HSV Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last >>

Ve fuel pump failing

Hi all,

Just had another fuel pump shit itself on the GTS, this makes 3 in 2 years, has anyone else has issues?
    All three have been HSV supplied and fitted.

if u can have a look at the old pumps even split them open and see if they are full of dirt or melted ect it may give u an idea of what's going on, dosnt take long to kill a pump with dirt, what does the filter inside the module look like that surrounds the pump is it white or grey looking

It was changed out under warranty, I asked to get the old unit but they said it needed to go back in order to claim the warranty.
    The tank was completely removed and flushed but they said there was no evidence of anything in the system

On my 5th fuel pump (3 in the last 12 months)

Quote Originally Posted by 2011vegts View Post
    Hi all,

Just had another fuel pump shit itself on the GTS, this makes 3 in 2 years, has anyone else has issues?
    All three have been HSV supplied and fitted.
    Hi 2011vegts,

I picked up my new E3 GTS on 4th July 2011. I still have it and love it but am on my 5th fuel pump (Holden replaced 1 and UltraTune have done 3 for me in the last 12 months). I have 81,000kms on the clock and have had 3 fuel pumps installed since the first one was replaced by Suttons Holden in March 2013 (20,293kms). The other 3 have failed outside of warranty and I have been taking the car to UltraTune for servicing and fuel pump replacements.

04/07/2011 - Picked up brand new GTS E3 (original fuel pump)
    18/03/2013 (20,293kms) - Holden replaced original fuel pump under warranty as car was difficult to start, would crank for a while and then eventually start (2nd fuel pump).
    10/10/2016 (56,723kms) - Car would hesitate randomly under acceleration and was difficult to start. Took to UltraTune and they installed a new fuel pump for $865 (3rd fuel pump)
    07/06/2017 (73,326kms) - 8 months later, car wouldn't start. No fuel pressure. Towed to UltrTune and they replaced the fuel pump at no cost under warranty and claimed it had failed. They sent back to original manufacturer as a warranty claim. (4th fuel pump)
    10/07/2017 (74,597kms) - UltraTune did 75k service on car
    21/10/2017 (81,000kms) - Loss of power and acceleration and eventually would no longer start. Car towed to UltraTune and Fuel pump replaced at reduced cost of $700. Found metal flakes in tank and fuel sock was dirty, but not sure how dirty it could have got in 4 months (5th fuel pump).
    22/10/2017 - the day after, I noticed the car is not starting cleanly as it use to. It will crank over the first time and not start. It will then start on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time straight away.

I have been taking my car to UltraTune for servicing since my 3 years was up with Holden and felt more comfortable with them than the team at Suttons for reasons I won't go into here.

Car has been MAFLESS Tuned at Castle Hill Performance by Dave, and has a VCM OTR, but no other mods. I'm obviously concerned that I will be up for a 6th fuel pump as the root cause of the previous failures has never been identified. They just replaced with new parts. Each time, UltraTune has confirmed pump is getting correct voltage/power.

Any thoughts on what may cause a fuel pump to fail repeatedly? I only put 98 fuel and from Shell or Caltex servos that I regularly visit. Bad fuel??? Maybe??? but I find that hard to believe. What can damage a fuel pump as this is getting out of hand.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Cheers Paul

very odd for pump to fail at that rate, id be looking at other causes like poor fuel or not filtered ect, if yours dosnt have a hole under the seat to get the the pump assembly id cut one out ( can purchase hole cover from holden) then run fuel down to empty and then remove pump assembly and get all fuel out of tank and have a look at it and also what the inside tank looks like, also look at strainer on pump and also the filter that the pump goes into (surrounds the pump) see if that is white or going black that will let u know whats going thru the pump, if the pump isnt filtered before inlet it can seize in seconds from grit in the fuel, also if u have any old failed pumps cut one open and see whats inside if its full of grit or melted can tell u whats going on

Hi 07GTS,

Thanks for the reply. The last fuel pump (just replaced 3 days ago) had a lot of black/grey around the sock and the tank was cleaned out as part of the replacement. UltraTune think it may have been the cause of the last pump failure but I don't know how bad this would get within 4 months since the last pump was replaced.

Am also concerned the car now cranks and doesn't start on the first key turn attempt. It then starts fine on the second attempt. Wandering what the hell is going on and will be taking it back to the workshop as the guys are very supportive and friendly, but it is painful to be without the car.

Did you change the fuel filter after having the pumps replaced? If so, did they also clean the injectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Clubby View Post
    Did you change the fuel filter after having the pumps replaced? If so, did they also clean the injectors?
    WATER - What are the symptoms of water in the gas tank? A good indicator is a sudden change in the performance of your vehicle. You try to accelerate and the car hesitates or sputters consistently.* You try to get up to highway speeds and the car just doesn’t want to cooperate.* Or maybe the vehicle sputters and then revs and jolts to higher speeds when it shouldn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Clubby View Post
    Nope. I doubt it. Will ask the workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS2017 View Post
    WATER - What are the symptoms of water in the gas tank? A good indicator is a sudden change in the performance of your vehicle. You try to accelerate and the car hesitates or sputters consistently.* You try to get up to highway speeds and the car just doesn’t want to cooperate.* Or maybe the vehicle sputters and then revs and jolts to higher speeds when it shouldn’t.
    Not sure how water would make it into the tank but the car performs well 99% of the time. The only time it starts to hesitate is a day or two before the fuel pump packs it in.

Thread Information