HSV Forum

Page 2 of 9 First << 1234 ... Last >>
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    .. as I found out on the race car, not nice

I did a couple of high speed errr spirited stops from $1.60 in a rush to a few urgent jobs and sounds like I've had a similar problem to you.

2017 GEN-F2 HSV GTSR Heron White 6M 844
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Nitrate Silver 6M 098 (Gone)
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Heron White 6A 617 (Gone)
    2013 VF SSV Redline Nitrate Silver 6M (Gone)
    2002 VX SS II Quicksilver 6M
    Dream Car:- HSV VL SS GRP A

Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!

What exactly is the issue? Fade, glazing, rotor wear?

Quote Originally Posted by HEDSUP View Post
    what are the QFMs like?
    Are they ceramic? Noisy? Will they chew out the rotors?
    Ill chime in here, I did rotors(rda or dba I think) and pads(QFM) all round and I have to say they have been noisy as all sht ever since they were put on. Squealing under low speed braking and a general grinding sound at low speeds as well. Gets slightly better when they are hot but still very annoying. I took it back to the shop and was told 'thats just how they are.'
    2008 MY09 HSV VE SENATOR #0270. WALKINSHAW ENHANCED.
    WhipLash

Quote Originally Posted by WhipLash View Post
    Ill chime in here, I did rotors(rda or dba I think) and pads(QFM) all round and I have to say they have been noisy as all sht ever since they were put on. Squealing under low speed braking and a general grinding sound at low speeds as well. Gets slightly better when they are hot but still very annoying. I took it back to the shop and was told 'thats just how they are.'
    How did you bed them in?

Whiplash - you might have bought a track pad and not a street pad. I used to have huge problems with the WK because at the time, it was the only car with the 343mm rotor on the front. Street Pads were only made every three to four months and sold out very quickly. Performance (track) pads were readily available. Could never get them hot enough around town. Never needed a horn however. Good on the open road because of the limited braking. Easier now, several vehicles have that size rotor.
    No amount of 'bedding' or sprays etc changed the pad characteristics. "... thats just how they are' was the response I got too.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipLash View Post
    Maybe you need to take it for a spirited run to tidy the pads up. How long did you bed in for? PM me which shop you went to.

Mick
    MY09 Senator Signature
    Cleaned --- Protected --- Driven

Hi All,

Haven't been online for while due to lack of time but I'll share my experience with brake replacement for my E3 GTS (Yellow 6-Piston Brakes - SV Option).

I had my brakes and rotors replaced earlier this year and went with DBA 2 piece 368 mm front and 355 mm rears, the brake pads were Ferodo DS2500. The DBA rotors are impressive, however I think the pads are unsuitable for daily driving as I experienced the same PITA as Whiplash has said..."Squealing under low speed braking and a general grinding sound at low speeds as well"... I've had the edges of the pads 'chamfered', I think that's the term used by the workshop, it worked for several weeks but now it back again. I'm considering going back to the HSV OEM or will consider an aftermarket brand if anyone here, based on experience, can recommend an alternative pads that suits street duties. TIA

AJR HSV E3 GTS
    "Driven Not Hidden"

BTW if anyone is interested, the DBA part numbers are:

Front 2 piece rotors - DBA57072R & DBA57072L
    Rear single piece rotors - DBA42031R & DBA42031L

AJR HSV E3 GTS
    "Driven Not Hidden"

I might be wrong but i thought the Ferodo DS2500 was the same or similar to the Holden AP pad.
    I hated the dust from original AP pads and when time for replacement came I went with DBA 5000, 2 piece fronts and 4000, 1 piece rears with EBC Red pads.
    I'm on my second set of front pads and have not regretted using them one bit.
    This is on a VZ with AP 6/4 360/343 set up.

RDA rotors and EBC Red pads. May not have the performance and reputation of some of the other combos available but affordable, quiet and relatively low dust, considering they are still a fairly decent brake package.

Affordable....I did the whole car for around a grand.
    Performance....Had a bit of fade after repeated hits from "speed", otherwise hard to fault. I believe the car had OEM rotors and pads when I got it in 2012.
    Quiet.......errrr, quiet.

Mick
    MY09 Senator Signature
    Cleaned --- Protected --- Driven

Thread Information