HSV Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last >>

Three-valve heads developed for Holden V8

Interesting story from Wheels magazine Oct 97'. Looks like Holden had a lot more planned for the old V8 before they retired it. The LS1 obviously had a lot more potential straight out of the box/crate.

[IMG][/IMG]

That's the dumbest bit of journalism in that article.
    Too much torque for the chassis? It makes the same as the stroker 5.7 and less than the blueprinted version (475/500).
    Cost is what killed that idea. It had been floating around for some time before that was written.

.. that article is plain wrong (I have never seen it before)

for starters it was Warwick Bryce who designed (and built the first few) 3 valve Holden V8s
    and
    as for HSV 'detuning' its LSx engines... c'mon

finally Holden were building more than 6000 V8s back in the late 90s
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    .. that article is plain wrong (I have never seen it before)

for starters it was Warwick Bryce who designed (and built the first few) 3 valve Holden V8s
    and
    as for HSV 'detuning' its LSx engines... c'mon

finally Holden were building more than 6000 V8s back in the late 90s
    Spot On,....I've spoken to Warwick on several occasions,.....DEFINITELY the 308 "Guru",....He told me he had a set of those heads on his road car for a while,...He also said that He was pretty sure there'd be a set at Fishermans Bend, "somewhere"!
    Pickles.

Lol
    "HSV detuned the LS1 because it was too powerful for the chassis" then pumps out the VT2 GTS with 300kw and 510nM....

2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.700 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

Looks like motor journalism standards back then weren't much different to now. I think the detuning was probably more related to product marketing than engineering. 5kw taken off for VT11 clubsport then put back for VX so they could advertise a power increase. Also had to detune for VT11 SS to reduce buyer dissatisfaction from those that had spent 70-80 grand on a 220i HSV.

There was certainly a lot of pissed off hsv owners when the 220 LS1 was released in executive to Calais which matched their expensive cars but at the same time it wasn't a secret that the LS1 was coming out.
    The good side of it was the discounts you could get on series 1 HSV when Series 2 commodore was released.

Would have been some good deals available at the time. Even now they're one of the most affordable HSVs. I'd still choose the 220i over an LS1 for my own reasons. I think what let them down the most was the added weight over the VS. The 300kw GTS did a good job of fixing the power to weight ratio when it was released.

The 220 exec/ SS did an awesome job in its day.
    At the time an LS1 SS was a weapon

Thread Information