HSV Forum


Page 1 of 3 123 Last >>
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,226

    Local carbon-fibre parts tipped to appear on hot Commodore V8 in 2016

    Interesting development

    AUSTRALIAN carbon-fibre parts specialist Quickstep Holdings has won its first vehicle parts contract, producing engine-bay components for a high-spec local vehicle due for release in the first half of 2016.

    The parts are expected to be used on a Holden Commodore V8 model, probably a low-volume special edition, lthough Quickstep would give no details about the manufacturer or the model.

    The contract is the first Quickstep has won since establishing its automotive division at the carbon-fibre hub on the Waurn Ponds campus of Deakin University, near Geelong, and comes as Ford in the US last week confirmed it had sealed a deal with wheel-maker Carbon Revolution – also based in the Deakin precinct – to supply Ford’s Shelby Mustang GT350R with its hitech lightweight carbon-fibre wheels.

    Quickstep has for years been making aerospace-grade parts for plane-makers like Northrop Grumman and Lockheed Martin and is already in discussions with several European car manufacturers.
    It has been working closely with Audi in a program funded by the German government to prove the viability of a carbon-fibre roof panel as a structural member.

    Quickstep chief executive David Marino said the company would soon receive details of the Australian order, which will entail the production of up to 1000 parts for 2016.

    He said the carbon-fibre part would replace a part now made in another material and would start the process of
    demonstrating what carbon-fibre can do for car-makers. “When you open the bonnet you see valances, ducts and hose sorts of elements. It will be in that range of products,” he said. “It is part of the mass reduction process that the car-makers are implementing and, certainly, will give the vehicle some features that customers will like when they open the bonnet.”

    Mr Marino said deliveries under the new contract would start in 2016 and be produced in a much shorter timeframe than Quickstep is used to with its various aerospace contracts. “Importantly, this demonstrates
    our serial production capabilities and represents early success for the first phase of our automotive strategy,” he
    said. “Over the next 18 months, we will target small-volume automotive projects of about 500 to 2000 parts per annum, as we increase our volume capability to secure larger projects.”

    Mr Marino said the Quickstep technology is suitable for flat products like bonnets and door skins as it uses a one-sided tool or mould.

    I asked Graeme what his thoughts were (original source):

    The GTS R is still happening in a development sense and whilst I cannot confirm its signed of - I feel that it is

    They are planning various special stuff and accessories that can be retro fitted to previous models to keep the revenue stream going for as long as they can . . .

    I had a long chat with Crenno about doing the whole "Porsche Exclusive" thing in the HSV world and in the end it sort of got handed to WP in their early days and never got the right approach from that entity - although I did have a long meet with WP (CP and the late Alan Hale) when they first started down at Elfin in Braeside which provide a few tricky things - but not anywhere near as much as we discussed

    I actually drew the WP DD exhaust tip for them that day and they at least went ahead with that - which was pretty neat back in the day

    Somebody needs to provide parts send backup into the future and Holden (HSPO) probably aren't interested so HSV are going to make it part of the overall "Fusion Automotive" Business
    Last edited by Nitrate; 16-07-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    What you say will be forgotten someday, what you do will be remembered!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrate View Post
    Interesting development

    He said the carbon-fibre part would replace a part now made in another material and would start the process of
    demonstrating what carbon-fibre can do for car-makers. “When you open the bonnet you see valances, ducts and hose sorts of elements. It will be in that range of products,” he said. “It is part of the mass reduction process that the car-makers are implementing and, certainly, will give the vehicle some features that customers will like when they open the bonnet.”
    lets hope its as pretty as what bmw did with the CSL... without the price tag!



    Shame he made no mention of a carbon roof included in the scope, lets hope there is!

    Racing... Because football, rugby, basketball & golf only require one ball

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sunbury Vic.
    Posts
    233
    Have heard Quickstep are very good,

    As well as the aerospace bits, they do a few one off jobs for motorcycles.

    Good to see they're into the automotive business.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,420
    Cool that it will be under bonnet stuff, would have been even cooler if we could have dropped large amounts of weight though all over the car not just under the hood.

    2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.703 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

    Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    313

    Local carbon-fibre parts tipped to appear on hot Commodore V8 in 2016

    Someone mentioned one of the possible engines (forget which) for a potential GTS-R would need an OTR intake... That would catch your eye in carbon when you pop the bonnet...

    I wonder if 1000 pieces means 1000 cars?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JWM; 16-07-2015 at 06:35 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    6,619
    I would think less than 1000 vehicles as they'll need a spare parts inventory

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by BigM View Post
    Someone mentioned one of the possible engines (forget which) for a potential GTS-R would need an OTR intake... That would catch your eye in carbon when you pop the bonnet...

    I wonder if 1000 pieces means 1000 cars?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LS9 I believe - GEN F GTS and others can probably confirm this.
    Yes, will llok great

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,420
    Quote Originally Posted by BigM View Post
    Someone mentioned one of the possible engines (forget which) for a potential GTS-R would need an OTR intake... That would catch your eye in carbon when you pop the bonnet...

    I wonder if 1000 pieces means 1000 cars?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes the throttle body placement on the LS9 is a bit awkward because on the ZR1 Corvette it uses an OTR, if you used an air box like we currently use, it "may" work but might lose HP since the angles are very sharp, hence an OTR would make more sense.

