HSV Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last >>

Ve fuel pump failing

Hi all,

Just had another fuel pump shit itself on the GTS, this makes 3 in 2 years, has anyone else has issues?
    All three have been HSV supplied and fitted.

if u can have a look at the old pumps even split them open and see if they are full of dirt or melted ect it may give u an idea of what's going on, dosnt take long to kill a pump with dirt, what does the filter inside the module look like that surrounds the pump is it white or grey looking

It was changed out under warranty, I asked to get the old unit but they said it needed to go back in order to claim the warranty.
    The tank was completely removed and flushed but they said there was no evidence of anything in the system

very odd for pump to fail at that rate, id be looking at other causes like poor fuel or not filtered ect, if yours dosnt have a hole under the seat to get the the pump assembly id cut one out ( can purchase hole cover from holden) then run fuel down to empty and then remove pump assembly and get all fuel out of tank and have a look at it and also what the inside tank looks like, also look at strainer on pump and also the filter that the pump goes into (surrounds the pump) see if that is white or going black that will let u know whats going thru the pump, if the pump isnt filtered before inlet it can seize in seconds from grit in the fuel, also if u have any old failed pumps cut one open and see whats inside if its full of grit or melted can tell u whats going on

Did you change the fuel filter after having the pumps replaced? If so, did they also clean the injectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Clubby View Post
    Did you change the fuel filter after having the pumps replaced? If so, did they also clean the injectors?
    WATER - What are the symptoms of water in the gas tank? A good indicator is a sudden change in the performance of your vehicle. You try to accelerate and the car hesitates or sputters consistently.* You try to get up to highway speeds and the car just doesn’t want to cooperate.* Or maybe the vehicle sputters and then revs and jolts to higher speeds when it shouldn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by crackelaktor View Post
    Not sure how water would make it into the tank but the car performs well 99% of the time. The only time it starts to hesitate is a day or two before the fuel pump packs it in.
    an interruption of the electrical current to the fuel pump relay, fuel pump connectors.

Without knowing all the details I would be testing pressure.
    You cant test flow on these because it is a non return system.
    If the regulator has jumped ship, and the pumps are working flat stick all the time they
    will eventually burn out.
    Has anyone checked the fuel pressure after pump replacement???
    That's where I would start if your car came into my shop with your history.
    (obviously it is very probable I'm wrong, but it's hard to fix a car with a keyboard)
    Good luck & let us know what is found.
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

After the next tank clean and parts replacement, do not go near your regular fuel stations. Find other suppliers for the next twelve months and then have the system cleaned again. One load of crud in a service station tank can be a problem for virtually forever. The crud settles but is then stirred up again each time the tanker truck tops them up.
    Had this problem in another country with diesel. Fortunately there was political clout to get the tanks emptied and cleaned.
    If no problems within the twelve month period, pretty good indicator.
    My fuel pump in the WK had to be changed after about eight years heavy use - sender unit was acting up. Pump and sender unit are an 'all-in-one' device.
    Last edited by grange250; 25-10-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Hi Paul, sorry for the delay.

I'm on my 4th pump, I have a BP fuel card thanks to my work, so only use 98 but from various outlets, I requested (hmmm, lets call it that) that an actual mechanic look at the last failure rather than a Technician, after a lot of discussion, they agreed and held the car for another day.

I was told that they then found a connection (plug) hat had corrosion on the pins, they didn't have the old one to show me, and I doubt that was the cause of the issue as if it was a poor connection I would expect intermittent fuel supply problems, mine only gave a day or so warning then failed completely.

But the last failure was in March this year, the cars driven daily (now has 115k's) and the failures were getting closer together with only 4 months between the last two.

Other than that, I have no idea, HSV say that he filter was clean on every failure, the tank has been removed and inspected (twice) with no signs of anything in it (the tank was almost full at the last failure and never lower than a quarter on the rest).

Again, I can't recommend the Swann extended warranty enough, they paid for 2 pumps to be replaced, without a hesitation or drama, and HSV covered the last two as they failed less than a year apart.

Hopefully the issues sorted, but its a constant concern and one that has caused us not to take the baby on extended trips that would take us too far out of the metro (read tilt tray coverage) area.

Gary

Thread Information