HSV Forum

Page 4 of 4 First << ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by crackelaktor View Post
    Hi 2011vegts,

I picked up my new E3 GTS on 4th July 2011. I still have it and love it but am on my 5th fuel pump (Holden replaced 1 and UltraTune have done 3 for me in the last 12 months). I have 81,000kms on the clock and have had 3 fuel pumps installed since the first one was replaced by Suttons Holden in March 2013 (20,293kms). The other 3 have failed outside of warranty and I have been taking the car to UltraTune for servicing and fuel pump replacements.

04/07/2011 - Picked up brand new GTS E3 (original fuel pump)
    18/03/2013 (20,293kms) - Holden replaced original fuel pump under warranty as car was difficult to start, would crank for a while and then eventually start (2nd fuel pump).
    10/10/2016 (56,723kms) - Car would hesitate randomly under acceleration and was difficult to start. Took to UltraTune and they installed a new fuel pump for $865 (3rd fuel pump)
    07/06/2017 (73,326kms) - 8 months later, car wouldn't start. No fuel pressure. Towed to UltrTune and they replaced the fuel pump at no cost under warranty and claimed it had failed. They sent back to original manufacturer as a warranty claim. (4th fuel pump)
    10/07/2017 (74,597kms) - UltraTune did 75k service on car
    21/10/2017 (81,000kms) - Loss of power and acceleration and eventually would no longer start. Car towed to UltraTune and Fuel pump replaced at reduced cost of $700. Found metal flakes in tank and fuel sock was dirty, but not sure how dirty it could have got in 4 months (5th fuel pump).
    22/10/2017 - the day after, I noticed the car is not starting cleanly as it use to. It will crank over the first time and not start. It will then start on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time straight away.

I have been taking my car to UltraTune for servicing since my 3 years was up with Holden and felt more comfortable with them than the team at Suttons for reasons I won't go into here.

Car has been MAFLESS Tuned at Castle Hill Performance by Dave, and has a VCM OTR, but no other mods. I'm obviously concerned that I will be up for a 6th fuel pump as the root cause of the previous failures has never been identified. They just replaced with new parts. Each time, UltraTune has confirmed pump is getting correct voltage/power.

Any thoughts on what may cause a fuel pump to fail repeatedly? I only put 98 fuel and from Shell or Caltex servos that I regularly visit. Bad fuel??? Maybe??? but I find that hard to believe. What can damage a fuel pump as this is getting out of hand.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Cheers Paul
    Well, at 91,000kms, I have another failed pump. This will be towed back to UltraTune for its 7th fuel pump. Note that the 6th fuel pump went in a few weeks after the 5th fuel pump installed on 21st October 2017. Basically, UltraTune ordered an aftermarket fuel pump, installed it, and whilst the car worked, it was difficult to start. They then ordered a factor pump to replace the working, but difficult to start fuel pump and the car was good to start again.

I'm over this. They are planning to replace the pump tomorrow and rewire the power to a brand new power circuit, bypassing the existing factory circuit. I haven't been filling the car at the same servo since the last failure, so I'm going to rule out bad fuel as the coincidence is way too high. I'm not sure what others think, but if the entire electrical circuit for the fuel pump is replaced or bypassed with a new one, that surely has to fix the issue as I don't see what else could be causing it. Any ideas appreciated.

If anyone wouldn't mind taking a call from me on the issue, please PM me and I'll send you my number. Don't know who else to talk to and just want to fix the car. Thanks Paul

Mate first thing id try is someone other than ultra tune. Get it checked at a good auto elecs or a reputable tuner

Quote Originally Posted by crackelaktor View Post
    Well, at 91,000kms, I have another failed pump. This will be towed back to UltraTune for its 7th fuel pump. Note that the 6th fuel pump went in a few weeks after the 5th fuel pump installed on 21st October 2017. Basically, UltraTune ordered an aftermarket fuel pump, installed it, and whilst the car worked, it was difficult to start. They then ordered a factor pump to replace the working, but difficult to start fuel pump and the car was good to start again.

I'm over this. They are planning to replace the pump tomorrow and rewire the power to a brand new power circuit, bypassing the existing factory circuit. I haven't been filling the car at the same servo since the last failure, so I'm going to rule out bad fuel as the coincidence is way too high. I'm not sure what others think, but if the entire electrical circuit for the fuel pump is replaced or bypassed with a new one, that surely has to fix the issue as I don't see what else could be causing it. Any ideas appreciated.

If anyone wouldn't mind taking a call from me on the issue, please PM me and I'll send you my number. Don't know who else to talk to and just want to fix the car. Thanks Paul
    Quick update.....unconfirmed at this stage, but some potential evidence building to some poor wiring work during my QuickTrak device was installed by Holden when I purchased my GTS. They organised their auto electrician to install a QuickTrak device at time of purchase (July 2011). 1 & 1/2 years later (Jan 2013), I had QuickTrak come out to replace the original module installed due to some issues. My first Fuel pump issue began 2 months later and has been persistent since.

UltraTune have found a poor connection and are currently removing the QuickTrak device as I haven't used it in years, but left it installed just in case I wanted to use it in future. The QuickTrak device is installed in line with the fuel power line so it can cut power if needed to the pump. They will return the line back to normal (as it was at factory) and remove the GPS tracker to see what happens.

Its a theory at the moment, but plausible given the timeline of events, and what was found today. I'll just be happy if it fixes the problem once and for all, as I have my 6th fuel pump still in the car and hope it still works once this wiring work is complete. For now, we will not bypass the factory electric circuit, but if this doesn't work, we'll try a circuit bypass and then see how it goes. Will keep you updated.

Does anyone else with these issues have an engine immobiliser installed or a QuickTrak type of device?

Mate also have a October 2011 GTS with 102K on the clock. 3 fuel pumps to date, with the recent one during December Xmas period! I should have asked for the faulty unit to investigate but I didnt. One the mistakes I have made in the past is to let the tank get below 1/4 full, ie driving with the orange lamp on. I'm not sure if this is my common denominator in that while driving with only a tiny bit of fuel left in the tank, the pump momentarily runs dry perhaps? but goes unnoticed in terms of the engine running. Could this be causing the pump to fail..............who knows.

Wish I could be of help.

Have had the WK at times with virtually negative fuel in the tank. Fuel pump was changed because the tank sensor part failed (all in one). Pump part was still good. I would be looking for something else. I would consider a tank flush to check for crud.

Thread Information