Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSapper View Post
    Need to factor in -
    OTR - $500
    Exhaust - $2500
    Tune - $800
    Clutch - $1200
    S/C - $13,000

Might throw out your fuel estimate....
    This was my favourite reply! Made me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by zRoYz View Post
    To be honest it is near impossible to accurately estimate running costs as there are so many variables. The number one variable is how you drive, like how often you plant your foot, how often you throw it into a corner, you really don't buy a performance care to get you from A to B in a sedate manner every time you drive it. There is noway your going to get the mileage from the tyres you have listed your rears won't last 45K & the fronts will never last 65K you will wear the edges on the fronts before the center making them illegal. For example my work ute is a VF V6 Storm auto it carries zero weight except a tool box & most of the time I'm in traffic so never is driven in anger. My rear tyres were bald at 45K & fronts also needed replacing, now that is a ute which weighs allot less than a wagon & it's not a V8 or manual.

My E3 12.5 R8 is great on fuel until I feel the need to use the performance & then fuel isn't a concern, yes doing sums helps with a budget but your buying a performance car. If you start using the performance then rotors, pads, fuel, tyres is a black hole. On the purchase leases aren't the tax deduction they used to be, I used to buy a new ute every 5 years when contractor & it was better to just have finance/loan to pay for total car with no residual. You need to talk to an accountant in that respect.

Thanks for your input mate. The figures I came up with were from scrolling through various posts on the different topics (brake, tyre wear etc).

It would seem you are correct with your comments Re. Tyre mileage as a few others have suggested. I will reqork these figures.

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Ruredi,

Your costing's close but not quiet. It's higher if you get one with 6 spot HSV brakes as this cost more to replace, estimate on tyre is too low, and I would re-check your insurance figures as under business use/novation, the premium is a lot higher. I'd be wary of standard insurance quotes from QBE, Swann, Aami, RACV, etc if you plan to modify or insure it under an agreed value instead of market value.

I have My E3 GTS under a Novated Lease as part of my Salary Packaging Benefits. It's a daily driver, approx. 40k km from home to work (one way) and travelling between sites and work related meetings. To be honest, being able to novate the GTS was the only way to be able to afford it, otherwise I'll be driving a Prius. It's a great way to offset my taxable income.

Having the car under a novation I can offset all the running costs pre-tax and some mods. I do have to pay some 20% FBT post-tax on the car which is the standard FBT for all employees in my industry. The upside is I don't have to maintain a logbook and kilometres travelled is no longer an issue. It was under the old legislation, hefty fines applies if kilometres are not met.

In addition, you can novate a 2nd hand vehicle providing it's less than 8 years old and finance only applies up to the 8th year. There a lot of good 2nd have HSVs and it's a buyers market. I strongly advise that you seek guidance from you accountant too before making a decision.

Good luck
    Cheers man. The model I am after only has 4 spot brakes so I think my figures are fairly accurate.

I am also confident my insurance costs are correct.

I agree that it looks like Leasing is the only way I can afford this car. I have dreamed of owning a Manual Clubsport since the release of the VTII Clubsport. I was 12.

Quote Originally Posted by QIKMIK View Post
    I had my MY09 Senator on lease and it now has 167,000km on the clock. The extended warranty was worth its weight in gold. Tyre and Rim insurance is pretty handy too.

Over the last 95,000km, my E1 Senator has been through 2.5 sets of front tyres and 4 sets of rear tyres. I wouldn't count on being able to machine the rotors. Just factor in a rotor/pad replacement on each occasion. My RDA/EBC Red combo cost me $600 for fronts and $400 for rears including freight. I've done one set of rotors/pads on the front after about 45,000km of my driving and just did the rears after 80,000km.

Had to replace the rear shocks at 110,000km (leaky MRC - $$$$$$$ warranty), front strut tops (done at 135,000km service - $400). Alternator done at 165,000km service (genuine are about $500 - warranty). Engine mounts done at the same service ($500ish - warranty). Auto service at 150,000km. Keep the wheel alignment in check or you'll scrub the fronts before they are due. Spark plugs every 80,000km add a couple of hundred bucks to the cost of those services.

