HSV Forum

Page 2 of 2 First << 12
    pir4te Guest
    My oil temp hardly peaks over 100C, typically 90. Ethanol fuel (combustion) in my car produces about 20x the water content of petrol, so where is all the water going? Well sometimes it literally pours out the back, other times a condensation trail that fogs up the rear vision, but mostly it is invisible water vapour disguised as atmosphere.
    A tiny fraction also ends up in the crank from blow by which, just like everywhere in our atmosphere, water vapour is invisible but in a constant flux of evaporation and condensation at typical atmospheric temp and pressure. ie you don't need to reach boiling point for evaporation to occur, water evaporates and condensates at all operating temps.
    First, you don't want the phase change to actual steam (which has undesirable physical qualities) messing around anywhere in your engine or lubrication system.
    You do not need all the water vapour to evaporate from your oil every run cycle. You do however need the lubrication fluid and its constituents to be able to do its job with varying levels of water in suspension without adverse reaction.
    The only way to remove evaporated water vapour is condensation via the PCV. The air oil separation circuit does not carry nor keep water vapour as steam (100C+). In this regard it removes water vapour.
    Secondly, those oil temps quoted 110-130 runtime peaks are unbelievably high, exactly 30% higher than the optimal scope of 82-99.

if you track your car & your oil temp hovers between 82 & 99 degrees your not trying hard enough...
    I cant get my head around such a low oil temp.
    And I cant get my head around "water" in the oil in an modern engine.
    I'm not knocking what you have written above, but I dont think its 100% accurate
    for what we are discussing.
    I'm no expert so can only comment on my own personal experience. So for that reason
    I reckon your oil temp gauge is not very accurate.....
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

pir4te Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    if you track your car & your oil temp hovers between 82 & 99 degrees your not trying hard enough...
    I cant get my head around such a low oil temp.
    And I cant get my head around "water" in the oil in an modern engine.
    I'm not knocking what you have written above, but I dont think its 100% accurate
    for what we are discussing.
    I'm no expert so can only comment on my own personal experience. So for that reason
    I reckon your oil temp gauge is not very accurate.....
    Yes the oil temp in our cars is not measured per s, it is calculated, digital PID.
    So is exactly the same criteria e38/e67.
    The main reason engine oil temps always stay within spec is not because low output / low load - quite the opposite. Its from greater thermal efficiency by using flex fuel with high compression, no burden of heat / friction per supercharger and its paraphernalia, custom chamber, an oil accumulator that gives and extra three litres, tuned induction and exhaust.
    Not trying to be a smart arse, just saying thats what I run, what happens and why.

Would love to get for example: - your car, my car, GenF GTS etc side by side on the track under identicle
    conditions doing the exact same laps & compare things like oil temp, water temp etc over
    say 50 laps taking readings every 5 laps.......would be interesting...
    Be fun also watching you trying to keep up .........
    GTSR HERON WHITE MANUAL build # 0068
    VK HDT Calais Director Build # 2107
    2010 VE SSV SPECIAL EDITION

pir4te Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TPKW30 View Post
    Would love to get for example: - your car, my car, GenF GTS etc side by side on the track under identicle
    conditions doing the exact same laps & compare things like oil temp, water temp etc over
    say 50 laps taking readings every 5 laps.......would be interesting...
    Be fun also watching you trying to keep up .........
    Haha whoever is in front / keeps up, more important is who finishes chilled, relaxed, opens booty of chilled crudite from freezer, paired wines cracked from the VinTherm. Dual batteries, pro sound, popup Pirate.

For every 2.8L of petrol you burn you produce 360mil of water

the condensation will come out the breathers and go back into the intake, mine from cold start to operating temp will fill a catch can with water so i had to put a drain into it, it is a little worse on E85 then petrol
    Last edited by 07GTS; 10-12-2016 at 02:58 PM.

I know this is about oil temp but,,,,, my temp was 107 now with some fresh oil 105! penrite enviro+ GF 5W30
    what is the GF etc about know idea but it says on the container GMH and HSV Dextron? approved will not void
    warranty.
    Off thread BUT an old chap that does not charge too much in Darwin did a quick oil change, mentioned getting a much better oil filter and good oil, not what Holden use, then billed me $207 after waste and gst fees, and about 7 plus litres of oil
    so I did a quick HSV service centre check, well
    can't sell me the Mobile 1 or the other stuff that I should not use, but they do! I must buy it from them via a service, okay
    $220 fixed price includes and oil change (the cheaper oil) so,,,, how much is JUST and oil change with filter
    $295 for the cheap oil or be seated for the next line,
    $395 for just an oil change using mobile 1 now Darwin hour rate is $176 time to lift a car up grab the filter and washer (maybe)
    the oil should be from a pump via hose like an air gun, you just dial 7l (7.6l full, Australian LSA) to start with. Say 30 minutes to start the engine and do two more checks, so is Mobile 1 $30 a litre of cause not, might be time to buy some stands and small angled car ramps two oil changes would pay for it. In saying that the auto technique VCM workshop in Melbourne did a quick oil change for about $110 when I was getting a tune! and that was Mobile 1. cheers I now have oil that looks like honey again. (8,000km with a lot of short trips does bad things to oil)
    Last edited by Andrew_02; 10-12-2016 at 04:41 PM.

pir4te Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_02 View Post
    I know this is about oil temp but,,,,, my temp was 107 now with some fresh oil 105! penrite enviro+ GF 5W30
    what is the GF etc about know idea but it says on the container GMH and HSV Dextron? approved will not void warranty.
    Bingo, same family as I use (Penrite Enviro+) but 5w40. There's quite a bit to the latest GF5 and upcoming GF6 classifications, absolutely mind blowing what is happening. PCMO ILSAC GF-5 / API SN (Resource Conserving) classification, most motor oils were not specifically designed to handle E85 fuels. So in addition to better fuel economy and emissions GF-5 spec also addresses improved rust protection and emulsion retention with ethanol enhanced fuels. Particularly high ethanol blends like e85.
    Since alcohol fuels tend to attract and hold water, motor oils meeting GF-5 are formulated to prevent phase separation (free water) of the crankcase oil due to fuel dilution.
    The technology developed for GF-5 engine oils was designed to prevent both premature and catastrophic engine failure by keeping oil, ethanol, and water in one phase.
    However the GF-5 spec applies to one class - 5w30, but Penrite make Enviro+ with same qualities and benefits in 5w40 also. Worth a look, is like 10 Tenths without the Sulphur, $50 for five litres at Repco!

Thread Information