HSV Forum

Page 2 of 4 First << 1234 Last >>
    Quote Originally Posted by crackelaktor View Post
    Not sure how water would make it into the tank but the car performs well 99% of the time. The only time it starts to hesitate is a day or two before the fuel pump packs it in.
    an interruption of the electrical current to the fuel pump relay, fuel pump connectors.

Without knowing all the details I would be testing pressure.
    You cant test flow on these because it is a non return system.
    If the regulator has jumped ship, and the pumps are working flat stick all the time they
    will eventually burn out.
    Has anyone checked the fuel pressure after pump replacement???
    That's where I would start if your car came into my shop with your history.
    (obviously it is very probable I'm wrong, but it's hard to fix a car with a keyboard)
    Good luck & let us know what is found.
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

After the next tank clean and parts replacement, do not go near your regular fuel stations. Find other suppliers for the next twelve months and then have the system cleaned again. One load of crud in a service station tank can be a problem for virtually forever. The crud settles but is then stirred up again each time the tanker truck tops them up.
    Had this problem in another country with diesel. Fortunately there was political clout to get the tanks emptied and cleaned.
    If no problems within the twelve month period, pretty good indicator.
    My fuel pump in the WK had to be changed after about eight years heavy use - sender unit was acting up. Pump and sender unit are an 'all-in-one' device.
    Last edited by grange250; 25-10-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS2017 View Post
    an interruption of the electrical current to the fuel pump relay, fuel pump connectors.
    There was a plug that powered the pump which was loose and they removed the plug and hard wired the 2 ends to rule the plug issue out. Didnít seem to help as I lost the pump after that. I am dropping it back tomorrow for an end to end check over.

Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    Without knowing all the details I would be testing pressure.
    You cant test flow on these because it is a non return system.
    If the regulator has jumped ship, and the pumps are working flat stick all the time they
    will eventually burn out.
    Has anyone checked the fuel pressure after pump replacement???
    That's where I would start if your car came into my shop with your history.
    (obviously it is very probable I'm wrong, but it's hard to fix a car with a keyboard)
    Good luck & let us know what is found.
    Thanks. Will ask them to check that too.

Quote Originally Posted by grange250 View Post
    After the next tank clean and parts replacement, do not go near your regular fuel stations. Find other suppliers for the next twelve months and then have the system cleaned again. One load of crud in a service station tank can be a problem for virtually forever. The crud settles but is then stirred up again each time the tanker truck tops them up.
    Had this problem in another country with diesel. Fortunately there was political clout to get the tanks emptied and cleaned.
    If no problems within the twelve month period, pretty good indicator.
    My fuel pump in the WK had to be changed after about eight years heavy use - sender unit was acting up. Pump and sender unit are an 'all-in-one' device.
    Iíve been thinking along the same line as the most recent pump failure suggested metal residue in the tank and a dirty fuel pump sock which was quite dark after only 4 months.

I will try to use a different servo as the last 3 failures in the last 12 months are coincidental with us moving house approx 14 months ago and using the same Caltex station 95% of the time. There is no way for me to prove the fuel is dirty or contaminated but itís worth a try....

Hi Paul, sorry for the delay.

I'm on my 4th pump, I have a BP fuel card thanks to my work, so only use 98 but from various outlets, I requested (hmmm, lets call it that) that an actual mechanic look at the last failure rather than a Technician, after a lot of discussion, they agreed and held the car for another day.

I was told that they then found a connection (plug) hat had corrosion on the pins, they didn't have the old one to show me, and I doubt that was the cause of the issue as if it was a poor connection I would expect intermittent fuel supply problems, mine only gave a day or so warning then failed completely.

But the last failure was in March this year, the cars driven daily (now has 115k's) and the failures were getting closer together with only 4 months between the last two.

Other than that, I have no idea, HSV say that he filter was clean on every failure, the tank has been removed and inspected (twice) with no signs of anything in it (the tank was almost full at the last failure and never lower than a quarter on the rest).

Again, I can't recommend the Swann extended warranty enough, they paid for 2 pumps to be replaced, without a hesitation or drama, and HSV covered the last two as they failed less than a year apart.

Hopefully the issues sorted, but its a constant concern and one that has caused us not to take the baby on extended trips that would take us too far out of the metro (read tilt tray coverage) area.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by 2011vegts View Post
    Hi Paul, sorry for the delay.

I'm on my 4th pump, I have a BP fuel card thanks to my work, so only use 98 but from various outlets, I requested (hmmm, lets call it that) that an actual mechanic look at the last failure rather than a Technician, after a lot of discussion, they agreed and held the car for another day.

I was told that they then found a connection (plug) hat had corrosion on the pins, they didn't have the old one to show me, and I doubt that was the cause of the issue as if it was a poor connection I would expect intermittent fuel supply problems, mine only gave a day or so warning then failed completely.

But the last failure was in March this year, the cars driven daily (now has 115k's) and the failures were getting closer together with only 4 months between the last two.

Other than that, I have no idea, HSV say that he filter was clean on every failure, the tank has been removed and inspected (twice) with no signs of anything in it (the tank was almost full at the last failure and never lower than a quarter on the rest).

Again, I can't recommend the Swann extended warranty enough, they paid for 2 pumps to be replaced, without a hesitation or drama, and HSV covered the last two as they failed less than a year apart.

Hopefully the issues sorted, but its a constant concern and one that has caused us not to take the baby on extended trips that would take us too far out of the metro (read tilt tray coverage) area.

Gary
    Thanks for the reply Gary. My symptoms are very similar to yours. My most recent pump replaced the previous one 4 months after it died. When I drive the car, fuel delivery is fine and the time it starts to play up is a day or two before it dies.

Like you, I only use the best fuel and oils, service the car regularly and drive it every day. I will take all the feedback from the responses so far and create a checklist for my service mechanic to look into and check.

Will update you on how it goes.

Cheers Paul

if ur only replacing the pumps with standard then could be worth swapping to a similar flow but get a good e85 safe one so u know it can handle additives better then stock see if that helps, bp98 has changed over the last couple years

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    if ur only replacing the pumps with standard then could be worth swapping to a similar flow but get a good e85 safe one so u know it can handle additives better then stock see if that helps, bp98 has changed over the last couple years
    Thats what i am thinking to 07GTS. F*** the standard pumps for a Walbro or something similar....What have they got to lose? And get one thats up rated from the stock unit so if they are dying under load the new pump should be able to hand the load ok.

Thread Information