HSV Forum

Page 2 of 8 First << 1234 ... Last >>
    Found this in an old Car Australia magazine from Jan '92. Thought it was a well written comparison of 2 cars tweaked to appeal to different buyers. Would be good to see a Senator 5000i vs GTS head to head, I guess there would be one out there somewhere.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by back in black; 18-02-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Max Ellery's "How to Rebuild & Hotrod Holden V8" has some good info on the Holden engines.

[IMG][/IMG]

You don't often get a club sport with those seats. That's been optioned so the price gap would have narrowed quite a bit.
    In the last few years we've found (on this forum) that the SV91 did come in more colours than Euro Blue. There is a white one and recently a red one.
    You can't go wrong in any 5000i car. My preference is still the SV5000 though. The rear seat looks more luxurious with the bucket seats look. VP didn't have that. And the cam is noisier. Makes you look.

This clubsport seats are optioned Devenish seats with Waratah trim.

One of the many features of the Senator 5000i is it has the Vq statesman rear seat bench. This bucket style seating is either leather flanked or full flinders leather, the GTS did not have this seating.

Also there is two silver Sv91 been reported on this forum.

The baby Crane cam 268H that's in the Sv 5000 gave a nice exhaust note ,but main power increase was achieved by the 9 to 1 flat top pistons to get to 200KW.

As stated the Senator 5000i motor has a holden refined camshaft profile. The engine management system underwent further alterations for a smoother more progressive response from idle speeds.

I have changed my 5000i motor cam to a mild Crane cam 276H spec. You get a very nice exhaust note, and power increase to 225 KW with a full exhaust system change.

I can see the appeal of the SV5000, it has a number of unique features. I've only recently discovered the VN-VP HSVs. I wasn't old enough to remember them when they came out, also my dad was a Ford man. Have been doing some research on them, it's a very interesting part of HSV's history.
    I read that there was a one off prototype SV91 that was a different colour, developed before the VP was released.

Quote Originally Posted by back in black View Post
    I read that there was a one off prototype SV91 that was a different colour, developed before the VP was released.
    The VN SV91 Prototype was made about 6 months before the SV91 model was released. It was Maranello Red and was kind of a parts bin special made up of SV5000, SV89 and SV3800 body kit parts. It was primarily to provide some excitement for the Perth Motor Show but they held off on the release until the VP range came out in October 91. The regular SV91 runs the same bodykit as the a VP Senator.

.....or Senator has the same body kit as SV91. SV91 was the first VP HSV

The Sv91 stood alone as the luxury primo car based on commodore for a while in late 91 to June 92 until the Senator 5000i took over the throne .

Quote Originally Posted by HSVGTS125 View Post
    .....or Senator has the same body kit as SV91. SV91 was the first VP HSV
    Well yes, most are just more familiar with the Senator

Quote Originally Posted by back in black View Post
    I can see the appeal of the SV5000, it has a number of unique features. I've only recently discovered the VN-VP HSVs. I wasn't old enough to remember them when they came out, also my dad was a Ford man. Have been doing some research on them, it's a very interesting part of HSV's history.
    The VN Sv5000 has the same statesman rear bench seat as Senator 5000i different supplier of leather is only difference. I think the VN Group A also has the same Crane 268H cam as well. Holden first attempt at a 200KW motor from the 304ci in the Sv5000 is raw, refinement was needed for the young wealthy exec that could afford the Senator 5000i that why a special 5000i cam was specified.

Thread Information