    2014 HSV GenF-GTS fitted with a Forced Induction Interchiller
    http://www.facebook.com/ForcedInductionInterchillers
    Australia's outright Fastest VF GTS & Fastest 6.2L 1900LSA with a stock bottom end
    9.703 @145.22mph 21/June/2017
    V-Box Results 0-100km/h in 2.47sec

    Looking for colder IAT's? we have achieved 11c IAT2 on a 41c day and -8c during winter.
    We have proven cabin AC vent temps are better than GM spec, both IAT2's and vent temps are all on video with nothing to hide.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    6019
    Posts
    5,054
    2016 the 20th anniversary of the GTS-R. Woot. Way to go out with a bang.
    Zorst video: https://youtu.be/R0oKu5PMQG4
    Water Proof Arrma Kraton on 6S: https://youtu.be/ZZMs7dDCCAY

    #21 2001 VX R8 series II
    #16 2006 HSV Dealer Team ClubSport
    #771 2010 E2 GTS

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Byron Bay
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrate View Post
    Interesting development

    AUSTRALIAN carbon-fibre parts specialist Quickstep Holdings has won its first vehicle parts contract, producing engine-bay components for a high-spec local vehicle due for release in the first half of 2016.

    The parts are expected to be used on a Holden Commodore V8 model, probably a low-volume special edition, lthough Quickstep would give no details about the manufacturer or the model.

    The contract is the first Quickstep has won since establishing its automotive division at the carbon-fibre hub on the Waurn Ponds campus of Deakin University, near Geelong, and comes as Ford in the US last week confirmed it had sealed a deal with wheel-maker Carbon Revolution – also based in the Deakin precinct – to supply Ford’s Shelby Mustang GT350R with its hitech lightweight carbon-fibre wheels.

    Quickstep has for years been making aerospace-grade parts for plane-makers like Northrop Grumman and Lockheed Martin and is already in discussions with several European car manufacturers.
    It has been working closely with Audi in a program funded by the German government to prove the viability of a carbon-fibre roof panel as a structural member.

    Quickstep chief executive David Marino said the company would soon receive details of the Australian order, which will entail the production of up to 1000 parts for 2016.

    He said the carbon-fibre part would replace a part now made in another material and would start the process of
    demonstrating what carbon-fibre can do for car-makers. “When you open the bonnet you see valances, ducts and hose sorts of elements. It will be in that range of products,” he said. “It is part of the mass reduction process that the car-makers are implementing and, certainly, will give the vehicle some features that customers will like when they open the bonnet.”

    Mr Marino said deliveries under the new contract would start in 2016 and be produced in a much shorter timeframe than Quickstep is used to with its various aerospace contracts. “Importantly, this demonstrates
    our serial production capabilities and represents early success for the first phase of our automotive strategy,” he
    said. “Over the next 18 months, we will target small-volume automotive projects of about 500 to 2000 parts per annum, as we increase our volume capability to secure larger projects.”

    Mr Marino said the Quickstep technology is suitable for flat products like bonnets and door skins as it uses a one-sided tool or mould.

    I asked Graeme what his thoughts were (original source):

    The GTS R is still happening in a development sense and whilst I cannot confirm its signed of - I feel that it is

    They are planning various special stuff and accessories that can be retro fitted to previous models to keep the revenue stream going for as long as they can . . .

    I had a long chat with Crenno about doing the whole "Porsche Exclusive" thing in the HSV world and in the end it sort of got handed to WP in their early days and never got the right approach from that entity - although I did have a long meet with WP (CP and the late Alan Hale) when they first started down at Elfin in Braeside which provide a few tricky things - but not anywhere near as much as we discussed

    I actually drew the WP DD exhaust tip for them that day and they at least went ahead with that - which was pretty neat back in the day

    Somebody needs to provide parts send backup into the future and Holden (HSPO) probably aren't interested so HSV are going to make it part of the overall "Fusion Automotive" Business

    Hi Nitrate

    Many years ago, I'm talking the early to middle period of 2000 - 2008 there was much comment in regard to using carbon fibre for road cars as too after market replacement parts due to the way carbon fibre deforms upon impact. As you'd be aware, metal crumples and dents. Carbon fibre will shatter and break leaving large jagged pieces and this is the area of concern that was raised many years ago for pedestrian safety, rather the same as bullbars on 4wd's and the damage it was causing pedestrians upon impact.

    I, we both know that there are numerous cars on the market in Australia that now use carbon fibre panels and parts however these are all high end imported sports cars. Can you or Graeme see carbon fibre parts such as front bars, bonnets etc. produced and fitted to locally produced vehicles over this issue or will too become something else for safety groups to whinge about like bullbars?

    I'm also wondering if in fact this order may be for Ford? I say this because apparently there is a special redevelopment of the XR6 Turbo happening and due for release in the first half of 2016 which I can't recall I read last week or watched a video on YouTube by Mark Short who made comment on this. Ford have always targeted the XR6T at the young guy and it has proven exceptionally popular there and of course all younger guys love/drool over carbon fibre. Might make sense for Ford to release a limited special edition of the XR6T too.

    Graeme can correct me on this, but would it be correct to say, or we shouldn't expect there to be a GTS-R type of vehicle until 2017? If that's the case, what would HSV be fitting carbon fibre parts to in 2016?

    P.S. I had no idea that Graeme designed the Double "D" exhaust tips. They are the first thing I fit to any VX I purchase as there is no better looking exhaust tip on the market for that period of vehicle.


    2017 GEN-F2 HSV GTSR Heron White 6M 844
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Nitrate Silver 6M 098 (Gone)
    2013 GEN-F HSV GTS Heron White 6A 617 (Gone)
    2013 VF SSV Redline Nitrate Silver 6M (Gone)
    2002 VX SS II Quicksilver 6M
    Dream Car:- HSV VL SS GRP A


    Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like hell!







Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •