HSV Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 Last >>

Best auto builder for 6 speed series 2 ve 800hp+

Im looking to upgrade my 6 speed auto to handle the 800 hp the motor is now poking out. Does anyone have any recommendations or bad experiences on who to avoid etc. Its a 2009 E2 6 speed gets a bit confused with the shifting etc and slips a bit. Thanks in advance.
    # 065 Senator signature E2

I've spent a fortune on booze, birds and fast cars the rest i've just squandered.

I might be a little biased , give APS a buzz and have a chat with the guys.
    You won't regret it

hasty auto trans, luke is the auto god.would not go anywhere else for an auto.

Hasty Auto Trans
    Address: 57-63 Eucumbene Dr, Ravenhall VIC 3023
    Phone: 0417 739 347

There is no cheap way to build these gearboxes to 800hp mate and really it depends on how you will drive it (1/4 mile?)
    To my knowledge no builder will warranty a built 6L80e. if you find one take a lawyer and sign up. lol.
    A built 4L80e (with paddles) would be the safer option and there are some good shops doing these.

Yeah theres no cheap way to build anything if you want it to last unfortunately, Ive found RVO Autos in Dandenong South build a 6l80e with 24 months australia wide warranty for $7K which will handle more than what im throwing out.They have one in their stroked turbo GTS for you to test drive which is making 1000hp. But im still exploring my options i already have paddles fitted and would much prefer the 6 speed be retained as this is my every day driver.

I've spent a fortune on booze, birds and fast cars the rest i've just squandered.

Haven't heard anything good about RVO in the last 5+ years....proceed with caution is all I'll say.

I'd go with Craigs personally. Or even have a chat with Al's race glides. They build very tough 2/3 speeds, should be able to sort you out or point you in the right direction for the 6 cogger.

Cheers yeah even my tuner said RVO can be hit and miss if i was after a 4 speed no worrys but 6 speed....Just had a chat to APS frankston waiting on a quote. Ill have a chat to Craigs as well cheers. Or maybe just month ball it for a few years till someone builds something reliable lol.

Keep the 6L80E for parts.
    Install a Brand new 6L90E from VF GTS (about $6K).
    You will need 1 VF GTS Auto Gearbox mount. ($200.00).
    Shorten Tail Shaft as Body of 6L90E is longer due to more clutches (The gearbox will hang down lower like the VF GTS Auto`s do).
    Use the 6L90E Torque converter. It has different characteristics. Avoid Hi-Stall converters.
    You will also need a Technician with GM access to Link VF GTS gearbox to the VE Car.
    Get online Cadillac CTS Trans Tune.
    Start by adjusting Torque calculation.
    There is a site in the US you can join for a fee and they can give you instructions or send you a file which will be close and adjust from there.
    Cant remember the site off hand I`ll look it up when I get home.
    I`ve had a 6L90E in my VE for about 18 months.

Cheers this would be a handy alternative as it seems around 9K to 12K to build and fit a 6L80E but most are struggling with the programming of the auto which if not done correctly will destroy the built 6L80E box regardless. looks like plenty of the newer boxes around running 10s.

Quote Originally Posted by ed.harris View Post
    Keep the 6L80E for parts.
    Install a Brand new 6L90E from VF GTS (about $6K).
    You will need 1 VF GTS Auto Gearbox mount. ($200.00).
    Shorten Tail Shaft as Body of 6L90E is longer due to more clutches (The gearbox will hang down lower like the VF GTS Auto`s do).
    Use the 6L90E Torque converter. It has different characteristics. Avoid Hi-Stall converters.
    You will also need a Technician with GM access to Link VF GTS gearbox to the VE Car.
    Get online Cadillac CTS Trans Tune.
    Start by adjusting Torque calculation.
    There is a site in the US you can join for a fee and they can give you instructions or send you a file which will be close and adjust from there.
    Cant remember the site off hand I`ll look it up when I get home.
    I`ve had a 6L90E in my VE for about 18 months.
    Pretty good advise at this time I reckon ed.harris.
    I should have gone that way 2 years ago. To date I`ve spent $16,000 with 3 rebuilds with all the good gear available. (I really wanted this to work so persevered). It appears to me that maybe the 4th gear clutch pack is one of the weakest design fault? Some may think different but that`s my finding to date after 5 strip down and checks.
    No matter what you put in these 6L80e`s, ultimately the tune is the ball breaker regardless. There are a few tuners on to it, or getting there, (R+D at their customers expense!).
    Basically for 1000 HP+ IMO, maybe 3 stronger alternatives depending whether street or strip and street or what ever?
    1. Try a VF GTS 6l90e????
    2. Go to a built 4L80e (has overdrive and can still have paddles)
    3. Go to a built TH400. can be bullet proof depending an $$$$ spent. (3 speed no overdrive).

Thread Information