Remember each service includes 9 litres of oil so can be big bucks there. Try to find a good mechanic (non-dealer unless you trust them) as I found my guys (Gentech in Canberra) were nearly half the price of the local dealer. Other than that, they are just a Commodore service-wise.

Insurance cost can be a pain. I found that, as a late 30-something guy, I was able to get cheaper insurance than what the lease company could provide. Found Shannons to be the best for excess and comparable on others for premiums. I think I averaged about $1300 p.a. while the car was on lease, based on an agreed value in the $40k-45k range.

Mick
    Cheers man. No MRC for me being only an R8.

I will be sourcing my own insurance and getting paid back via the lease fund.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_sv6 View Post
    I've been getting 15,000 in my E3 R8 rears running Kumho and Falken 453s. Not touching either after the current set runs out. I have Continental CSC5s in the garage waiting to fit and hoping they provide decent grip. Never faulted Falkens in the past, but the current set are crap. No WOT until the cars straight and never off the mark, or they just light up.

Expect 30,000km at most but I'd allow $400/tyre to keep you happy
    Quote Originally Posted by sblair588 View Post
    I have been getting 25000km for the rears, and 50000km for the fronts. They are Bridgestone RE050A. I got the same type of numbers with my VE 1 Clubsport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Noted! I will re do the quotes with better tyres.

Keep in mind if you provide your own insurance and the car is written off, your payout may not be enough to pay out the lease and you will be out of pocket. The insurance the lease company provides has a clause in it to pay out lease in these circumstances.
    Having said that, I insure with Shanons on agreed value which is pretty close to lease payout figure if the worst should happen.

Cheers man. I always over insure with agreed value anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_sv6 View Post
    I've been getting 15,000 in my E3 R8 rears running Kumho and Falken 453s. Not touching either after the current set runs out. I have Continental CSC5s in the garage waiting to fit and hoping they provide decent grip. Never faulted Falkens in the past, but the current set are crap. No WOT until the cars straight and never off the mark, or they just light up.

Expect 30,000km at most but I'd allow $400/tyre to keep you happy
    Also when sourcing tyre prices, be wary of the buy 3, get 1 free deals. The reason being that on e and f series HSVs, the tyre profiles on the rear are different to the front so you might not be eligible for bundled or promotional pricing. Best to contact the tyre centre and confirm with them before building it into your lease plan.

My MY12.5 E3 received the bonus extended warranty (I purchased April 2013), so perhaps look out for that as well

I had my 75k service the other week, budget an additional ~$100 for mobile 1 oil upgrade.

Replaced all rotors and pads 10,000km's ago with aftermarket

Tires i replace once a year, just before June 30th

My clutch is still going strong, even after having a s/charger strapped to it for more than half its life

Was: E3 S/C Maloo
    Now: Audi RS3 (11.00 & 136MPH)

I spoke to GM Motorsport who are local to me and very reputable. They have suggested a $4k budget over 5 years for servicing so seems I was pretty close.

"I am also confident my insurance costs are correct".

$1300 for Insurance, that's pretty good? Can you let me know who this is with and what you get for that. I'm with Shannons and I'm paying double that being the GTS is classified under 'Business Use'

AJR HSV E3 GTS
    "Driven Not Hidden"

I'm paying around $1300 with Shannons as well. Private use, agreed value, etc. Wasn't much more with Suncorp before as a lease car.

Mick
    MY09 Senator Signature
    Cleaned --- Protected --- Driven

Factor in a clutch and possibly a new radiator too. They're non warranty item's that will expire at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by QIKMIK View Post
    I'm paying around $1300 with Shannons as well. Private use, agreed value, etc. Wasn't much more with Suncorp before as a lease car.

Mick
    The cost will be different if the car is under novation as it's deemed business use. The other insurance company that's worth getting a quote from is Famous Insurance http://www.famousinsurance.com.au/. I'm with Shannons atm but will be calling them tomorrow to see what they offer. I've heard a lot of positive things about them, especially in the performance/modifed car circle.

AJR HSV E3 GTS
    "Driven Not Hidden"

Thread Information