HSV Forum

Page 2 of 3 First << 123 Last >>
    Yeah speaking to different places around the traps its either go old school or sure i can build a bullet proof one for X amount. One place said no worrys but it will have to come out every 12 months for a freshen up which is not what i would call bullet proof. Im mechanically minded but not upto speed at all with the programming side of things. At the end of the day i was told by my original tuner/installer the auto would be fine (wrong it slips and flares) I am a retired veteran on a dva pension. I didnt budget for a auto rebuild so now when i do go forward i want something that is going to last more than 12 months as trust me a TPI pension does not pay that well.
    # 065 Senator signature E2

I've spent a fortune on booze, birds and fast cars the rest i've just squandered.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca77 View Post
    Im looking to upgrade my 6 speed auto to handle the 800 hp the motor is now poking out. Does anyone have any recommendations or bad experiences on who to avoid etc. Its a 2009 E2 6 speed gets a bit confused with the shifting etc and slips a bit. Thanks in advance.
    You say the car is your every day driver, and you have 800hp so how often do you use 800 hp on your every day driven street car?

every day ?
    # 065 Senator signature E2

I've spent a fortune on booze, birds and fast cars the rest i've just squandered.

I have replied previously and currently have a 6L90E fitted to my VE with no issues at 550RWHP.

Speaking to my Tech the other day he mentioned the earlier Corvettes with the 6L80E`s seem more reliable. When he tunes the 6L80E in VE`s he prefers to fit the Corvette pressed tin Sump and filter as it holds more fluid and the filter the is larger and flows more fluid. This larger filter is the same Part number as the filter in the 6L90E`s.
    The pressed tin sump takes up less room than after market sumps.

A previous unsuccessful built 6L80E Trans I had did not have this Mod but had ported Pump to increase flow. I was not aware at the time that the Corvette one was different to the VE Sump and filter.

Anyway, whether it`s a 6L80E or 6L90E these guys seem to be on the money as far as tuning goes.

http://6l80etuning.com/

It costs $99.99US to join and view their Site.
    The Method of tuning the 6L80E and 8L90E is different to tuning the 4L80E etc and is based around Torque calculation, initially.

These guys offer services and can provide tunes from your descriptions or if you have VCM sweet you can set certain parameters on your Data Logger record a Log, send it to them for them and they can fault find the Log and provide a tune.

OR, just follow the instructions in the described order, Test driving until one is happy with the result. A lot of test driving is required as some minor events only occur under certain circumstances.

I believe mine is tuned in Drive and Sport is automatically enhanced through the software of the TCM and the vehicle must be test driven in both modes.

It is believed the manual shifting will always have a delay as the TCM converts signals to fluid transfer and trying to Speed up these times can result, sometimes, in two gears engaged at once!!!.

This is probably the 6L80E and 6L90E`s down fall so, if you want an auto and shift it manually, fit a T400.

When viewing this http://6l80etuning.com/ Forums you can see who from Australia is asking Questions. This could help in identifying Workshops which are accessing this information and one of those shops could be a good start when deciding on who to work on your car.

If other people have been tuning the Trans. It is always best to start with a fresh Trans Tune.
    When went to http://6l80etuning.com/ and dropped in a Cadillac CST tune as recommended by them as the Cadillac has an LSA engine and the vehicle is heavier than the VE.

I am no expert but we have only started to have success after visiting this http://6l80etuning.com/ tuning Forum.

I hope this info helps someone... I am not associated with any business. I just don't want people to have the same problems I have had in the past.

I believe there is nothing wrong with these Transmissions but if they are not tuned correctly they will not last as long. It is a hell of a lot easier to get the Tune wrong as it is to get it right and that is a massive understatement.

I also feel sorry for Transmission builders who have other people damage their work from incorrect tuning and then they have to fix them on Warrantee. Some builders wont touch them or have specific tuners but sometimes that is impossible because the Engine Tuner has locked the Tune.

give luke at hasty auto trans call he's the god of auto transmissions.0417 739 347

he's an awesome guy and been around for years. built pleanty of tuff/burnout cars too

Quote Originally Posted by ed.harris View Post

I also feel sorry for Transmission builders who have other people damage their work from incorrect tuning and then they have to fix them on Warrantee. Some builders wont touch them or have specific tuners but sometimes that is impossible because the Engine Tuner has locked the Tune.
    Feel sorry for the tuners who get the blame for sloppy transmission builds too !!

Spent a year trolling the 6l80e tuning forum , often asking obvious answers to simple questions like "can you explain what X does" ( and no I didn't identify myself ) . Main aim was to find out if this "******" guy knew as much as he often chose to not let on!
    The typical answer ( and generally "no answer" when a complex question was asked !) always went along the same way ,an offer of their services! ...."send me the tune & I can send you a file back for $"

Or it was "flash a stock file in , add 30% to your lambda torque table and see what it does "
    Plenty of good info on that site to clear up a lot of misconceptions however , and some knowledgeable guys who also go through the same "tuner" struggle as we all do down here - lack of info !

