HSV Forum

2 Ohm replacement speakers for factory speakers

Hi guys well i have a dead speaker in the rear left door ive already removed it and im just looking to replace it and the other one with possibly an aftermarket speaker as i guess if i replace it with a factory one it will only suffer the same fate. Ive had a troll online and really couldnt find anything unless it was in the states. Ive had a 149 Db car when i was younger so im really not looking to upgrade to amps etc any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

macca
    # 065 Senator signature E2

I've spent a fortune on booze, birds and fast cars the rest I've just squandered.
    LCPL Russell Eisenhuth 17 Jan 2000
    PTE Marc Brown 30 Jan 2002
    Lest We Forget

Yes, it involves amps and an outlay of cash but.... I am using a multi-channel line level convertor to use aftermarket speakers in my Senator.

This http://www.dnaaudio.com.au/index.php...e-harness.html will provide you with the ability to cut into the factory speaker output without actually cutting in the original loom.

This http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audi...-upgrade/lc8i/ lets you hack into the speaker level output and add up to 8 channels of amplification.

This http://aerpro.com/apu8sum is exactly the same as the one above (made on the same production line) but costs about a third of the price. It's the one I have.

As you have an E2, I would assume that the stereo and wiring is as per E1 and everything I've used should work for you too.

Mick
    MY09 Senator Signature
    Cleaned --- Protected --- Driven

Thanks that definitely gives me an option to upgrade and retain the use of the factory controls which is a big plus. Yeah im pretty certain the e2 was just cosmetics on the outside so wiring should be exactly the same.

Cheers

Macca

I've spent a fortune on booze, birds and fast cars the rest I've just squandered.
    Lest We Forget

I have put Rockford T16 splits in the front doors and and P165's in the rear. Just a straight swap. They sound awesome and they are 4ohm. Doesnt seem to be any problems when i turn up extra loud

Im in the process of amping them (as QIKMIK knows) and a lot of the new amps dont need an LOC to make them work. I have bought a rockford P400x4 (same amp Walkinshaw use) and will be amping all 4 speakers.

The P400x4 is hi level capable and therefore i have been told i can simply run some rca converters like these rockford ones http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/rfif2sw (kicker or stinger make some as well) and then rca to amp. I assume the LOC will be fine still as well. Using Rockford, their LOC is about $70 compared to $30 for two of these.

I also bought a P300 active sub. In total i have spent 1700 in wire and hardware and accessories. The fron speakers are awesome and overall will be a Walkinshaw matching setup for a lot less.

In summary, if you just wanted to replace speakers, Kicker do some 6.5" direct replacement 2 Ohm speakers but i wouldnt have a problem recommending the 4 ohm ones i have

Cheers thanks for the info very handy, like most things will probably get out of hand quickly with a upgrade lol.

Lest We Forget

Lol... Yeah I went from $250 for some replacement speakers I was going to fit myself to $600 fitted including top Rockford 'punch' front splits to selling car parts and other odds and ends to buy the sub and then saying stuff it I need an amp...lol

hehehe i feel your pain starts as a snowball and quickly turns into an avalanche lol

Lest We Forget

Hey Bonners, would I be able to fit out something similar to your setup in a Maloo (if it ever gets here) - one of the things I want to upgrade is the factory sound, without replacing the head unit. I'd like to try and keep the setup as discrete as possible, so only replacing the speakers with something that would fit in the same enclosure, not necessarily drilling new holes or cutting into anything.

Thread Information