HSV Forum

Page 7 of 9 First << ... 56789 Last >>
    hey RBSMATT, could u recomend pads for me . vz clubby with r8 ap brake upgrade.350 front 330 rear.think i have standard pads.way too dusty for me.what would be a good pad that is way less dusty?

Quote Originally Posted by vz hsv View Post
    hey RBSMATT, could u recomend pads for me . vz clubby with r8 ap brake upgrade.350 front 330 rear.think i have standard pads.way too dusty for me.what would be a good pad that is way less dusty?
    The Winmax W1 compound would be my choice and then the Project MU NS400.

Matt Pearce
    Race Brakes Sydney
    PH 02 9609 1101
    www.racebrakessydney.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by RBSMATT View Post
    ............. I have heard the series 2 VF LSA has apparently got the 367mm front but the rear is now a little larger in size so make sure anyone who has the VF S2 LSA does check the rotor size when it gets replaced.
    The GEN-F2 GTS brochure says that the brake rotors are 390mm front and 372mm rear. However, I presume you are referring to the 400kw models not the GTS.
    GEN-F2 GTS, VS Clubsport 185i

When buying brake and suspension parts, even the dealers can get it wrong - particularly if the correct part is not in stock. Be prepared to provide VIN because there can be changes.

Race Brakes (Matt) has always provided me with accurate information - not always to my liking. For a long time, it was difficult to get front brake parts for the WK because they were a unique size. Fortunately that size is now common with other SUVs.

Quote Originally Posted by grange250 View Post
    When buying brake and suspension parts, even the dealers can get it wrong - particularly if the correct part is not in stock. Be prepared to provide VIN because there can be changes.

Race Brakes (Matt) has always provided me with accurate information - not always to my liking. For a long time, it was difficult to get front brake parts for the WK because they were a unique size. Fortunately that size is now common with other SUVs.

Matt Pearce
    Race Brakes Sydney
    PH 02 9609 1101

Matt, have you got a dustless pad for the GEN-F GTS yet?

Thank you

2017 GEN-F2 HSV GTSR Heron White 6M 844
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Nitrate Silver 6M 098 (Gone)
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Heron White 6A 617 (Gone)
    2013 VF SSV Redline Nitrate Silver 6M (Gone)
    2002 VX SS II Quicksilver 6M
    Dream Car:- HSV VL SS GRP A

Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!

Quote Originally Posted by RCBVFGTS View Post
    Matt, have you got a dustless pad for the GEN-F GTS yet?

Thank you
    Not dustless but we have a Winmax W2 brake pad here which is supposed to be lower dust than factory but haven't had any feedback from customers as yet .

Matt Pearce
    Race Brakes Sydney
    PH 02 9609 1101

best place for this question

I developed a loud rattle, it ended up being a missing anti squeal plate or brake pad pin flex plate missing!

I can see a heap of paint off on the inside of the calliper so it must have been loose for some time, when we finish our road trip I will remove the wheel and have a good look, but I can't see any big gouge marks on the inside of the rim, so how is it possible
    for this flex plate to come out? it should be impossible unless a retaining pin comes out.
    Only think I can think of is after washing the car and leaving in the shed over night, when I reverse out, sometimes a few days after the wash the brakes sound like they have stuck on and I get a big crack as they unstick, maybe one of these caused the bottom of the plate to flex out. I was told as the part did not fail, just fell out its not a warranty job, small shop had one handy!
    but I could see a ton of wear. Rear wheel. anyone ever had this happen? or have I had some sus work done, the pads are still originals only new tyres. cheers from sunny Brisbane.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_02 View Post
    best place for this question

I developed a loud rattle, it ended up being a missing anti squeal plate or brake pad pin flex plate missing!

I can see a heap of paint off on the inside of the calliper so it must have been loose for some time, when we finish our road trip I will remove the wheel and have a good look, but I can't see any big gouge marks on the inside of the rim, so how is it possible
    for this flex plate to come out? it should be impossible unless a retaining pin comes out.
    Only think I can think of is after washing the car and leaving in the shed over night, when I reverse out, sometimes a few days after the wash the brakes sound like they have stuck on and I get a big crack as they unstick, maybe one of these caused the bottom of the plate to flex out. I was told as the part did not fail, just fell out its not a warranty job, small shop had one handy!
    but I could see a ton of wear. Rear wheel. anyone ever had this happen? or have I had some sus work done, the pads are still originals only new tyres. cheers from sunny Brisbane.
    Generally the only way one of those black retainer plates comes off is if the pin falls out first or it wasn't fitted properly as it needs both pins over the top of it but it would come off pretty quick after that.

Matt Pearce
    Race Brakes Sydney
    PH 02 9609 1101

I have a 2010 R8 E2 and have had the dealer tell me the front rotors and pads need replacing. They reckoned the rotors were 30.3mm 12 months ago ... and worse at my service earlier this week. Given that they also reckoned I needed new wipers (oops - they didn't know that I had replaced them myself a few months back) and new front tyres - due to the edges starting to feather (rubbish - I got 50,000km from my last set of fronts and these have only done 20,000km and have 6mm tread depth across the face) - I was not inclined to blindly follow their advice on brakes and discs and hand over $2k to make the problem go away.

Anyway - yesterday I took the advice on this thread and measured the front discs myself with a digital vernier. I tried at 5 spots around each disc and I got around 30.8mm at every spot (lowest reading was 30.79 - highest about 30.84) ... so I am really doubting the need for new discs. However - I can see that the pads are wearing (not surprising after nearly 70,000km of fairly sedate driving in a manual car) - especially the outer driver's side (quite noticeably more wear than the others - with probably half as much life left in that one compared to the others). I reckon I have around 2.5mm left on that pad (and around 4-6mm on the others).

My question is this - do the OEM pads that HSV put on back in 2010 have those "squealer" wear alerts built into them that I hear some people talking about? I don't mean the scraping noise that means you are down to the backing plate and metal is grinding your discs into oblivion - apparently it is more of a squeal or squeak (like shown here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTKPW3FBbZo ).

Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to get the last few kilometers out of my pads - it is just that I am driving interstate in a couple of days time and won't have a chance to get brakes done before I leave - so I just wanted to know whether I have any kind of wear alert to let me know when I am getting dangerously close to the limit ... or whether I just have to hope for the best during the trip and get them done when I return.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by Maxmad; 26-01-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Thread Information