Unfortunately there is no official guide ( i'm still looking ! ) explaining the intricacies of how the calibration numbers we see within the TCM calibration interact with the algorithms and strategies used to control the timings in the apply and release of the internal clutch packs ..there are a few who have put in the hours and though trial and error managed to get an understanding of how the mechanical operation interacts with what the TCM is trying to achieve - and sadly there is very little leeway , move outside any of these boundaries and you run an exponential risk of making a mess of things.
    There is no "magical guru" out there tuning these boxes however there are definitely a lot of DO's and DON'Ts.
    Add big power , some aftermarket components , some "she'll be right" clearances on clutch packs, you know, the type that " worked grouse on a powerglide" , some high friction clutch discs that make the TCM think a gear has already engaged ( when in fact it hasn't) and of course it just becomes a matter of time before the finger pointing starts.

Std internally untouched post 2009 6l80 can be tuned to handle 400+ rwkw with ease , I can vouch to several cars in the 450's still hanging on fine......2006-2008 are usually the boxes which suffer ( with superchargers , big stall converters etc ) although I believe this is more an issue with the early engine & trans operating systems.
    VF 6l80's seem to have a better calibration , can't say 100% whether or not any valving or clutch material has been changed internally however they seem to handle this power no probs .
    VF GTS 6l90's are killer and have a lot of good stuff inside them already , factory calibration also has parameters to handle any extra power and as can be seen in the many fullboost vids of GTS's running 10s passes , work pretty well.

[QUOTE=LSTNR;174873]Feel sorry for the tuners who get the blame for sloppy transmission builds too !!

Spent a year trolling the 6l80e tuning forum , often asking obvious answers to simple questions like "can you explain what X does" ( and no I didn't identify myself ) . Main aim was to find out if this "******" guy knew as much as he often chose to not let on!
    The typical answer ( and generally "no answer" when a complex question was asked !) always went along the same way ,an offer of their services! ...."send me the tune & I can send you a file back for $"

Or it was "flash a stock file in , add 30% to your lambda torque table and see what it does "
    Plenty of good info on that site to clear up a lot of misconceptions however , and some knowledgeable guys who also go through the same "tuner" struggle as we all do down here

Thanks for the response. The aim here is to help others avoid costly mistakes.
    Rebuilding Auto`s, I Prefer to install Brand new Boxes as even you have a slightly damaged box when you have one rebuilt there is no Guarantee you are getting your looked after internals back. Unless you know the builder well.
    Not too keen on some after market parts either.

I paid 6L80E Tuning for the Cadillac CTS tune and other advise after the 6L90E was linked to the VE. No issues with the box so far. We have been slowly adjusting the tune on the Box for the last 18 months.
    What has made it easier is we started with a Brand new Box so the physical Parameters are a known quantity. Once you have after market components or there is wear, Written description and interpretation can be flawed. Reading a data log of the correct Parameters and comparing the tune may be the most efficient way to solve a tuning issue. Assuming there is no mechanical issue.

VF 6L80E do have an updated tunes can find out if they have the Higher flowing filter and Larger capacity sump like the 6L80E Corvettes.

Old post but has been really valuable to get 1st hand experience from members and enabling me to make an informed decision. Thanks.

After reading this post and talking to many people and workshops on what's the best path/option to take to replace my failing 6L80e (slipping over 4000 revs), I've decided to follow Ed Harris with his 6L90e option for my E3 GTS WP230/LS9 cam. Ed and Cam, his tuner, has been great providing me information. Pity they're both in WA

I've heard and read too many negatives with 6L80e's! The 6L90e isn't a straight swap but from the information I've gathered, there seem to be more positives than negatives going down the 6L90e route for blown application in an A6. I'm also informed that it's all in the tune and I think I've got that sorted with Gerry, an ex-HSV Tech/Calibration sorting the tune out for me. The only delay at the moment is waiting on a new 6L90e (Holden is out of stock with no ETA as yet) so maybe a few more weeks away.

Currently, the GTS is at 418.5rwkw so while were waiting on the 6L90e, it will be getting one of Kirk's Forced Induction Interchiller installed end of next week and maybe a new Edelbrock supercharger lid (looks a better design) if we can make it fit under the bonnet with the lid being taller than the flat WP230 lid. It already has the FI blower spacer which raised the engine height by 10mm so to ensure everything fitted under the bonnet, 10mm K-Frame spacers were fitted to lower the engine height.

Any information or experience from members would be greatly appreciated.

AJR HSV E3 GTS
    "Driven Not Hidden"

How much will Holden slug you for a box? Surely it's cheaper from other sources? Holmart if they can get them, or here

http://www.pmparts.com.au/surpluspar...e-transmission

[QUOTE=white_lie;185423]How much will Holden slug you for a box? Surely it's cheaper from other sources? Holmart if they can get them, or here

[url]http://www.pmparts.com.au/surplusparts/index.php/driveline

Hi white_lie,

Other sources have non in stock. Checked Holmart and Preston Motors, apparently it's Holden themselves that's out of stock. Where I've ordered it from I've been able to get it a lot cheaper than the price quoted on the PM website.

AJR HSV E3 GTS
    "Driven Not Hidden"

Thread Information