HSV Forum

Page 3 of 9 First << 12345 ... Last >>
    Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Hi All,

Haven't been online for while due to lack of time but I'll share my experience with brake replacement for my E3 GTS (Yellow 6-Piston Brakes - SV Option).

I had my brakes and rotors replaced earlier this year and went with DBA 2 piece 368 mm front and 355 mm rears, the brake pads were Ferodo DS2500. The DBA rotors are impressive, however I think the pads are unsuitable for daily driving as I experienced the same PITA as Whiplash has said..."Squealing under low speed braking and a general grinding sound at low speeds as well"... I've had the edges of the pads 'chamfered', I think that's the term used by the workshop, it worked for several weeks but now it back again. I'm considering going back to the HSV OEM or will consider an aftermarket brand if anyone here, based on experience, can recommend an alternative pads that suits street duties. TIA
    I would suggest rebedding yours. Give them a half a dozen or more hard stops, from 100km/h down to 10-15km/h (don't fully stop, just bring the speed back up and go again). Once you've some 6-10 of these, drive normally for another 10 minutes or so to allow them to cool before parking the car.

When the workshop champfered them, they probably took the glaze off the surface of the pad. Nanna style street driving will make them glaze up again over time which causes the noise. You need to get them hot every once in a while to get some fresh surface on the pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by surfwagon View Post
    I might be wrong but i thought the Ferodo DS2500 was the same or similar to the Holden AP pad.
    I hated the dust from original AP pads and when time for replacement came I went with DBA 5000, 2 piece fronts and 4000, 1 piece rears with EBC Red pads.
    I'm on my second set of front pads and have not regretted using them one bit.
    This is on a VZ with AP 6/4 360/343 set up.
    2 sets of pads and no dramas. I'm wondering if the issue the guys were talking about earlier doesn't apply to the 362/343mm setup as mine doesn't feel like ever missing a beat and we're running the same setup.

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Hi All,

Haven't been online for while due to lack of time but I'll share my experience with brake replacement for my E3 GTS (Yellow 6-Piston Brakes - SV Option).

I had my brakes and rotors replaced earlier this year and went with DBA 2 piece 368 mm front and 355 mm rears, the brake pads were Ferodo DS2500. The DBA rotors are impressive, however I think the pads are unsuitable for daily driving as I experienced the same PITA as Whiplash has said..."Squealing under low speed braking and a general grinding sound at low speeds as well"... I've had the edges of the pads 'chamfered', I think that's the term used by the workshop, it worked for several weeks but now it back again. I'm considering going back to the HSV OEM or will consider an aftermarket brand if anyone here, based on experience, can recommend an alternative pads that suits street duties. TIA
    I was going to replace the OE AP pads with DS2500, I decided against it because of what I read on other forums and from a few members on here saying they were harsh on rotors and very noisy. Considered the Hawk ceramic pads and EBC Reds but they received similar criticism so I went with Ferodo DS Performance (one step below DS2500) on original rotors without machining or skimming. I found the DS to be not as good as the OE pads, as the APs have better initial bite but will most likely get the DS again as they offer about 90% of the performance of the AP pads at 50% of the cost.

Having travelled 6000kms now and from what I can tell they have been kind on the rotors, have had no squealing or screeching and I didn’t bed them in at all as after fitting I had to drive home in traffic.

http://www.dba.com.au/products/ds-performance-pads/

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    What exactly is the issue? Fade, glazing, rotor wear?
    All the above. 40,000km and my discs were completely stuffed. Had to replace discs yesterday when I put the Ferrodo pads on Matt sent me.

2017 GEN-F2 HSV GTSR Heron White 6M 844
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Nitrate Silver 6M 098 (Gone)
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Heron White 6A 617 (Gone)
    2013 VF SSV Redline Nitrate Silver 6M (Gone)
    2002 VX SS II Quicksilver 6M
    Dream Car:- HSV VL SS GRP A

Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!

What's wrong with O.E.?
    I had the AP 6 spots optioned on our VZGTO, and of course the pads were Ferodo DS2500,...which I thought were BRILLIANT.
    I've had no experience with the VF range, but I thought that the DS2500 pad would stiill have been used, but I don't really know,...but I do know that on our GTO, the DS2500 pads were perfect. They were bedded in pretty muchas directed on this thread (and this is VERY IMPORTANT).
    We did 10 HARD stops from 100 down to 5ks (do NOT stop), then 15 mins- 1/2 han hour to let 'em cool down, and they WILL need cooling down!!....Ferodo told me that after the 10 stops the "brakes would be smokn"!!...and they were.
    We were also advised to give the brakes a severe workout once in a while,...kept the surfaces clean,...no squeal.
    Pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by white_lie View Post
    How did you bed them in?
    The usual way....half a dozen or more hard stops, from 100km/h down to 10-15km/h. never seemed to help, week later it was the same(same squeal/grind) so id rinse and repeat, after a while(at least a month or so of trying to 're-bed' them) I gave up and now I just put up with it. Will replace them with something else when I get around to it.
    2008 MY09 HSV VE SENATOR #0270. WALKINSHAW ENHANCED.
    WhipLash

I picked up front and rear Winmax W1 from Matt at Sydney race brakes the other week. Getting them installed on Tuesday. Can let you know how they go if you want.

Thanks mate, ill keep my ear to the wall.
    2008 MY09 HSV VE SENATOR #0270. WALKINSHAW ENHANCED.
    WhipLash

I replaced my rotors with DBA and Winmax low dust pads on my E3 GTS.
    All work fine, but the pads are must be slightly smaller in size, they have bad pad knock. So going over bumps they rattle, or rolling back and touch the brakes they click as they move, same going forward.
    It really does annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by desmo View Post
    All work fine, but the pads are must be slightly smaller in size, they have bad pad knock. So going over bumps they rattle, or rolling back and touch the brakes they click as they move, same going forward.
    It really does annoy me.
    Have you spoken to Matt about it? Is there tabs to lock them in place?
    Doesn't sound right that they're so loose

Quote Originally Posted by desmo View Post
    It really does annoy me.
    I bought Project Mu pads front and rear .These have bad pad knock aswell.Very annoying.

Thread Information