HSV Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 Last >>

tower.. and the towed

what do I tow...?

race car for starters .. plus a bike or 2

.. this normally gets ridden but has been towed to PI on a couple of occasions where it proceeded
    to scare the hell out of me on the track. Go under the bridge on the straight with 280 on the clock
    and its still accelerating

AMCN mag got one to 320 at Avalon when they first came out
    Last edited by Smitty; 13-08-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Not sure why this thread hasnt been put up before!!

Thought the tow rating on a manual wagon was 1600? did you have it upgraded?

This is what I tow, badly requires bags in the rear.

Real name Brady

SV6000 #0024

Quote Originally Posted by Strick View Post
    Not sure why this thread hasnt been put up before!!

Thought the tow rating on a manual wagon was 1600? did you have it upgraded?
    trailer weighs 410kg according to the plate, race car about 1210kg* dry = 1600 kg close enuff
    but really a 1600kg limit is a joke with the Tourer. It will keep up with traffic from the
    lights around town and will do 110kmh in a doddle on the Hume on the way to Winton.

Dunno why the auto is higher coz all that does is wear out the transmission quicker !
    The couple of people I know who have SS/SSvs (sedan or wagons) or auto Clubbies who
    tow stuff like race cars complain that the auto goes to shit when towing.. it hunts itself silly!
    One very big reason why I won't have an auto

I sat with one guy down to PI with his race car out back and I reckon it did maybe a couple of
    thousand gear changes in the first 20 or 40 kms. In the end he got sick of that and stuck it
    in 4th (pushed the lever over) and manually changed for the rest of trip. He now has a manual
    VF Redline SSv ute ....it tows better

* the race car weight comes from the last time it went thru scrutiny onto the scales at PI last year,
    1267 kg with a full tank (about 60 litres) after I fuelled it up in the paddock
    Last edited by Smitty; 05-02-2016 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    Smitty
    Member PIARC VICV8s Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

I have just had a 2100kg towbar (Hayman Reece) added to the Tourer.
    Went to Ocean Grove on the weekend.
    Those in Melbourne may remember it was a bit (understatement) windy (areas still without power).

It towed very well.
    At 100 (ahem) it was quite stable.
    On the way back (Geelong/Melb Rd) with the wind, again, stable (certainly could feel the xwind, but not to the point I felt it was going to go astray).

As mentioned above, mine is an auto, and it hunts.
    Until I used manual mode. Made a huge difference when monitoring instant fuel consumption.
    The caravan is just under 2000kg, haven't done the fuel figures yet, and I don't think I want to!

It sits a bit low over the rear, bit high on the front, though as said, not to the detriment of handling.
    Don't know much about air bags for the rear, but possibly should get them done.

Ditto - as I am going around Aus next year, north, hot... should a transmission cooler be added ("nice", "just in case", "mandatory")?

Better start saving $'s for the trip fuel

My old VE towed pretty well - roughly 2,500kgs

1994 VR GTS
    2014 Gen-F GTS
    2017 VF2 SS-V Redline Hackwagon

wow ahaha that's a decent boat mate!! would fly with the 300 yammie on the back... ive got a F150 on mine, and bloody love the engines. So quiet and reliable.

Yip it went really well. That one was 7.25m but have recently downsized to 6.50m in the same boat with a 250hp Yamaha on it. The 725 was too big to handle on the hard, and the 650 is just capable, quicker and only 1800km on the trailer
    1994 VR GTS
    2014 Gen-F GTS

Holy crap when did they raise the Titanic lol. Nice boat
    # 065 Senator signature E2

I've spent a fortune on booze, birds and fast cars the rest I've just squandered.
    LCPL Russell Eisenhuth 17 Jan 2000
    PTE Marc Brown 30 Jan 2002
    Lest We Forget

Yeah nice one mate! What brand boat is that? I've never seen them before.. I got a new plate boat built last year, its a 6m bar crusher, half cab. Nice boat and only weighs in around 1.7T wet, so easy to tow around the place.

It's a Haines Hunter SF725. NZ built, don't think they sell them in AU. 6m is a better size for trailer boat, my new one is a a lot nicer to drag around
    1994 VR GTS
    2014 Gen-F GTS

Thread Information