu over east and have it unlocked 3-5 day turnaround.
    Sounds like the cam is too big or the tune is off, your best bet is get a couple opinions from other workshops in perth before you decide what to do/

Ive never done the cheaper option just cause its cheaper. So I don't mind spending the money... quality does pay!
    I had to buy a new ecu from them. paid the 120, but also because buying on I was hopeing to keep mine. but no. they told me its not allowed.??

a retune is what I'm after. even if its another ecu.
    03 VY II R8 STING RED
    400RWHP

Thread Information