HSV Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last >>

Stainless or Mild steel system

Guys,
    I have just received a brilliant quote for a set of 1 7/8th headers, cats and a 3" Manta system in mild steel. What are the down falls of a mild steel system, if any? and should I go the optional no cats as suggested by some?

or should I stop being a tight arse and get a full stainless system???

I'm sure most on here would say just go with the cheaper system as you'll likely change it or sell the car before it wears out.

Personally, I went with stainless and that thing will be on there more than 10 years. Love the note (and yes, I do believe they sound different).
    Everyone has got a budget but when you spend 100k on a car, an extra grand or so for the best system compared to a mediocre one isn't that much to ask is it? Do it once, do it right is my opinion.

Just go with mild. Manta use aluminzied steel will last for years , the muffler cores are exact same as on there stainless version and will sound the same. I asked manta direct last year and no difference in the two except stainless will last alittle longer and price. Manta do a loud and quiet catback, I'd go for the one with muffler-hotdog mid sect with rear mufflers. Quiet
    however I prefer difillipo ,
    Last edited by rodders188; 08-07-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodders188 View Post
    Just go with mild. Manta use aluminzied steel will last for years , the muffler cores are exact same as on there stainless version and will sound the same. I asked manta direct last year and no difference in the two except stainless will last alittle longer and price. Manta do a loud and quiet catback, I'd go for the one with muffler-hotdog mid sect with rear mufflers.
    however I prefer difillipo and xforce over manta, I didn't really like the sound the manta had when had it on my e2 clubsport with a cam
    Yeah thanks rodders, I have quotes for xforce and Defillipo, Defillipo is about 6.5g fitted, xforce 5g fitted and both require tuning ( they are both stainless system) where as I can get the Hurricane 1 7/8th headers into 100cell cats into a dual 3" manta system ( the quieter one) in mild steel, delivered to Darwin for $2850. Lets say it costs $600 to install, and $1000 to tune it looks pretty good. I have had a manta on my previous GT and sounded nice.

im running the system you have been quoted and very happy - I went mild steel over stainless due to the deeper sound it gives off and not planning on keeping the car for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by rodders188 View Post
    Manta do a loud and quiet catback, I'd go for the one with muffler-hotdog mid sect with rear mufflers.
    That's the Manta system (quiet) I have - no drone, from mild to wild

I am also OCD with aftermarket car parts, if it doesn't fit like OEM its a deal breaker

Click for mods

Quote Originally Posted by Nath View Post
    im running the system you have been quoted and very happy - I went mild steel over stainless due to the deeper sound it gives off and not planning on keeping the car for 20 years.

That's the Manta system (quiet) I have - no drone, from mild to wild

I am also OCD with aftermarket car parts, if it doesn't fit like OEM its a deal breaker
    Sweet Nath, yeah I like this deal seems to be the goer. What car are you running yours on?

Either system will also be louder on a boosted car than an NA one FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Trucker View Post
    Sweet Nath, yeah I like this deal seems to be the goer. What car are you running yours on?
    LS3 with a 2.3L supercharger

Click for mods

I have the same header/cat setup (spend the extra on ceramic coating). I have a 2 1/2 cat back though, depends on how much power you plan on chasing later.

Thread Information