HSV Forum

Page 3 of 4 First << 1234 Last >>
    Update.
    Finally got the baby back, apparently they fitted a "modified" pump, but they couldn't tell me what or how it was modified.
    Also replaced the wiring harness, removed and flushed the tank (thanks for leaving me with 5 litres of fuel, WTF happened to the 40 plus that was in the tank?), flushed fuel line and rail.
    I type this as that is what was told to me, however, when I Finally got the service report (they REALLY didn't want to give it to me) the only thing mentioned was the pump being changed.

Let's see..........

Mate first thing id try is someone other than ultra tune. Get it checked at a good auto elecs or a reputable tuner

Mate also have a October 2011 GTS with 102K on the clock. 3 fuel pumps to date, with the recent one during December Xmas period! I should have asked for the faulty unit to investigate but I didnt. One the mistakes I have made in the past is to let the tank get below 1/4 full, ie driving with the orange lamp on. I'm not sure if this is my common denominator in that while driving with only a tiny bit of fuel left in the tank, the pump momentarily runs dry perhaps? but goes unnoticed in terms of the engine running. Could this be causing the pump to fail..............who knows.

Wish I could be of help.

Have had the WK at times with virtually negative fuel in the tank. Fuel pump was changed because the tank sensor part failed (all in one). Pump part was still good. I would be looking for something else. I would consider a tank flush to check for crud.

Sounds like itís getting too much voltage all the time and burning it out.

If the incorrect fuel pump has been installed the ECU will not know, Eg if the fuel pump normally runs at 40psi and you are making it run at 50psi or 65psi then it will also burn out the pump.

If the car has a boost a pump this should only be a Hobbs switch trigger style, if you have a constant 17v this can also burn out the pump, (it usually doesnít if wired up correctly, as itís normally only voltage boosting the FPCM)

Lastly Iíve never pulled a VE tune to know if itís a variable fuel pressure tune, but if it is then it will be 50psi at idle and 65psi at WOT, if a tuner has d1cked with it and made it a constant 65psi this will impact pump life span.

FPCM May have failed and is commanding Max Fuel pressure at all times.

1. Voltage issue
    2. Wrong fuel pump
    3. Boost a pump installed incorrectly
    4. Tune might be commanding a constant 65psi when it should be variable speed
    5. Failed FPCM

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's Fastest 6.2L 1900 LSA VF GTS with a Stock Bottom End
    9.700 @143.14mph 17/July/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

at this time i would be cracking open the latest pump and having a look inside, if u see it melting, dirty ect it will help with what ever the issues is, is the little inlet at the base of the module working correctly ? what pumps have been used factory or aftermarket ? what are the hoses like after the pump any with a crease in it causing the pump to have less flow so its working harder all the time, is testing the terminals on the failed pumps open circuit or 1-2 ohms like normal ?

Just speed read over the thread both guys having issues are both aftermarket tuned with OTR’s etc etc you both need someone reputable to look at the tune, overlay it with a factory tune and see if the fuel pump is in a constant overdrive state, this could all be tune related.

The overlay with the stock tune will show you immediately what has been changed if anything.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR

I've just downloaded a tune, same car as yours, the commanded fuel pressure is 58psi at all times, throw a fuel pressure gauge on the car (there is a port on the fuel rail) then start the car and see what the gauge does when it primes the pump before starting eg just on the reds and then when the car is running at idle and if possible, give it a couple of stabs of the throttle once warm and see how the fuel pressure responds.

Beyond this have someone look at the tune and see if the tuner has mucked with anything in the tune which is over working the fuel pump.

I'd imagine a low fuel pressure (working the pump too slowly)
    And a high fuel pressure (working the pump too fast)

Could potentially cause issues with the pump.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR

Quote Originally Posted by crackelaktor View Post
    Thanks. Will definitely check the fuel pressure once the new pump goes in. From speaking with 2 different tuners, they both confirmed the VE series could not be tampered with from a fuel pump and tune perspective. Apparently this is only possible in the Gen-F’s. Will definitely check the fuel pressure.

Thanks for the reply.
    You can 100% adjust the commanded fuel pressure in the tune so I don’t know what they are smoking.
    Whilst they may not adjust it themselves it certainly is adjustable in the tune.

2014 HSV VF GTS
    2017 HSV GTSR

Use a zL1 fuel pump to replace the original. Vcm in ferntreegully have the mods needed if early 2010. I did 2 pumps found this info out never looked back ..

Thread Information