HSV Forum

Driveline shunt on VX Clubby. How much is normal

Hi All,

Loving my new clubby, apart from the aircon! I've never had a manual V8 before. I've had a few other RWDs but only autos. I've read a lot of reviews of manual falcons and commodores that mention driveline shunt but I don't know how much is normal. I seem to have a fair bit.

I drive a fair bit in traffic jams and slow speed stuff is where I feel it the most. If I am rolling along off throttle in 1st or second and slow down to the point where I need to put the clutch in I hear and feel a decent thump from the rear. Same with when I'm changing up or down the lower gears when I'm just cruising around.

Is this anything to worry about or are they all like that? I have a decent warranty with the dealer I bought it from. They changed the clutch master without any fuss so I can get them to look at it if that's not normal.

Cheers

Might just be play/back lash in the diff. But have a good look at the donuts on the driveshaft (one at each end) and the centre bearing as well while you're there. Its common for the donuts to flog out/crack around the bolts

As white_lie said id check the driveshaft and centre bearing. I had a 2001 VX SS manual that was supercharged and i never had much if any play like you are describing, in saying that i did replace 3 diffs, 2 x drive shafts and 3 sets of axels but that was all breakages on the race track. The manuals are pretty bullet proof all i had was a quick shifter (gm motorsport) and twin plate extreme clutch never had a drama in the 7 years i had it supercharged.
    # 065 Senator signature E2

I've spent a fortune on booze, birds and fast cars the rest i've just squandered.

What you describe I've noticed from the very first day. When I picked up my manual GTS, it has been a few years since I last drove a manual. I asked the dealer and they said it's because of the large diff.

A couple of months ago a mate bought a redline and complained of exactly the same thing.

So my reply is, it seems to be normal behavior, but how much you get is difficult to judge without driving your car. I got use to using the clutch when this happens.

Thanks for your replies gents. I'll have a look at a few things like the driveshaft and see if there's anything obvious. For peace of mind I want to get the difference and trans fluid changed next service so I'll get them to investigate further if it's bothering me.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Difference haha 😂. Frikkin auto correct.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I think its pretty normal. My VZ M6 is fairly clunky at low speed. Both gearbox and diff. You learn to use your clutch to suit.

Thread Information